Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #687
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Was not meant as pressure, talk to them yesterday on the phone for some time, his word where they need to get it done in time for SEMA i was only reminding him, LOL good luck.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #688
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I hope you prove me wrong but I doubt you will. I have followed this project from early on and while you guys have done some amazing work, I don't think it will ever be completed. And here's why.

With any project there comes a time when you have to tell the good idea fairy to leave you alone. You guys can't seem to do that. Every new part that is on the horizon you try to incorporate. Every new idea that may be fractionally better than the last idea, you tear something apart to incorporate it. And with all of the changes you've made to the car, tuning will be $1M in track time to get it working well.

I will return here someday and hope to find this completed. But I fear I will not. Good luck guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This post. 100% agree with.

A lot of the concepts and work going on with this car is impressive, and inspiring. I do question if some of the engine/drivetrain/mechanical decisions will even function and hold up in real world tests, but time will tell.

I think the car is better served as a test bed for trial and error parts design and fitment. I could be the center piece of any parts/performance shop type car. But as far as seeing the light of day, running under it's own power, that is a long way off, if ever a realistic goal based on the scope creep this project has suffered.

But, much success trying to make SEMA!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #689
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
I do question if some of the engine/drivetrain/mechanical decisions will even function and hold up in real world tests, but time will tell.
Like what, be specific, and explain why.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #690
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I agree.

What we're seeing in this thread is the difference between great and good. They started out with good intentions and have evolved into something great. With a lot of time, thought, hard work and personal expense they've not only transformed the car, they've transformed themselves. They're taking the time to not only understand what they're doing, but why. It started with Nathan but now his brother Justin has become part of it and they are working as a team.

What they're doing doesn't happen as a weekend project; very few would have the discipline and drive to do what they're doing. At this point they've evolved way beyond SEMA. SEMA is just basically a bling show anymore; most of those cars barely function if at all; they're just for show. What the Moreno Brothers are doing belongs in a much higher standard venue. It's so in-depth and remarkable that most people won't even realize what all they've done when looking at it because it will just look "right" and thus not stand out as something obvious.

I can't wait to see the magazine article that's going to be published, when it's published by whoever has the vision to understand what they're looking at and realize what it took to get there.

Keep on keepin' on guys; every great inventor, developer, pioneer, visionary faced the same headwinds pushing against them as you guys are. You're on course for the land called Legendary; no one gets there quickly or easily.

Steady as she goes......

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 10-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #691
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Thanks guys for the encouraging words, we are definitely pushing. Even the Cobra seats are getting some love, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
I do question if some of the engine/drivetrain/mechanical decisions will even function and hold up in real world tests, but time will tell.
Quote:
Hey James, I'm with Synner,....... you got me all concerned now.

We tried to make sure all the parts we would stand the test but we might have missed something

Here is a partial list:

• 418 with Forge internals
  • Trick Flow heads
  • Every bolts replaced with ARP
  • Dailey Engineering dry sump,
  • ZL1 fuel pump,
  • ARH Z/28 exhuast, Jet Hot coated
  • Mantic twin disc,
  • RAM billet slave
  • CV separate clucth reservoir
  • MGW short throw shifter
  • RPM stage V plus we had them build us a billet shaft (extra $500) This whole package is definitely overkill for our purpose but we waned to switch to the Z/28 gearing, so we had them go through the whole trans with the top tear package
  • DSS carbon drive shaft,
  • Hammerhead diff (same one DSE has been abusing on their Monster Camaro),
  • DDS 1400 axles
  • Complete rebuilt PS rack and Turn One high performance PS pump
  • Derale trans, diff, engine, PS remote coolers, Flex-a-lite radiator

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

We learn from each other here, no egos. Please give us feedback as we can always improve.

Last edited by Moreno1; 10-07-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #692
Synner

Drives: cars
I wouldn't be concerned. The most common form of naysayer for a build like this are the ones who can't and have never done it themselves therefore they think no one can.

On a factory car things will break. On a race car things will break. If that restriction is what stops someone from driving then enjoy walking, it's better for your health anyways.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #693
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned. The most common form of naysayer for a build like this are the ones who can't and have never done it themselves therefore they think no one can.
This. I've built 2 race cars from scratch. Tube chassis, fibreglass shell, not a kit. You have to plan and think about everything, and there will be a few hiccups, but it will work and it will be awesome.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #694
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I guess you have to experience it to understand it? It might be part envy of the fact that they cannot do it? Something to the effect of, "I cannot do it , therefore it won't work". I feel better after reading the two posts above mine regarding building cars. I was stressed just trying to get an aftermarket brake kit to work on my car. It's never perfect from the start. One month later after installing and some small modifications to the hats and money spent for labor, and now it works! I cannot imagine building a complete car from scratch. Keep on straight ahead.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #695
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.MorenoMotorsports.com View Post

Here is a partial list:
  • 418 with Forge internals
  • Trick Flow heads
  • Every bolts replaced with ARP
  • Dailey Engineering dry sump,
  • ZL1 fuel pump,
  • ARH Z/28 exhuast, Jet Hot coated
  • Mantic twin disc,
  • RAM billet slave
  • CV separate clucth reservoir
  • MGW short throw shifter
  • RPM stage V plus we had them build us a billet shaft (extra $500) This whole package is definitely overkill for our purpose but we waned to switch to the Z/28 gearing, so we had them go through the whole trans with the top tear package
  • DSS carbon drive shaft,
  • Hammerhead diff (same one DSE has been abusing on their Monster Camaro),
  • DDS 1400 axles
  • Complete rebuilt PS rack and Turn One high performance PS pump
  • Derale trans, diff, engine, PS remote coolers, Flex-a-lite radiator
I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

We learn from each other here, no egos. Please give us feedback as we can always improve.
Uhh if that, plus the 2 dozen radiators/fans you guys put on this car don't hold up, then we are all screwed. Especially with the drivetrain barely having to work to pull around a weightless Camaro shell haha.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #696
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What booth is this car going to be in? Today SEMA has sent out 300 denial letters due to being overbooked.

