Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
jazznurse

Drives: 2012 ZL1;2011 Cruze
After market wheels

Has any one found a source yet for aftermarket wheels for the ZL1? Tire rack and a few others I checked don't have anything yet. I did find a source for the recommended winter tires, so I'm looking for rims to mount them. Never too soon to be thinking about winter. We get plenty of days in the 40's during September.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
TheMichael

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #349, 1969 Camaro SS
What did you find for winters if you don't mind me asking?
TheMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
jazznurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMichael View Post
What did you find for winters if you don't mind me asking?

I found someone who is able to get the GM recommendedPirelli Winter Sottozero 305/35R 104V rear and Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Series II XL 285/35R 104V for the front.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Shouldn't pretty much any wheel that fits an SS also fit a ZL1?

*edit*
as long as they're 19" or more, to clear the brakes
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
I was thinking the same thing. Get somebody's cast offs.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
jazznurse

I don't think so. 20 X 10 in the front, 20 x 11 rear. If you don't put on what the computer was set up for, you have to get it reprogramed. Then when you put the summer tires back on, you'll need to repeat the process. And even though they are winter tires, I'll want to take advantage of the PTM, most notable mode 1, wet conditions. If I'm paying for it, I may as well use it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznurse View Post
I don't think so. 20 X 10 in the front, 20 x 11 rear. If you don't put on what the computer was set up for, you have to get it reprogramed. Then when you put the summer tires back on, you'll need to repeat the process. And even though they are winter tires, I'll want to take advantage of the PTM, most notable mode 1, wet conditions. If I'm paying for it, I may as well use it.
If you are that concerned about upsetting the computers, why are you even considering anything other than a set of stock replacement wheels? I mean, the whole point of going with aftermarket wheels is to get you something different from what comes from the factory. You want something to perfectly match the physical properties of the factory wheels so that you can have a set for your winter tires (by the way, tires would probably throw off the computers as much as, or more than, the wheels themselves). The only way to match the factory wheels in every regard (width may or may not factor into things, but others like weight & their inertial properties do) is to get another set of factory wheels.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If you are that concerned about upsetting the computers, why are you even considering anything other than a set of stock replacement wheels? I mean, the whole point of going with aftermarket wheels is to get you something different from what comes from the factory. You want something to perfectly match the physical properties of the factory wheels so that you can have a set for your winter tires (by the way, tires would probably throw off the computers as much as, or more than, the wheels themselves). The only way to match the factory wheels in every regard (width may or may not factor into things, but others like weight & their inertial properties do) is to get another set of factory wheels.

Yeah, I would think as long as you got the height of the tires as close as you could you should be alright. Mostly so it doesn't throw off your speedometer. No matter what tire you get, other than factory, it will hinder the PTM to an extent. Rim size and tire width should not matter, as long as it ain't rubbing anything.

Pretty sure no one has or will take the time to reprogram the PTM for different tire packages. Reprogramming should not be required in any case unless you want to recalibrate your speedo. My 2 pennies.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznurse View Post
Has any one found a source yet for aftermarket wheels for the ZL1? Tire rack and a few others I checked don't have anything yet. I did find a source for the recommended winter tires, so I'm looking for rims to mount them. Never too soon to be thinking about winter. We get plenty of days in the 40's during September.
Forgeline has wheels with the correct offsets!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote