Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Got her wet yet?

I looked at the weather forcast this morning and they are giving between 20 and 60% chance of rain thru next week!! I know there is no way I can go that long without driving her . So... I walked out, got in her and drove to work. Now Im wanting to check the weather forcast on the computer every 5 minutes!!!. So ... I want to know,how many of you out there drive your Z in the rain. Do you do it all the time, or have you just been caught in it. What happens? Do the tires melt? Does the engine blow up? Does the paint chip off with every drop that hits it? I know some of you are going to say,"It gets wet when you wash it". But we all know thats not the same!! Let me hear from all you "Z" owners... Before I go crazy!!! Thanks!!!
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Lowtan

Drives: Don't have my Camaro YET
well that title sounds dirty...
Lowtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
The mother ****er transforms into an autobot and gets the hell out of the rain. Duh.

Last edited by AdamZ; 07-03-2012 at 05:40 AM.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtan View Post
well that title sounds dirty...
It all depends where your mind is!!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I've had mine since mid April and it's not my DD, so its only driven when the forecast doesnt show rain. I'm sure it would handle ok in wet conditions from the videos I've seen. Both of my cars are black, and the Camaro is easier to keep clean if I'm just removing dust. I also don't drive it when I know I'm going somewhere parking might be an issue. I also wonder how well the Goodyear tires will handle in the rain after they get worn in a little.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I've had mine since mid April and it's not my DD, so its only driven when the forecast doesnt show rain. I'm sure it would handle ok in wet conditions from the videos I've seen. Both of my cars are black, and the Camaro is easier to keep clean if I'm just removing dust. I also don't drive it when I know I'm going somewhere parking might be an issue. I also wonder how well the Goodyear tires will handle in the rain after they get worn in a little.
Mine is also not a daily driver but I still love driving it to work a few days a week. Its 20 miles one way so its not that many miles. My boss lets me park it by itself, close to the back of the building where there are windows so I can check on it from time to time during the day(I know that sounds bad!!). I know it sounds stupid to treat a car this way, but I dont really care how it sounds. My car might not be special or be worth that much to most people, but it is to me!! Thanks for the reply!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Lonny Doyle
Aerospace Machinist

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 w/ ECF
My Zl1 is my DD, I put it in my shop when it looks like it might hail but the rest of the time it is parked outside. So if it rains it gets wet.

So far it seems to still drive the same.

Hasn't melted yet!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
I drove mine in a monster storm from Canada to New York about 4 hours , still intact
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Doyle View Post
My Zl1 is my DD, I put it in my shop when it looks like it might hail but the rest of the time it is parked outside. So if it rains it gets wet.

So far it seems to still drive the same.

Hasn't melted yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpower View Post
I drove mine in a monster storm from Canada to New York about 4 hours , still intact

I should have been a little more clear in my post. I was kidding about it driving any different. I really wanted to know who is as anal as myself and does not want to drive their "Z" in the rain!!. Thanks for the replies!!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
We had a Tropical Storm here that lasted a week, and I still drove all my cars. Camaros in general drive awesome in the rain with no issues what so ever. Two weeks before that we took it on a six hour trip in the rain. We were doing 80 on the interstate in mode 1, and the car just hunkered down and drove like it was on rails.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
I should have been a little more clear in my post. I was kidding about it driving any different. I really wanted to know who is as anal as myself and does not want to drive their "Z" in the rain!!. Thanks for the replies!!
I am very anal about this nothing sucks more than polishing up your car after a drive in the rain. you are not alone, im the same with my other car but i really dont have a choice since there are no t-tops in it.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Glad to see Im not the only crazy one here!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Mine is also not a daily driver but I still love driving it to work a few days a week. Its 20 miles one way so its not that many miles. My boss lets me park it by itself, close to the back of the building where there are windows so I can check on it from time to time during the day(I know that sounds bad!!). I know it sounds stupid to treat a car this way, but I dont really care how it sounds. My car might not be special or be worth that much to most people, but it is to me!! Thanks for the reply!!
It's NOT stupid of you, it's smart. I can't understand how some people spend their hard-earned money on nice things and they do not want to keep them in tip-top condition (I'M VERY ANAL!!!). My car sits in the garage waiting for a nice, sunny weekend (bought April, 2011--has 3,000 miles). I'm in engineering at a precast concrete corp. and there are forklifts flying around the yard all day long making a dust storm. I'd love to drive my car there, but all that dust/grit...NO WAY!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
It's NOT stupid of you, it's smart. I can't understand how some people spend their hard-earned money on nice things and they do not want to keep them in tip-top condition (I'M VERY ANAL!!!). My car sits in the garage waiting for a nice, sunny weekend (bought April, 2011--has 3,000 miles). I'm in engineering at a precast concrete corp. and there are forklifts flying around the yard all day long making a dust storm. I'd love to drive my car there, but all that dust/grit...NO WAY!
Thanks