From SEMA:

Due to the popularity of the program and space limitations, we have reached capacity and have been forced to limit the number of vehicles per exhibiting company.

Regrettably, we are unable to accept this vehicle for placement at this year’s Show. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have already submitted payment for the vehicle detailed above, you will be refunded the full amount paid to the original method of payment. Please allow 7-10 business days for your refund to be processed.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #697
Moreno1

Quote:

On a factory car things will break. On a race car things will break. If that restriction is what stops someone from driving then enjoy walking, it's better for your health anyways.
LOL, your too funny bud! James had mean all concern for a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
This. I've built 2 race cars from scratch. Tube chassis, fibreglass shell, not a kit. You have to plan and think about everything, and there will be a few hiccups, but it will work and it will be awesome.
You got that right, we put as mush or more thought into everything we do then the actual work of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I guess you have to experience it to understand it? It might be part envy of the fact that they cannot do it? Something to the effect of, "I cannot do it , therefore it won't work". I feel better after reading the two posts above mine regarding building cars. I was stressed just trying to get an aftermarket brake kit to work on my car. It's never perfect from the start. One month later after installing and some small modifications to the hats and money spent for labor, and now it works! I cannot imagine building a complete car from scratch. Keep on straight ahead.
Those are some bad A$$ brakes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Uhh if that, plus the 2 dozen radiators/fans you guys put on this car don't hold up, then we are all screwed. Especially with the drivetrain barely having to work to pull around a weightless Camaro shell haha.
LOL,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
What booth is this car going to be in? Today SEMA has sent out 300 denial letters due to being overbooked.

From SEMA:

Due to the popularity of the program and space limitations, we have reached capacity and have been forced to limit the number of vehicles per exhibiting company.

Regrettably, we are unable to accept this vehicle for placement at this year’s Show. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have already submitted payment for the vehicle detailed above, you will be refunded the full amount paid to the original method of payment. Please allow 7-10 business days for your refund to be processed.
I really feel bad for those guys!!!! Those were the feature cars that are not in actual booth.

UPDATE: Last Thursday we sprayed the undercarriage with two coats of black base and three coats of the red. The color seemed off from our spray sample (had kinda pinks highlights). We were hoping once we sealed it with the clear coated, it would look the same.

By the time we were done basing, it was 11PM and the temps had fallen into the 60s and the base wasn't drying enough to clear. So we figured we wait till the next day. It never rains in Temecula but it proceeded to rain for the next two days not letting the paint dry. Now we were in limbo because we aren't sure we like this color to continue with it but we can't make a decision since we have to wait for the final outcome once we'd get it cleared.

This picture doesn't give a good a good indication of the actual color.

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  157.8 KB

So after waiting for a week and the paint not drying, we decided to just paint and clear coated a scrap fender to see how it would look. Its not any where near what we were hoping for. Not sure what happen but this wasn't the same color we as the custom mix we sprayed. We had two gallons mixed, $3000 of paint down the drain

Name:  057.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  183.6 KB

The goal was to have the underside and engine bay done. Then we could put the car together (engine, trans, suspension, etc) before taking it the body shop and get the outside done.

We decided to go back to the original plan of painting the car white. We are also going to do the underside in white. We need to wait till the red dried before we can add more color. Since the clock is ticking, we figure plan be would be to do the outside first. We didn't want to put the suspension components on to make it a roller just to have to take them out and respray the underside. Each time you do that, you just jack up something. Plan B was to made a dolly to roll the body to the shop. This will allow us to work on the outside as we wait for the underside to dry.

This is the color we were shooting for.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  95.3 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  151.0 KB

Unfortunately this set back wont allows us enough time to finish the car. So we will just mock up the shell, no engine, interior, black paper on the windows, etc... The last thing we want to do is put all that stuff on and have to pull the car apart after SEMA to get her done on a freshly painted body. The last time we did that, the paint got all jacked up. If it wasn't we had made a commitment to Seibon, we would just pull out as we feel we aren't doing right by G5.R and all the works thats gone into her, but we want to do right by them as they were counting on us having the car in their booth.

Kinda sucks as we were shooting for an opportunity to perhaps get chosen for the GM design award. Now it will just be a Camaro with a body kit. LOL. Life goes on.......

Last edited by Moreno1; 10-10-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #698
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
:( You are still heroes to us.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #699
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
A good paint guy might be able to salvage that paint, did you ask?

Even as a roller your car will have enough unique bits to keep a car guy busy for a long time.... enjoy SEMA, glad you'll be there
Old 10-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #700
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtiSSWatson View Post
:( You are still heroes to us.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
A good paint guy might be able to salvage that paint, did you ask?

Even as a roller your car will have enough unique bits to keep a car guy busy for a long time.... enjoy SEMA, glad you'll be there

We started with crimson red which is a BMW color. To darken the color we kept adding more of the red toner. We did six spray outs in increments of 50% more red toner. We stopped at 300% because it wasn't getting any darker. So we added black and did three more spray outs. Each one with a little more black. We still weren't there. If we kept adding black to the red, it will mud up the color. So we decided to do a black base first and then spray the red. The last spray out look like we were there. I dont think theres any hope. Plus we are tired of old Murphy throwing monkey wrenches at us, LOL.

At this point we just want to get here done and move on.....

I think G5.R got made we were going to paint her red, LOL `

Closed Thread