Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Fbodfather told me months ago that the Z/28 would shine on autocross. So I think with the gearing and what not they didn't expect it to absolutely blow away the ZL1 on Nurburgring, but it probably will on autocross or especially shorter tracks with more turns.

That being stated, nothing is cooler than a 427 Camaro. So if I could, I would add a Z/28 to my garage. But not replace my ZL1 with one.
That'll be one of the more expensive autocross cars there.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #44
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
And same wheels / tires as Z/28 and that would make for interesting feedback.

Heck, they don't have to go back to the RING to test that theory , just do it at Milford, just take best time of Z/28 and put same wheels /tires / brakes on ZL1 and see the results...
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #45
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
EXACTLY -- the new Z/28 has one purpose in life: "...to hunt down Mustangs and other performance cars on the track........"

The ZL1 is a much better daily driver.....the Z/28 is a track car........
Scott, I believe you were the one that worded it to me at the fest saying "the Z/28 is a street legal race car with a warranty"
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #46
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
Well you know Its not like the dealers are not going to order some of them without AC in the lower hotter states like tx,la,&fla..its about 800 bucks or something to add ac to the thing I think maybe a grand.
its just a option..I would just check the box that adds AC and drive it,as far as a stereo its not a big deal to spend a grand and install one afterwards..
my biggest hick up about it is that the 6speed Auto is not a option,if the ZL1 can run at the track with paddles why couldnt the Z28 have it as a option..
just for those that dont know its not that i was not able to drive a stick before,but I have to use hand controls now and have no choice in the matter..
Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #47
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
SO who is really going to man up on a Z28

YES there are going to be those of us that want to get a Z28 as their next car,and will get it as a second or third car,But who is really going to trade in a ZL1 or a ss you have spent money on making it your own
Just think of everything your giving up ?
AS per CHEVY:

We looked at every subsystem for opportunities to save weight,” said Oppenheiser. “Our goal was to get rid of everything that didn’t make the car faster, and keep only what was required by law. For example, we wanted to eliminate the audio system completely, but we had to keep a single speaker for the seat-belt chime to meet safety requirements.”
Examples of weight saving techniques include:
Eliminated the tire-inflator kit, except for Rhode Island and New Hampshire, where it is required by law
Removed interior sound deadener, and carpeting from the trunk
Replaced the standard LN4 battery with a smaller, lightweight, LN3 battery
Specified thinner, 3.2-mm glass for the rear window, compared to 3.5-mm glass on the standard Camaro
HID headlamps and foglights are not available
Air conditioning is only available as a stand-alone option
“The team was so fanatical about saving weight, we even stripped the unused wiring out of the harness when we eliminated the fog lights, speakers, and air conditioning,” said Oppenheiser. “Every ounce saved contributed to making this the most track-capable Camaro we have ever built, and a worthy successor to the Z/28 name.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevr...#ixzz2iHZ5hae9

just think of the pain in the butt its going to be to try to make it a good street car again,track car yes..but no HID ? no cool halo lights ?lol its a lot to give up ?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #48
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
I think you're beating a dead horse here AIRBULL did the definitive thread on this. Really don't need to say anymore

Last edited by noah677; 10-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah677 View Post
I think you're beating I had a dead horse here AIRBULL did the definitive thread on this. Really don't need to say anymore
Well I think he has a good question. All he is asking is if someone on this site who owns a ZL1 would actually trade for a Z28. I personally would like to drive one before I said yea or ney but I would probably say I would not trade. That being said I hope for your sake I did not beat the horse anymore!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #50
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Well I think he has a good question. All he is asking is if someone on this site who owns a ZL1 would actually trade for a Z28. I personally would like to drive one before I said yea or ney but I would probably say I would not trade. That being said I hope for your sake I did not beat the horse anymore!
SORRY--I really am. I did not mean it to sound as AHish as it does. So please accept my apologies
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #51
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
No big deal. Just wanted him to have a chance to have his question answered. We are all here to ask and learn and sometimes some of us get taken wrong.ME included!!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #52
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Nope. Love my ZL1. The fact that every 4-6K miles you are looking at replacing $2k worth of rubber says to me that the Z/28 could be a high $$$ maintenance vehicle if used for anything other than track applications. Living in Florida, I would want A/C which starts to compromise the track focus of the car. I love the idea behind the Z/28 and depending on price and allotment would love to have one but not at the expensive of my ZL1
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
Yep, actually I'd like to see a ZL1 with those brakes and tires and a CAI do the 'ring. I don't for the life of me understand why there is not more air when it comes from the factory.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #54
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
I have never considered it. A track car only is not for me. I already have a ZL1 that can track incredible if I want it to, plus cart my but around in luxury. I think you would need to be a true track enthusiast to trade a ZL1 for a Z28, and I'm simply not a track enthusiast.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #55
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I will keep my ZL1, at some point if I want to go all in on tracking my car I could get the Z/28 tire, wheel and brake combo and some HP and some suspension work and I think you would have a car that would be very comparable to the stock Z/28 and still be able to reconfigure for the 1/4 mile and lose none of your DD comforts. So, from an economic standpoint I think I would stay with the ZL1. But from a desire standpoint yes I would love to have both. I think that is another of the ZL1's better points, it is so much easier to refit the ZL1 for your specific desires.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #56
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
I have a deposit at a large dealer in town and if they get a car I will be the first to get it. Will see......
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote