Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Tylers

Drives: highlander
Trying to figure out which camaro to get

Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and got my license in early may of this year. Since then I've been driving the family hand me down which is an '06 highlander hybrid. As my little brother is getting his permit in mid march it will my time to get a new car as he gets the highlander. Although I know it's a ways out I'm a bit of a car buff and so I'm getting excited and preparing now. So heres my dilemma. First of all, my dad wants to get me an accord instead so that's something I have to talk him out of at the moment but if you have any good argument tips it would help me out. Any ways, when it gets the the camaro my obvious goal is a 2ss with the rs package and the 2 10" mtx subs. I'm not quite sure this will happen though as he probably doesn't want me in something quite that speedy because I'm known to have a bit of a lead foot. Also because I live in oklahoma where we get some snow and ice in the winters the rear wheel drive concerns him and with the extra power it doesnt really help. So anyways if i dont get the 2ss then I'm going to end up with the 2lt hopefully with rs package and the 2 10's. Anyways, i just wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions as to what i should get/what your opinions on those are as it would be a huge help. Thanks in advance!

*also dont say i shouldn't be geting a camaro because im going to wreck it because i can't handle the power since I'm so young. I'm very used to much more power as i drive an f430 spider pretty often in the summer/fall and i have also driven an s63 a few times and a db9 a few times, a supercharged mini cooper quite often and when i get out to the track i race around a toyota spec car (basically a toyota celica engine on a super lightweight fiberglass body tuned for racing) so i am very much accustomed to power.
Tylers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I would get the 2LT without the RS package if the winter and rear wheel drive is a concern because the pirelli's arent the best tire in cold/bad weather to say the least. I would also recommend the LT model mostly because of the insurance rates that would come with an SS. If you get an RS car and you are concerned about the bad weather then just pick up some winter tires and wheels on ebay , whichwill be cheaper if you have the LT because of the Brimbos on an SS , and of course with the SS the gas is going to cost you more. Either way I would rather have an LS Camaro over an accord so if you get the chance to get one then do it , no matter the trim level.......you can always make the car your own with all the aftermarket companies out there nowadays.............good luck and BE SAFE!!!!
shawn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Tylers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
I would get the 2LT without the RS package if the winter and rear wheel drive is a concern because the pirelli's arent the best tire in cold/bad weather to say the least. I would also recommend the LT model mostly because of the insurance rates that would come with an SS. If you get an RS car and you are concerned about the bad weather then just pick up some winter tires and wheels on ebay , whichwill be cheaper if you have the LT because of the Brimbos on an SS , and of course with the SS the gas is going to cost you more. Either way I would rather have an LS Camaro over an accord so if you get the chance to get one then do it , no matter the trim level.......you can always make the car your own with all the aftermarket companies out there nowadays.............good luck and BE SAFE!!!!
yeah good points. i'm definitely going to have to get some cheapy wheels and good winter tires for the winter and theres no doubt theres going to be some modding (oracle colorshift halos and rims are at the top of that list at the moment) thanks for weighing in.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Answers to your questions

I've got all your questions answered. Back when I was 16 my father wanted me to buy a Accord coupe.. Mainly because he loves ONLY Honda's and Porsches. Of course I wasn't going to get a Porsche, but at the time I was looking at the Accord and also at that given time the Camaro was being set as a concept and moving forward into production. Now of course I wanted the Camaro over the Accord for the obvious reasons. I'll be completely honest.. Overall the Camaro is the better overall car to get (that's if you get a V6). I don't know about your insurance, but I am with StateFarm and my insurance is cheaper by 100 bucks if I got the Camaro rather than the Accord.. This absolutely shocked me. The insurance agent told me it was because it was a safer car to drive and it is very difficult to steal. Also.. If your like me.. You want every option into your car. A fully loaded Accord is more expensive than a fully loaded 2LT. That's a FACT. So a year ago I presented all of this information to my father (who is a conservative old school banker) and he was very impressed with my findings. I promise you... You tell your father what I told mine and you will be well on your way to convincing him. Personally I am getting the 2LT because I am paying for my car in cash by myself. While also paying for the insurance and the gas.. That's what kept me away from the 2SS.. Also if you really like the bumper (like I did) on the SS.. You can always get it swapped out and still save a couple thousand dollars. I am a mere month away from purchasing my 2LT IOM and I can't be more excited. Weather you choose a 2LT or a 2SS.. You will love it no matter what. Do with what you know will make you happy and what will fit within your budget. Btw.. It'll be nice to have another Camaro5 owner around the same age as I am in Tulsa. Look forward to seeing you around in your car in the future! Best wishes

Blake
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Tylers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
I've got all your questions answered. Back when I was 16 my father wanted me to buy a Accord coupe.. Mainly because he loves ONLY Honda's and Porsches. Of course I wasn't going to get a Porsche, but at the time I was looking at the Accord and also at that given time the Camaro was being set as a concept and moving forward into production. Now of course I wanted the Camaro over the Accord for the obvious reasons. I'll be completely honest.. Overall the Camaro is the better overall car to get (that's if you get a V6). I don't know about your insurance, but I am with StateFarm and my insurance is cheaper by 100 bucks if I got the Camaro rather than the Accord.. This absolutely shocked me. The insurance agent told me it was because it was a safer car to drive and it is very difficult to steal. Also.. If your like me.. You want every option into your car. A fully loaded Accord is more expensive than a fully loaded 2LT. That's a FACT. So a year ago I presented all of this information to my father (who is a conservative old school banker) and he was very impressed with my findings. I promise you... You tell your father what I told mine and you will be well on your way to convincing him. Personally I am getting the 2LT because I am paying for my car in cash by myself. While also paying for the insurance and the gas.. That's what kept me away from the 2SS.. Also if you really like the bumper (like I did) on the SS.. You can always get it swapped out and still save a couple thousand dollars. I am a mere month away from purchasing my 2LT IOM and I can't be more excited. Weather you choose a 2LT or a 2SS.. You will love it no matter what. Do with what you know will make you happy and what will fit within your budget. Btw.. It'll be nice to have another Camaro5 owner around the same age as I am in Tulsa. Look forward to seeing you around in your car in the future! Best wishes

