Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #1051
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Merged.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #1052
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Very true that the base gt500 won't keep up on track with the zl1, but there is no stock package to overcome the massive straight line acceleration difference between zl1 and GT500. If one ONLY cares about track performance, neither of these cars are remotely close to ideal. Both cars have advantages and disadvantages while doing everything damn well.
I know, im pissed about that. They (GM) should offer a PP that bumps up power. Dont need 662hp, but an extra 50-60hp would be really nice. I would pay a few ($3-4) grand for that with warranty intact
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #1053
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
I know, im pissed about that. They (GM) should offer a PP that bumps up power. Dont need 662hp, but an extra 50-60hp would be really nice. I would pay a few ($3-4) grand for that with warranty intact
Just find a mod friendly dealer. Most shops usually have an guy at the local dealership that will take care of that shops customer car's should something need to be fixed without some BS service writer giving you a hard time.

I got a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throw out bearing all replaced under warranty on my modified car that was making an extra hundred hp. All I did was call the shop that did the work on my car and ask who do I talk to at my local dealership to get it fixed.

Life is too short to keep a supercharged ZL1 Camaro stock.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #1054
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post

I would really like for GM to at least shorten the acceleration gap. I'm pleased that ZL1, with a +200-lb., +80-hp disadvantage can more than keep up at nearly all the tracks that's been reported by the major magazines, but still think it would be nice for GM to bump the power, at least another 40-60. We're probably only talking 2-4 psi, but I understand the limitations in the rest of the powertrain, too. Considering it seems the GT500, for the most part, requires several more grand to stay competitive around a track, I think a PP would be something many owners would jump in to.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #1055
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^I agree; But not for anything, if Ford can offer the power increase at the 56k base and without the gass guzzler tax, then it begs the question of why Chevrolet isn't working on offering a package on the Camaro to compete with Ford. We're already paying a premium on these cars, and to date the chevy lacks some options like recaros, a track package (although it would be redundant on the zl1) and a couple of other goodies. I am desiring more forward aggression with the ZL1.

Honestly, I would rather see more power and a bit less weight out of the ZL1. It made the foray to this arena, so the ZL1 should try to compete with Ford in acceleration IMO.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #1056
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
^I agree; But not for anything, if Ford can offer the power increase at the 56k base and without the gass guzzler tax, then it begs the question of why Chevrolet isn't working on offering a package on the Camaro to compete with Ford. We're already paying a premium on these cars, and to date the chevy lacks some options like recaros, a track package (although it would be redundant on the zl1) and a couple of other goodies. I am desiring more forward aggression with the ZL1.

Honestly, I would rather see more power and a bit less weight out of the ZL1. It made the foray to this arena, so the ZL1 should try to compete with Ford in acceleration IMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #1057
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Would a stage 2 negate the road course ability of the car. Seems heat soak is a problem already for one of the vendors. A ZL1 PP pack may need alot more than tune and pulley and CAI. Looks like major cooling upgrades may be needed (heat exchanger/intercooler, pump, radiator, TSTAT, tune to turn it all on earlier) and possible a remap of PTM software and MRC 3 to account for 80-90 more horse plus they have to make money and account for warranty issues that arrise. For a dealer to install all of those parts and the cost of the above this stage 2 to be done right will be 8-10k imop. Thoughts?
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #1058
HPT BANDIT

Drives: 1999 Ford Lightning
GT500 Brake Fade = ZL1 runs 11's all day stock
Both over exaggerated.
HPT BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #1059
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betiwin View Post
Would a stage 2 negate the road course ability of the car. Seems heat soak is a problem already for one of the vendors. A ZL1 PP pack may need alot more than tune and pulley and CAI. Looks like major cooling upgrades may be needed (heat exchanger/intercooler, pump, radiator, TSTAT, tune to turn it all on earlier) and possible a remap of PTM software and MRC 3 to account for 80-90 more horse plus they have to make money and account for warranty issues that arrise. For a dealer to install all of those parts and the cost of the above this stage 2 to be done right will be 8-10k imop. Thoughts?
Don’t think it would be that much, remember, if it is a factory option, we wouldn’t have to buy all new parts. Rather, they would use the upgraded parts instead of the original (pulleys, radiator, pump, intercooler). So the increased cost would only be in the dealers cost increase from part A to part B. Tune/mapping should be no problem. If all the above parts are indeed needed for an extra 60 hp, I say it would be no more than $5-6k to the consumer. Now the problem would be the R&D in doing so. Obviously, all this would have to be extensively tested since its coming as an option from the factory.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #1060
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

I would really like for GM to at least shorten the acceleration gap. I'm pleased that ZL1, with a +200-lb., +80-hp disadvantage can more than keep up at nearly all the tracks that's been reported by the major magazines, but still think it would be nice for GM to bump the power, at least another 40-60. We're probably only talking 2-4 psi, but I understand the limitations in the rest of the powertrain, too. Considering it seems the GT500, for the most part, requires several more grand to stay competitive around a track, I think a PP would be something many owners would jump in to.

The ZL1 was impressive out of the gate. I'm crossing my fingers for some form of ZL1 improvement before the 5th gen bows out. Power would be nice to close the gap, but I'm sure there could be other areas improved as well such as Recaros, suspension tuning, options, aero, etc. I’m hoping given the performance of the GT500 they have a few tricks up their sleeves for 2014 or 2015. Perhaps post C7 release the ceiling will be raised for power. Perhaps feedback from real-world use will provide some insight into what can be improved. Either way the car is great, but there is always room for improvement IMO. That’s the nature of competition – it pushes everyone beyond what they thought was necessary or possible.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #1061
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
they perform well on the track for muscle cars. they do not compete at all with the gtr, z06, zr1. ford and gm gave us great straight line performance with average (at best) track performance. the other cars i mentioned would destroy the zl1 and gt500. i think we know what the gtr did to the zl1 and would do to the gt500 on the track.
They are also on a different price level, lest ye forget, thus the difference in dominance. Each vehicle has it's purpose, one must chose the vehicle to proceed with one's own desires, thus the variety of vehicles matches ones level of affordability as well as their subjective desires.

If GM and Ford wanted to compete with the GTR, they would have done so, but that is not the traditional market they are after. I think you should have left the Z06 and the ZR1 out of the equation since GM is not competing within it's own ranks,Though there is the possibility of cannibalizing some sales, but not enough to have a dramatic impact.

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 07-05-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500