Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
truckin-on

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 'vert IOM/IO
Convertible wind noise - top-up

I get a significant amount of wind noise around the windshield header on the driver side. Not sure if it's the driver window or around the header, but it's quite noticeable at anything over 60-65. Top-up of course Don't hear it at all with the top down.

Any other convertible owners care to weigh-in on wind noise issues? I don't see anything wrong with how the header is sealing, no gaps in the weather striping or anything. I hesitate to take it back to the dealer unless I can be specific on exactly what I need them to do.

It's a good bit more noisy than my 2000 Z28 convert from a wind-noise perspective. I expected it to be better, not worse.

Thanks!
truckin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
I don't get what I'd call significant wind noise with top up even at pertty high speeds. Downside to my comment, its of course subjective but I really don't notice any additional nor intrusive noise.

I think somewhere in 'Rub Marks' thread SUX2BU mentioned with his new top he gets more noise than before so there may be top-to-top variations causing the issue. My top is going to be replaced as whenever dealership gets it in so I hope it remains as quiet as before.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Yes, there is wind noise when the top is up, it is a rag-top, it happens. Sorry to be so blunt, but I am tired of all the threads complaining about it. If you don't like it, then only drive the car with the top down and get another ride for rainy days...

Maybe I have this view because it's not my DD, but when I bought a car with a soft top, I wasn't expecting it to drive or sound exactly like its coupe counterpart.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
cj7ngolf

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Convert
I have none around the header, but around the back windows, assuming it is coming from the intentional gap at the bottom of the "C" pillar area...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
truckin-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Yes, there is wind noise when the top is up, it is a rag-top, it happens. Sorry to be so blunt, but I am tired of all the threads complaining about it. If you don't like it, then only drive the car with the top down and get another ride for rainy days...

Maybe I have this view because it's not my DD, but when I bought a car with a soft top, I wasn't expecting it to drive or sound exactly like its coupe counterpart.
It IS my DD. And I've been driving a Camaro 'vert since 2000. I don't expect it to be a coupe, but I also don't expect wind whistling around the windshield header in a $43k car. It has noticeably more wind noise than my 2000 'vert at the same speed. If nobody else is experiencing it, it may be some adjustment on my car. If everyone else has it too, it's a design "feature" and no amount of dealership screwing with it is going to change the fact. That's what I'm looking to determine...

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
I have the same noise and have had my dealer look at it already. They did a water and smoke test and found that there are no problems with any of the seals. I probably have the top down 98% of the time anyway ( I live in Fl) so I can deal with it the 2% that the top is up.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Sttt5126

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
I don't seem to have any noticeable wind noise, just the normal road noise for a soft top.
Sttt5126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrider View Post
I think somewhere in 'Rub Marks' thread SUX2BU mentioned with his new top he gets more noise than before so there may be top-to-top variations causing the issue. My top is going to be replaced as whenever dealership gets it in so I hope it remains as quiet as before.
Yeah, my original top was super quiet. This new one is pretty bad with wind noise. I'm hoping after the top stretches and settles it might get better. It's not bad enough that i would leave my car at the dealer again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7ngolf View Post
I have none around the header, but around the back windows, assuming it is coming from the intentional gap at the bottom of the "C" pillar area...
That's where it sounds like mine is coming from. I need to have someone else drive it while I am in the back seat with a mechanics stethoscope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin-on View Post
It IS my DD. And I've been driving a Camaro 'vert since 2000. I don't expect it to be a coupe, but I also don't expect wind whistling around the windshield header in a $43k car. It has noticeably more wind noise than my 2000 'vert at the same speed. If nobody else is experiencing it, it may be some adjustment on my car. If everyone else has it too, it's a design "feature" and no amount of dealership screwing with it is going to change the fact. That's what I'm looking to determine...

Thanks!
I'm with you on being pissed about these little things wrong on my $44k car. I'm not swimming in cash where that kind of money is a drop in the bucket and it kind of pisses me off when people act like "What do you expect for a measly $44k."
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the convertible tops that you've all been having. truckin-on, I would like to get the process started for you by getting you setup with our Customer Assistance team to get this diagnosed and hopefully resolved for you. Anyone else who would like a case as well for this issue can message me your name, address, phone number and a short description of the issue you're having and I'll get you setup as soon as I can. I hope this helps!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the convertible tops that you've all been having. truckin-on, I would like to get the process started for you by getting you setup with our Customer Assistance team to get this diagnosed and hopefully resolved for you. Anyone else who would like a case as well for this issue can message me your name, address, phone number and a short description of the issue you're having and I'll get you setup as soon as I can. I hope this helps!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Jeff;

Is your only job to trawl our waters looking for owner's problems? I need a job where I can sit all day and surf the C5 website...

...Wait! that's all I've been doing here at work this afternoon!

Never mind. Appreciate you being involved and helping us out all the time.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
ambientweather

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS
Yep, its a design feature. My beauty whistles at 65. No biggy. The tires have more road noise than the top.

I have been a design engineer for 25 years. If the customer is complaining about the tanneau cover and the wind noise, its all good. It means the big things like the engine, tranny and body structure are good, and so the customer shifts their attention to the little things.

If the rag top and tanneau cover were perfect, we would all be complaining about the valve stems.
ambientweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
truckin-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientweather View Post
Yep, its a design feature. My beauty whistles at 65. No biggy. The tires have more road noise than the top.

I have been a design engineer for 25 years. If the customer is complaining about the tanneau cover and the wind noise, its all good. It means the big things like the engine, tranny and body structure are good, and so the customer shifts their attention to the little things.

If the rag top and tanneau cover were perfect, we would all be complaining about the valve stems.
I was not complaining, just trying to understand what other folks experienced in comparison. And I guess the answer could always be just to turn up the volume on the stereo But I would have expected a better job on airflow management over and around the top given the amount of design time GM spent on the car. I never thought it would be louder (wind noise) than my 2000 Z28 'vert with the top up, but then perhaps I didn't realize how good the 2000 really was in comparison.

It's not a huge issue with me, especially if "they all do it" and nothing can be done about it, but if not, I'd sure like to see it addressed.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
After having a jeep for so long, my vert seems pretty dang quiet.
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRA View Post
After having a jeep for so long, my vert seems pretty dang quiet.

Funny! Me too, sold an '03 TJ to pick this up. Makes this feel like a bank vault.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote