Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ten Best QBs ever. NFL............

I've allways had John Elway imo as the best.

I'm too young to have watched Johnny U or Otto Graham.

Joe Montana was imo the poster child for 'Product of the System' but I still have him in my top 5.

Funny, no Marino on Claytons list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ohn&id=4838773

Quote:
John Clayton's List Of Greatest NFL QBs

1. Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts and San Diego Chargers: Unitas opened the eyes of coaches who loved running the football and playing defense. He taught the NFL that a smart quarterback could lead a passing attack from the field and become the ultimate field general.
2. Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs: Playing for Bill Walsh's 49ers, Montana made the West Coast offense a household word in the NFL. With four Super Bowl rings, it could be argued he's No. 1.
3. Otto Graham, Cleveland Browns: Most football fans under the age of 50 aren't familiar with him, but Graham was a great passer. He starred in the 1940s and 1950s, but he could have played with this generation of quarterbacks. Counting the Browns' play in the old All-America Football Conference (AAFC) -- as recognized by the Pro Football Hall Of Fame -- he guided the team to 10 division or league crowns in 10 years.

4 John Elway, Denver Broncos: He won two Super Bowls in his final two seasons to legitimize one of the NFL's greatest careers. He led the Broncos to five Super Bowl appearances.

5. Brett Favre, Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets and Minnesota Vikings: He's throwing as well at the age of 40 as he was when he was in his early 30s. Another Super Bowl ring could put him ahead of Elway.

6. Dan Marino, Miami Dolphins: Marino had one of the greatest arms in the history of the game. It's a shame he went to only one Super Bowl. He was the ultimate passer and leader on the field.

7. Tom Brady, New England Patriots: His three Super Bowl rings and 14-4 playoff record ranks him ahead of Peyton Manning, but Manning is on the rise.

8. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts: Manning has changed the game with his ability to work out of the shotgun and run a no-huddle offense. He is on the verge of jumping closer to the top five and possibly the top three in the next couple of seasons.

9. Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers: Because the Steelers won their first two Super Bowls relying on the Steel Curtain defense and a solid running game, Bradshaw might have slipped through the cracks among the all-time greats. In their third and fourth Super Bowl wins, the Steelers were a fine passing team under Bradshaw.

10. Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers: Starr was the perfect leader for the perfect dynasty. He was the offensive leader who made it all work.

Last edited by PQ; 01-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I've allways had John Elway imo as the best.

I'm too young to have watched Johnny U or Otto Graham.

Joe Montana was imo the poster child for 'Product of the System' but I still have him in my top 5.

Funny, no Marino on Claytons list.

I agree with everything you said above

you know Elway is the one superstar who went out the BEST way throwing his 40 year old body at two 20 year olds at the goalline to win the superbowl then he retired

Now if only micheal had stayed retired after that one last shot oh well props to elway he is a leagend

Marino needs to be on that list sorry.

And yes even though he didnt win shorty out of the top 10 is jim kelly and steve young and Troy Aikman.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
You young people forget about Bart Starr, needs to be on the list some where!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post

And yes even though he didnt win shorty out of the top 10 is jim kelly and steve young and Troy Aikman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
1 Roger Staubach
2 Johnny Unitas
3 Fran Tarkenton
4 Troy Aikman
5 Terry Bradshaw

That's the only correct top five. Everybody else is wrong. LOL
Like Dallas much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
You young people forget about Bart Starr, needs to be on the list some where!
Oh crap. I forgot to put Claytons list and link.

Updated the op.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Like Dallas much?

Oh crap. I forgot to put Claytons list and link.

Updated the op.
"Oh, never mind!" Emily Latela
Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
I think he's got Favre too high up on the list.....and Brady too low, just sayin
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
I think he's got Favre too high up on the list.....and Brady too low, just sayin
I agree.

I'd put Brady in the Top 5.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
No Marino? then who is that wanker at #6???

My top 7 NFL QB's of all time... after all is said and done....

1. Tim Tebow

Just kidding.

1. Peyton Manning - I know he isn't there yet, but I think he wins another 2 (including this years) Superbowls. You give me another QB and I'll tell you something wrong with him. Elway leaned on the run game. Montana was a system QB. Marino couldn't win a SB. Unitas never proved himself against the level of competition that plays today.

2. Dan Marino - I know he couldn't get to the super bowl, but he had the best arm in the history of the NFL. You give him Jerry Rice and the 49er's D and you'll see who has 4 SB rings.

3. Montana. - Can't argue with the ice man. 4th quarter, who would you rather have with the ball?

4. John Elway - Common. He's John Elway.

5. Brett Farve - Leadership, consistency and his recent success with the Vikings makes me think if he had better WR's in Green Bay he'd have more than 1 SB.

6. Tom Brady. - I hate you Tom Brady.

7. Johnny Unitas - He built the passing game, and for that he deserves credit... but put him on an NFL roster today and you think he still dominates like he did? Not a chance.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Manning above brady, and the rest are good in the list in the op.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
OK... I've got to throw Dan Fouts in there... with all his 400yd passing games..
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
who has the most records??
#4 Favre
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Well, I guess I will give my top 5.

1. John Elway. He gets the edge because out of most of the list, he's the only one who played in the elements and still made the list. Imagine if he had played more games in the warm weather and had HOF type recievers. He only leaned on the running game toward the end. But make no mistake, the Broncos went as far as Elway would take them.
2. Tom Brady. Like Elway, he played in a LOT of bad weather and, until Moss, had crap for recievers for the most part. Brady did benefit from a Defense that was one of the best but he also was hamstrung by a coach who wanted to play ball control and yet Brady still made the difference. In games where ball control wasn't working, Belichek would let Tom be Tom and take over the game. In a system that called for a 'Game Manager' type QB, he still managed to carve out HOF numbers.
3. Dan Marino. His quick release is what we now use as the benchmark for how a NFL QB should do it. Accurate and had an 'Elwayesque' cannon for an arm. Marino could just 'will' his team down the feild. Nothing was impossible while he was on the feild. If there ever was a QB that you had to play 61 minutes against, it was Marino.
4. Peyton Manning. You may never again see a better and more accurate down the feild pass. It's almost like an art form. Could very well be at the top of the list before it's done. Any pressure on him usually spells something ugly. But it's the ONLY thing you can remotely find to critisize him for. And I thought about it for a while. lol
5. Joe Montana. He gets dropped to 5 because he's the poster child for the term 'System QB'. Not his fault and his final years with KC weren't terrible. He played in warm weather and had Jerry Rice for a reciever. Again, not his fault but arm strength was a question and not needed as much as with the 4 above him because of the system he was in. Short passes and run after catch is where a lot of numbers come from. Still, one of the very best.

It's a fun topic and there are no right answers. I watched all of these guys play and was very familiar with them. Some of the older guys like Graham and Unitas I can't speak too much for but I agree with Zues, that the players from 30 years ago wouldn't translate very well to todays game.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
1. Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers

And he is the only one on the list, all the rest start in the 2nd sheet of paper.

4 superbowl wins

2 in a row twice, 2 years apart.
[Which no one will ever repeat]

All great QB rely on a good defence and goes without saying.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
1. Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers

And he is the only one on the list, all the rest start in the 2nd sheet of paper.

4 superbowl wins

2 in a row twice, 2 years apart.
[Which no one will ever repeat]

All great QB rely on a good defence and goes without saying.
Definatley worthy of top 5. I just remember watching a bunch of ugly passes. lol

Not a real good spiral.