Blake
wow!!! I think you might be saving my ass here man. Another reason for accord is it got slightly better crash ratings but i am also with state farm and if what you say is true which I am going to find out then thats a huge plus. And you're right on the ball with the fully loaded there no doubt I'm going to be getting all the options. Money isn't the issue here because my dad is going to be paying for it and he spent 41g on my older sisters car (a fully loaded 2010 highlander) when she got her new car. Parents also pay for gas and insurance through college. And no doubt I'll be seeing you around as I'm also in tulsa!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
I'm glad I can be of service! Best advice I can give you is never stop researching this car. Camaro5.com is full of knowledge. I knew nothing about cars when I first joined.. Now I know a lot more than I thought I ever would. I'm use to tricking out electronics.. Not cars.. Now I am stoked to mod my 2LT I'll be getting soon. As far as mods are concerned.. Research what you want and file them into bookmarks on your internet browser. This way you can go back and look at them later when you have your lady in your driveway. For me personally I believe I am going after the LED mirrors first. They look sick! I am also going to integrate my iPad into my Camaro for navigation and I'm buying one of the new iPod nano's for a music player bc iPhones don't get along well with car stereos. There is a lot more I am going to do to her, but most of it is appearance. I'm not going to do any engine mods or anything related to it because I'm not knowledgeable enough to take that on yet. Heck.. I want to drive that lady around a little bit before I lock myself in the garage doing mods all day and night lol. Now.. As far as winter is concerned.. You and I both know the winters are very unpredictable in our state. My best guess is we will have a huge snow storm and a ice storm this season. I have yet to figure out what my plans will be for conquering the winter.. Most people I talk to say I will be fine with the built in traction control. I'm sure you are a very alert driver like myself, but we both know all the crazies come out when there is snow and ice on the road.. Why? Bc we are Oklahoma and we are proud to do whatever the F we want!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
why a 2SS. Get a Carrera GT, or a ZR1, or....leave the cheap ones to the not so lucky kids. Will ur father adopt me, pleaseeeee.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Good luck. Enjoy your new accord.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
Tylers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
why a 2SS. Get a Carrera GT, or a ZR1, or....leave the cheap ones to the not so lucky kids. Will ur father adopt me, pleaseeeee.
ok dude my parents are dumbasses. It's not like they're going to go buy me a supercar and I'm not aloud to getting a designer brand cars ie. bmw, mercedes, lexus etc. The camaro is going to be hard enough to talk them into because they think its too flashy for me.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #10
Tylers

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Good luck. Enjoy your new accord.
thanks man, thats a very possible outcome in this.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
IROCTPI

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 305 TPI 700R4
I say just go for the 2lt+RS for the already mentioned reasons. Good luck.

Me -14! year old guy -- My Girl -1987 IROC-Z 305TPI 700R4 modded
IROCTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylers View Post
Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and got my license in early may of this year. Since then I've been driving the family hand me down which is an '06 highlander hybrid. As my little brother is getting his permit in mid march it will my time to get a new car as he gets the highlander. Although I know it's a ways out I'm a bit of a car buff and so I'm getting excited and preparing now. So heres my dilemma. First of all, my dad wants to get me an accord instead so that's something I have to talk him out of at the moment but if you have any good argument tips it would help me out. Any ways, when it gets the the camaro my obvious goal is a 2ss with the rs package and the 2 10" mtx subs. I'm not quite sure this will happen though as he probably doesn't want me in something quite that speedy because I'm known to have a bit of a lead foot. Also because I live in oklahoma where we get some snow and ice in the winters the rear wheel drive concerns him and with the extra power it doesnt really help. So anyways if i dont get the 2ss then I'm going to end up with the 2lt hopefully with rs package and the 2 10's. Anyways, i just wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions as to what i should get/what your opinions on those are as it would be a huge help. Thanks in advance!

*also dont say i shouldn't be geting a camaro because im going to wreck it because i can't handle the power since I'm so young. I'm very used to much more power as i drive an f430 spider pretty often in the summer/fall and i have also driven an s63 a few times and a db9 a few times, a supercharged mini cooper quite often and when i get out to the track i race around a toyota spec car (basically a toyota celica engine on a super lightweight fiberglass body tuned for racing) so i am very much accustomed to power.
Get a 1989 IROC-Z used. Sorry, but I don't care how fantastic of a kid some are, they should NEVER learn to drive on a car like this. You have zero experience driving, and need a used car you can abuse and learn how to eventually take care of.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
have fun paying insurance being 16 and having any camaro
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
camarofanatic

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Get a 1989 IROC-Z used. Sorry, but I don't care how fantastic of a kid some are, they should NEVER learn to drive on a car like this. You have zero experience driving, and need a used car you can abuse and learn how to eventually take care of.
i couldnt agree with you more im 21 i learned the hard way. my first car was a 95 yukon then i picked up a 94 saturn until my camaro came i got the v6 and its got plenty of power. i learned the hard way because i did get stopped a few times after the 2nd time of being stopped i said no more horsing around. i said to myself im not going to speed or horse around around but sure enough it happened. luckily i didnt get any tickets. the moral of the story is your young, no wisdom or thinking ability and stupid things will happen. take it from me
camarofanatic is offline   Reply With Quote