Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
Song Information Displayed on Head Unit

I was wondering what the "Updated" Bose stereo in my 08 SS Impala would display, as far as song info, so I recorded a CD from ITUNES playlist, as well as used the New Nickelback CD purchased from the store.

All the display said was Disc 1 Track 1????????

For both types of CD's!!

I guess the difference is the head unit. I think it was UCF who had pictures of a Zune player having song info displayed on the head unit of the Camaro.

I'm hoping that the song info will be displayed with the music coming off a 32 GB USB Flash Drive installed in the center console area.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
The problem isn't the unit its the CD you're burning. CD audio tracks don't* include any sort of title or artist information. If you burn those same MP3s onto a CD-R as a data CD (not "music" as that will convert them) your deck should be able to play them right off there and should display the song title and artist, etc. Best of all, you'll be able to put way more music on one CD than if you had just burned it as a normal CD.

*I think there's some way of encoding song info onto a cd but I don't think it's heavily supported.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Here is what you can do ... if you want to take the time ... You could always take that and rip the songs back to MP3 .. you can then just use windows explorer to edit the files and add title etc to the song ... this is what is displayed by the stereo .. (not sure if you could do the same thing to however Itunes saves it to disk .. just go there and see if you can do the same thing)

Crowley
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Here is what you can do ... if you want to take the time ... You could always take that and rip the songs back to MP3 .. you can then just use windows explorer to edit the files and add title etc to the song ... this is what is displayed by the stereo .. (not sure if you could do the same thing to however Itunes saves it to disk .. just go there and see if you can do the same thing)

Crowley
Oops, yea... you're right. Missed the whole "purchased from iTunes" thing. basically, don't buy songs from iTunes store because they're not compatible with crap other than iPods and iTunes or else you'll have to go through the painful process crowley said. If they're purchased but not encrypted (only recent purchases) you should be able to convert them to MP3 directly (I think there's a way to do it directly from iTunes).
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

The ITUNES CD were mp3 files. It did ask what type of CD I wanted to make. I thought for sure that this CD would display the song info.

UCF- I'll try what you said. I'm sure that dtat cd was one of the options- I just didn't think that would work at all, so I didnt't select that option. The option I did select mentioned something about including text.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Do you really need the radio to tell you what song you're listening to? Call me crazy, but I like to keep my eyes on the road when I'm driving...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
Do you really need the radio to tell you what song you're listening to? Call me crazy, but I like to keep my eyes on the road when I'm driving...
Who said I was driving? This is for when your in the back seat with the wife and you need to select the "Right Song"!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
Who said I was driving? This is for when your in the back seat with the wife and you need to select the "Right Song"!!!

I hope you and the wife are tiny...

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
*I think there's some way of encoding song info onto a cd but I don't think it's heavily supported.
I think theres a setting in iTunes when you go into the burning options. i had this problem a while ago, and now when i burn cd's the track info comes up when i'm in the car.

I forget what it is because i dont have iTunes on my work computer, but theres a box you have to check off, i think its IDE tags, or something to that effect, i might be way off, but i know theres some setting that will put the track info onto the cd when you burn. I also burn in the regular format, and not MP3. I hope someone who knows what i'm trying to say will chime in.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
I think this is one of the greatest little details added to cars recently. I freaking adore that my stereo tells me what I'm listening to on the radio...when the stations broadcast the digital info.

This is also why I really wish we were getting an HD radio option...maybe they will have them by 2011 for the 'verts.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Most new CD Burners have the capability to "write" text along with songs, regardless of whether you burned a mp3, data or music CD. Just make sure your burner has that capability. You will also need to tell the cd burner to write the text (title, song name, artist, etc.) through the software that you use.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Most new CD Burners have the capability to "write" text along with songs, regardless of whether you burned a mp3, data or music CD. Just make sure your burner has that capability. You will also need to tell the cd burner to write the text (title, song name, artist, etc.) through the software that you use.

That's what is throwing me off- it asked if I wanted to add text and I checked yes. The other option was to make it a data cd. Wasn't sure what that would do.

I didn't see no box for selecting id3 tags. I thought adding text was the same. Maybe the stereo just doesn't display song titles. I thought that the store bought Nickelback CD would have displayed it as well.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
mwoodengr
Clueless Member

Drives: 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I think this is one of the greatest little details added to cars recently. I freaking adore that my stereo tells me what I'm listening to on the radio...when the stations broadcast the digital info.

This is also why I really wish we were getting an HD radio option...maybe they will have them by 2011 for the 'verts.
The new camaro will most definetely have the digital information on the radio, which you are referring to as "HD radio". Chevy has been using these radios in most of its cars for a long time (my old '05 chevy avalanche LS had one).

Original order - Cancelled
1100 = 11/15/2009
New Order
1100 = Preliminary Order: 1/26/2009
2000 = Accepted By GM: 5/27/2009
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 6/16/2009
3800 = Produced: ?
4150 = Invoiced: ?
4200 = Shipped: 7/3/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 7/14/2009
6000 = 7/18/2009
mwoodengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I hope you and the wife are tiny...
Now that was funny!!

She's about 110 lbs-- but I sure ain't. We would be, uhhh, limited.