Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
CamaroBAMF28

Drives: Black 2LT RS
bowties

ok so i decided i wanted to get new/different bowties for my car and i cant figure out which ones to get.... i want to possibly black them out ... also im looking for the best/cheapest solution. when i brought my car to a local body shop they said they wud tape the bowtie off/ mask off the chrome and then paint the gold part and add more coats based on if they thought it needed another coat. he said he wud charge about 110..... so i said no thanks..... a friend of mine has a trailblazer SS and he got vinyl stickers that go over the bowtie but of course when i want to get them the website gets shut down.... so i went on google and searched up bowtie decals and came up with this one website that sells stuff through amazon and i found these ones that were perfect .. they were black with red outline... i figured that wud match my RS symbol on the front and back... but they were only for the rear bowtie.... sooo basically i have no luck ahha. soooo i was hoping you guys could maybe help me out? shoot me some websites or something. thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Well here is a solution for you. NowI don't know how HANDY you are, but you can get the vinyl overlays for about $25 to $30 and never have to take the bowtie off. OR you can to your dealer and buy a 5 oz. spray can of matching color paint for $12.95. buy a roll of blue painters tape for about $5, and buy a news paper. Take a "scothbright" and carfully scuff up the "gold" part of the bowtie. Tape off the gold section and apply the newspaper to mask off EVERYTHING around the bowtie, more is better. and apply the spray paint in light coats to avoid getting any runs. I did about 4 coats, let it dry overnight to be on the safe side. so for about $18 and the cost of a newspaper my bowties are color matching.

Front Bowtie
Name:  F bowtie a.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  116.7 KB

Rear Bowtie
Name:  Bowtie Rear.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  106.2 KB
Old 05-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
CamaroBAMF28

yeah see my dealer is very far from me so i wudnt want to do that to be quite honest. do you know where i can get the vinyl overlays?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

well you can get the paint at GMPARTS DIRECT too, shipped to your house....there are a few other places you can buy the paint too. There are a few places to get it. as far as the overlays......big worm graphics is a forum sponsor and are good people to deal with. Just be aware, the front overlay is not so easy to put on. There are a few threads with some pretty good pictures and tips on how to install them. Good Luck on which ever way you go.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Wikedwil
Co-founder of CDCNY

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBAMF28 View Post
ok so i decided i wanted to get new/different bowties for my car and i cant figure out which ones to get.... i want to possibly black them out ... also im looking for the best/cheapest solution. when i brought my car to a local body shop they said they wud tape the bowtie off/ mask off the chrome and then paint the gold part and add more coats based on if they thought it needed another coat. he said he wud charge about 110..... so i said no thanks..... a friend of mine has a trailblazer SS and he got vinyl stickers that go over the bowtie but of course when i want to get them the website gets shut down.... so i went on google and searched up bowtie decals and came up with this one website that sells stuff through amazon and i found these ones that were perfect .. they were black with red outline... i figured that wud match my RS symbol on the front and back... but they were only for the rear bowtie.... sooo basically i have no luck ahha. soooo i was hoping you guys could maybe help me out? shoot me some websites or something. thanks
Try ridergraphixs,bigworm or ebay.

Last edited by Wikedwil; 05-30-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Wikedwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
agkelly73

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
You can also hit up Gary's Customz. He can pretty much do anything you want but I'm not sure how much he'd charge. He's on the forum as well.
agkelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
CamaroBAMF28

ok thanks guys. ill take a look at all of them and ill let you know what i go with!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I bought the vinyl from Big Worm Graphix. Back bow tie was easy. Luckily they send you two (2) pieces of vinyl for the front bow tie. Glad they did, I had a wrinkle in the first one I tried to put on. About 10 mins on the front, less on the rear. Good Luck.

CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBAMF28 View Post
do you know where i can get the vinyl overlays?
We have them here..... http://www.ridergraphix.com/2010_Cam..._Blackout.html
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
youngmaro

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoguy View Post
are your bowtie colors the same as the factory paint colors?
youngmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #12
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmaro View Post
are your bowtie colors the same as the factory paint colors?
Not sll of them, the colors we have that are close is our Gloss Black, White, Silver, Red and Dark Charcoal. They are very close to Black, Summit White, Silver Ice, Victory Red and Cyber Grey.
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
OP- save yourself some cash and just buy a sheet of vinyl. Got some from Autozone in CF for like $5 or something. Then all you need is an exacto knife. Just cut out a rectangle larger than the emblem, press it down and work it til its flat then trace the edges with the knife. Honestly takes maybe 30 minutes for front and back start to finish. It's really easy to trace the edge of the emblem becasue the knife will slip into the groove between the gold and the chrome so you just have to push it- no hand-eye coordination required!

I tried buying some pre-cut ones and they didn't quite fit right. Glad they didn't because the ones I ordered were black before I thought of CF. I see your car is black and a sheet of black vinyl should be very easy and cheap to come by.

Just another option for the thrifty DIYer.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
OP- save yourself some cash and just buy a sheet of vinyl. Got some from Autozone in CF for like $5 or something. Then all you need is an exacto knife. Just cut out a rectangle larger than the emblem, press it down and work it til its flat then trace the edges with the knife. Honestly takes maybe 30 minutes for front and back start to finish. It's really easy to trace the edge of the emblem becasue the knife will slip into the groove between the gold and the chrome so you just have to push it- no hand-eye coordination required!

I tried buying some pre-cut ones and they didn't quite fit right. Glad they didn't because the ones I ordered were black before I thought of CF. I see your car is black and a sheet of black vinyl should be very easy and cheap to come by.

Just another option for the thrifty DIYer.
OP and you can find pretty much ANY color on eBay too, for that $5 too, for piece big enought to do your about 5 times. the precuts are WAY too much, and if you goof up, and that is easy on the fronts, you are screwed. IF you really want to go with vinyl, get a piece of material and save a bundle.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 06-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote