Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Metallic rattle

Tonight I noticed a metallic rattle on the left front it sounded like doing 85 mph on my way home. I'm not sure if it was just a heat shield or something else but I'll try to listen for it on my way to work tomorrow.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Not really sure. Can you feel a shake or vibration in the steering wheel when you hear this? It's possible your wheel/tire is out of balance.
It could also be your exhaust touching the heat shields or bottom of car, especially if you have aftermarket full length headers.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
I noticed the same thing right after My Supercharger was installed. I was going fast, maybe 60 or 70mph and was paddle downshifting from 4th gear. Lasted only a second. Have not been able to repeat it for service rep though. Thought it was related to SC but now, not sure. Perhaps it is more related to the more aggressive driving I now do with the SC.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Anyone else notice this??
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Here is a novel idea. Take it to the dealer where they have people trained to diagnose and repair your car for free under warranty. I know, I know, nobody trust the dealerships and its much better to get funny noises diagnosed by strangers on the internet who can't hear it. Forget I mentioned it. My idea sucks
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
I have to same problem and it only happens when i go high speeds, i know i dont need to be going fast, but its the point that it does it anyway :/

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Here is a novel idea. Take it to the dealer where they have people trained to diagnose and repair your car for free under warranty. I know, I know, nobody trust the dealerships and its much better to get funny noises diagnosed by strangers on the internet who can't hear it. Forget I mentioned it. My idea sucks
I am not whining. I was merely inquiring if this was a common sound and if anyone ever had it happen. If I am truly concerned I WILL take it to the dealer and utilize the warranty that came with the car. To me it sounds like a heat shield, which at that point every car has a heat shield that rattles. Usually I end up removing the heat shield if it is truly bit needed.

Another thing is this site is for discussing the 5th generation Camaro. That is what we are here for and that is what we are for. If you don't like stupid posts or ideas don't look at or comment on them. Under your screen name says tired of whiners. You are one of them. Don't be a hypocrite nobody likes that.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
as i said in my post, i did take it to the dealer but was unable to reproduce it for him.

really, though, this website is replete with fixes for a multitude of issues that Dealers could not address or not until many of us complained en mass.

case in point is the Sux2bu fix for the rub marks on the conv. tops. GM virtually copied it in its tsb months after sux posted it.

i think this website ROCKS!
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness11 View Post
I am not whining. I was merely inquiring if this was a common sound and if anyone ever had it happen. If I am truly concerned I WILL take it to the dealer and utilize the warranty that came with the car. To me it sounds like a heat shield, which at that point every car has a heat shield that rattles. Usually I end up removing the heat shield if it is truly bit needed.

Another thing is this site is for discussing the 5th generation Camaro. That is what we are here for and that is what we are for. If you don't like stupid posts or ideas don't look at or comment on them. Under your screen name says tired of whiners. You are one of them. Don't be a hypocrite nobody likes that.
I didn't whine. I suggested taking it to a dealer to get it fixed. Then I realized what a stupid idea it was and said nevermind. Obviously you agree and have things well in hand. I myself wouldn't know which heat shields are not really needed and were just designed, manufactured and installed for the heck of it so I would get stuck taking it to my dealer.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Not sure if mine is the same, but in my case, one of the welds that hold one of the baffles inside of my muffler broke. The noise happens between 1400-1600 RPM, especially 67-69 MPH. My dealer has ordered an new exhaust system for my car. They are installing it on Thursday.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
I didn't whine. I suggested taking it to a dealer to get it fixed. Then I realized what a stupid idea it was and said nevermind. Obviously you agree and have things well in hand. I myself wouldn't know which heat shields are not really needed and were just designed, manufactured and installed for the heck of it so I would get stuck taking it to my dealer.
Actually, your post was dripping with sarcasm and laced with a mean-spirited tone. It was unhelpful and uncalled for.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Actually, your post was dripping with sarcasm and laced with a mean-spirited tone. It was unhelpful and uncalled for.
If you read through Camaro5 there are probably hundreds of post of people asking questions about something that is wrong with their car. In every one people tell them to take it to their dealer. A huge amount of those people say they dont trust anyone to touch their car. Well...Finally they take it to their dealer and it gets fixed and they are happy. Now, if your dealer can not diagnose or fix the problem then obviously it's a not a bad idea to seek other resources while your dealer is working with technical support. Sarcasm? Yes. It also had what I consider a very valid suggestion of taking it to the dealer where they have all the proper tools, equipment, training and technical support to diagnose and repair or replace defective components. Best of all if the car is still under warranty then you get all that work and parts for FREE. If the OP would rather just remove parts then he is welcome to have at it.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
If you read through Camaro5 there are probably hundreds of post of people asking questions about something that is wrong with their car. In every one people tell them to take it to their dealer. A huge amount of those people say they dont trust anyone to touch their car. Well...Finally they take it to their dealer and it gets fixed and they are happy. Now, if your dealer can not diagnose or fix the problem then obviously it's a not a bad idea to seek other resources while your dealer is working with technical support. Sarcasm? Yes. It also had what I consider a very valid suggestion of taking it to the dealer where they have all the proper tools, equipment, training and technical support to diagnose and repair or replace defective components. Best of all if the car is still under warranty then you get all that work and parts for FREE. If the OP would rather just remove parts then he is welcome to have at it.
Everybody likes a little ass but nobody likes a smart-ass.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
sw1ssauto

Drives: 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Not sure if mine is the same, but in my case, one of the welds that hold one of the baffles inside of my muffler broke. The noise happens between 1400-1600 RPM, especially 67-69 MPH. My dealer has ordered an new exhaust system for my car. They are installing it on Thursday.
What he said......ya
sw1ssauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
sw1ssauto

Drives: 2012 1SS
There was a thread with pictures of where to hit the exhaust with a rubber hammer to find the noise. The tsb had this method in it.
sw1ssauto is offline   Reply With Quote