Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Red67Stang

Drives: 2010 LS - Victory Red / Jet Blk Int
Another solution for foglights on an LS

I know there are options now for adding foglights to an LS Camaro, but I wanted to share my way...

I ordered factory GM DRL housings for an RS. I removed the black plastic fillers that come on the LS and cut the opening out. (if I were to do this again, I'd just buy the new bezels and save the hassle of cutting them). I went to Advance Auto and bought 2 light sockets (part # 85816) which use 194 or 921 bulbs and fit nicely in the factory housing. I bought a pair of LED 194 bulbs. I popped the front sidemarker lenses out of the bumper and ran the sockets and wires into the holes and pulled them through the bottom of the bumper. I then connected the sockets to the foglights. On the other end, I used quick splice connectors and spliced into the sidemarker wiring. I liked the connectors I bought because they were a nice quality and can easily be removed without anything looking altered. (I didn't cut any wiring or anything). Popped the sidemarkers back in and DONE.

They turned out nice and are a factory lense. They come on whenever the sidemarkers are on. The LED bulbs I went with have a clean white color and aren't extremely bright, but more like a halo or DRL. Just what I wanted...

Name:  foglights.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  116.9 KB
OEM SPOILER
20" POLISHED SS WHEELS
Red67Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Have you had any problems with fuses blowing? I have installed factory fog lights and bezels with the factory harness also, but the fog lights don't come on. I don't know if i have to have the dealer reprogram the BCM for the lights to work. I even bought the proper headlight switch for the L.T. model which works the fogs. Still no power to the fogs. I'm at my wits end with the whole swap and am thinking of wiring my fogs to the side markers also, but don't know if i should use a relay or just wire them with quick splices.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Red67Stang

Drives: 2010 LS - Victory Red / Jet Blk Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM/IOM View Post
Have you had any problems with fuses blowing? I have installed factory fog lights and bezels with the factory harness also, but the fog lights don't come on. I don't know if i have to have the dealer reprogram the BCM for the lights to work. I even bought the proper headlight switch for the L.T. model which works the fogs. Still no power to the fogs. I'm at my wits end with the whole swap and am thinking of wiring my fogs to the side markers also, but don't know if i should use a relay or just wire them with quick splices.
I wired mine with quick splice, and used LED bulbs which pull hardly any power so I havent had any problems at all. If I were running a large headlight bulb or something, that might be different. Can you tell me a little about the harness you installed? Where did you buy it and how did it connect? That is what I initially wanted to do...Thanks.
OEM SPOILER
20" POLISHED SS WHEELS
Red67Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
I got the harness from chevy parts. It cost about $70. It's called a lower fog light harness for a 1 or 2lt. To install it is a bit more tricky since the bumper has to be removed.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
dnitch85

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Just contacted Gen5 DIY. Great guy and very helpful. Will be able to answer any questions.
dnitch85 is offline   Reply With Quote