Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
Replacement for the factory tonneau cover

Has anyone here got a replacement for the amateurish tonneau cover that comes with the vehicle? I would like something like I had on my '60 Austin-Healy. A leather cover that fastened to the car with snaps. I have contacted a couple of shops around here, including one that makes custom boat covers, and have not had any luck. I have never seen any in the online accessories places either. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for a shop that does that kind of work and has the proper equipment. One shop told me that I wouldn't want to put snaps into the car. Why not, if they serve a good purpose and are installed properly?
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I haven't seen anything like what you describe. I do know there are modifications you can make to the factory cover that will make it more secure. Take a look at the convertible section for the thread.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
How long did you have your Austin-Healy? Were any of the snaps loose by the time you sold it?

Each snap will necessitate a hole, as you know. Each hole is a corrosion risk. Each snap can come loose. As it comes loose snapping it can fracture the paint. The crack will allow moisture in. Even the small amount of flex can cause a crack under the snap you can't see.

Even without going into the aesthetics of snaps on your modern car, those old English cars had tonneau covers becasue the tops were fiddly, not to mention manually operated and a pain in the ass. The idea was to reduce the amount of times you had to move the top by hand.

I have owned an old convertible since 1989. Hydraulic roof. I have replaced it myself twice, and I do not ever just sit in the car and hit the button to raise or lower. I get out of the car, and hit the button from the outside until the roof is straight up. I then position the pads and roof material to that there's no chafing as it goes into the 'down' position.

I learned that trick after I saw where the first roof I installed got worn fast. Don't put snaps in your bodywork, just be more hands on with your roof. Tonneau covers are a solution to a problem you don't have to have.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
trcsr

I had the AH from '74 until around '80; my father had had it for at least 10 years before I got it. It has been so long ago, and my memory is not what it used to be, so I don't remember exact dates, but I do not remember any leaks, paint chips, or rusting on the snaps. I would think that SS snaps would be available and that with proper installation there would not be any leaks or paint chips. I really liked that cover as it was very easy to put on and take off, and had a zipper down the middle so that only the drivers seat was open and could be quickly opened and closed. The only draw back that I remember was that if outside in a moderate to heavy rain some water did get down behind the dash. So, I usually did not drive it anywhere with the top down if there was a chance of rain. I did have a passenger compartment cover for my Miata that covered from the windshield to the trunk, which would be acceptable, but I haven't found any for the Camaro.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
Has anyone here got a replacement for the amateurish tonneau cover that comes with the vehicle? I would like something like I had on my '60 Austin-Healy. A leather cover that fastened to the car with snaps. I have contacted a couple of shops around here, including one that makes custom boat covers, and have not had any luck. I have never seen any in the online accessories places either. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for a shop that does that kind of work and has the proper equipment. One shop told me that I wouldn't want to put snaps into the car. Why not, if they serve a good purpose and are installed properly?
This is about the closest you'll come to the vintage 60's "cockpit cover" for the 5th Gen. 'vert.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353958

A metal "snaps" type cover is something you'd have to have custom-made, unfortunately. A really good top shop might fabricate something like this for you (the problem is finding one who'll do a "one-off" and I'll bet it'll be expensive) Then, you'd need to procure the snaps.

The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky had a "tonneau cover" (cockpit cover) as a GM approved dealer installed option (see attached pic). I'm confident snaps (for the tonneau and for the body are still available through GM but don't have a part number. Someone on the skyroadster.com forum will have the # for sure. This has a zipper to expose only the driver side. Check out this thread on skyroadster for a pic with it on the Pontiac Solstice half open http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...13/#post404026

I was thinking of adding this to my Sky Redline but opted not to as the whole installation of the snaps thing was very iffy with the dealers I spoke with.

To be honest, I don't think a "cockpit cover" would look all that great on a vehicle as large as the 5th Gen 'vert. Then again, if you're more focused on purely on function rather than aesthetics, it's also and option.
Attached Images

3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 04-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
trcsr

BaBa, thanks for your reply and information. This is exactly what I am talking about and looking for. I do want it more for function than for aesthetics and the prices of Car Cover Direct are very reasonable. However, they don't go past '12 in there catalog. I will call them at my first chance to see if the '12 will fit a '13. As I said in my original post, I have contacted a couple of top shops in my area and none were interested; one was even a boat accessory shop and they weren't the least bit interested, that is why I went to the Forums to get information, just as you have provided. This is exactly what these Forums are all about. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
BaBa, thanks for your reply and information. This is exactly what I am talking about and looking for.

I do want it more for function than for aesthetics and the prices of Car Cover Direct are very reasonable. However, they don't go past '12 in there catalog. I will call them at my first chance to see if the '12 will fit a '13.

As I said in my original post, I have contacted a couple of top shops in my area and none were interested; one was even a boat accessory shop and they weren't the least bit interested, that is why I went to the Forums to get information, just as you have provided. This is exactly what these Forums are all about.

Thanks again.
You're most welcome. If their cover fits a '12, it "should" fit a '13. There weren't any body changes until '14.

Please let keep us informed about what you find out and whether you order one (as well as cost, pics of cover, etc.).
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
trcsr

I checked with Car Covers Direct and they said that, indeed, the '12 version will fit the '13. So, I will buy one as soon as my clear vinyl front end bra comes in and gets installed. Plus, somewhere in there I need to get my wheels chromed from LA Wheel and Tire.