Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #2927
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Not true. In Cali they don't. When I went to Alabama this summer WALMART had several AR-15's for sale. It depends on the state.

Now since this latest tradegdy they may discontinue selling them altogether.

No they do not. AR15 are not assault rifles.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #2928
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
oh cool, I drive to Duncan every morning for work
That Hop-n-Sack in the middle of no place is Pumpkin Center I'm south of there a ways.

Looking like we may not shoot tomorrow, too much last minute stuff going on.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #2929
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Assault rifles does not have to be full auto. The definition of an assault rifle is a full OR SEMI-AUTO rifle that can use detachable, high capacity magazines.

I mean, if you want to use the liberal spun definition....
Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #2930
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Lol call them what you will. Look up AR15 on the web and they come up. Not getting into that debate. Walmart does sell em...whatever you want to call them.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #2931
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Quote:
I mean, if you want to use the liberal spun definition....
So what is an AR-15 that DOES have a select fire switch? Does it cease to be an AR-15 after that modification is done?

And if the rifle is in a state with the modifications that classify it as an "assault weapon", does that mean it is an "assault weapon" but not an "assault rifle"?
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #2932
Nessal

I didn't think that I would have to educate those in free states considering the fact that I was born and raised in one of the most oppressive state in this country but I'll play.

First, a semi automatic rifle is just that, a semi auto rifle. An AR15 with a registered auto sear or FA firing group registered under the NFA is considered an assault rifle because it allows multiple rounds to be fired with one pull of the trigger. Last I checked Walmart does not sell any such firearm. I dare you to try and find one. An AR15 DOES NOT qualify to be an assault rifle if it has a "select fire switch" unless it can expell more than one round per trigger pull. A select fire switch doesn't mean squat. It is about what the firearm can do.

Second, just because it has a pistol grip, telescoping stock, flash hider, or looks black does not make it an assault rifle. I can configure a 10/22 with these parts...are you still going to call it an assault rifle? Technically a 10/22 is no different in function than an AR15 besides the caliber that it shoots. Better yet, how about a rimfire AR15?

I would not take everything you hear on the television to be accurate or the truth. The facts speak for themselves.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #2933
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Lol call them what you will. Look up AR15 on the web and they come up. Not getting into that debate. Walmart does sell em...whatever you want to call them.

You still don't understand what assault rifles mean then. You're trying to call a dog a wolf.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #2934
kalimus

Quote:
I didn't think that I would have to educate those in free states considering the fact that I was born and raised in one of the most oppressive state in this country but I'll play.

First, a semi automatic rifle is just that, a semi auto rifle. An AR15 with a registered auto sear or FA firing group registered under the NFA is considered an assault rifle because it allows multiple rounds to be fired with one pull of the trigger. Last I checked Walmart does not sell any such firearm. I dare you to try and find one. An AR15 DOES NOT qualify to be an assault rifle if it has a "select fire switch" unless it can expell more than one round per trigger pull. A select fire switch doesn't mean squat. It is about what the firearm can do.

Second, just because it has a pistol grip, telescoping stock, flash hider, or looks black does not make it an assault rifle. I can configure a 10/22 with these parts...are you still going to call it an assault rifle? Technically a 10/22 is no different in function than an AR15 besides the caliber that it shoots. Better yet, how about a rimfire AR15?

I would not take everything you hear on the television to be accurate or the truth. The facts speak for themselves.
Ok, but you know just as well as I do, that an AR-15 can have a fire select switch allowing it to become full auto, which is what I was getting at. They can be fully automatic. It is STILL an AR-15.

Also, since you live in Cali, won't this AR-15 you mentioned be classified as an "assault weapon"? The law says:
  • (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    • (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    • (B) A thumbhole stock.
    • (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    • (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    • (E) A flash suppressor.
    • (F) A forward pistol grip.
This does specifically say a semi-automatic... and yes, I'm aware that the bullet button takes away it's characteristic of having a detachable magazine.

Anyway, my point being is that if you went to Arizona, purchased the AR-15 from Wal-mart, and brought it back to Cali, would it be legal? No... because they would consider it an "assault weapon" and you would have to modify it.

So to blanket statement that an AR-15 "can not be" is really just... not correct.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #2935
Nessal

Just because uniformed politicians decide to misuse the word does not make it factually accurate. The term has been diluted 500% over time that anything that is black is considered an assault weapon. Do you also consider semiautomatic handguns assault weapons? I would think not but this state sure does with quite a few of them just because of characteristics that are completely legal in most states. You see, the truth can be twisted in so many ways that the true meaning is gone.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #2936
Nessal

I also want to add that there truly no such thing as an assault weapon. One gun does not "assault" anymore than another. But gun control advocates sure love using that word to demonize an inanimate object don't they. They love to say that firearms that are similar to those used in the military are assault weapons. In that case I suppose the garand and 1903 would fall in that same category.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #2937
kalimus

Quote:
Just because uniformed politicians decide to misuse the word does not make it factually accurate. The term has been diluted 500% over time that anything that is black is considered an assault weapon. Do you also consider semiautomatic handguns assault weapons? I would think not but this state sure does with quite a few of them just because of characteristics that are completely legal in most states. You see, the truth can be twisted in so many ways that the true meaning is gone.
My personal opinion and what the law says are two different things. So yes, some semi-automatic handguns can be considered "assault weapons" by the letter of the law.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the fact that we don't agree with the law doesn't change the fact that the law is what sets the definition. And because the law is set differently in each state is why people disagree so much on what "it" actually is.

No, one weapon does not "assault" more than another, but we'd be silly to think a certain kind of weapon isn't better at doing the assaulting than another, and that the AR-15 was designed for something like hunting. It's a stripped down M16. The original platform was designed for military use, and we have a civilian version. That's why the law defines the weapon in the way that it does.

Again... I get what you're saying, but (unfortunately) the law is the law.

I'm a gun enthusiast. Love them. Think we well-balanced and law abiding people have every right in the world to own one (and could argue that we SHOULD).
Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #2938
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
My personal opinion and what the law says are two different things. So yes, some semi-automatic handguns can be considered "assault weapons" by the letter of the law.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the fact that we don't agree with the law doesn't change the fact that the law is what sets the definition. And because the law is set differently in each state is why people disagree so much on what "it" actually is.

No, one weapon does not "assault" more than another, but we'd be silly to think a certain kind of weapon isn't better at doing the assaulting than another, and that the AR-15 was designed for something like hunting. It's a stripped down M16. The original platform was designed for military use, and we have a civilian version. That's why the law defines the weapon in the way that it does.

Again... I get what you're saying, but (unfortunately) the law is the law.

I'm a gun enthusiast. Love them. Think we well-balanced and law abiding people have every right in the world to own one (and could argue that we SHOULD).
Well put. Thnx for typing that....I am on my iPad and really didn't want to get into a long discussion. But you said mostly what I was going to.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #2939
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
This is frustrating.

All these retards are buying up all the 308, 223, and 9MM in the stores and online like the hand of BO is gonna sweep in and take everything away forever. Goodness. I can't even go to the range because I'm not going to shoot through my supply without being able to restock it. I can't even find 22LR locally right now.

Between Christmas, CT, and the Government, I'm getting aggravated as all hell.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #2940
kalimus

Yeah... I wish I had started my own reloading after the first ammo panic....

Tags
camaro gun