Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I'd certainly like a Z/28...but I'd also want everything my 2SS /RS has too...to get that I think I'll be looking at high $50s if not low $60s!

As much as I'd love to have one...out of my price range!

Now...make it $45K or so with leather as such...(ain't gonna happen!)
I am the opposite... Give me a Z/28 with minimal interior. I dont need leather power seats.... and it will save some weight!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
I kinda agree with the OP and glad he posted. I wanted the nicest camaro I could get and the nicest camaro I could get right now was a 2SS/RS and then I am customizing what i want to customize on it. If there was a 50K Z/28 i would of gotten the Z/28 but there wasn't. But in two years if we do want to trade up these cars won't be in demand and we will get killed in value I'm sure. I paid for my 2SS in full and if I have the means at the time I might upgarde to a Z/28 especially if its nice Green Z/28. I doubt it will be feasible to keep my current 2SS even if it is an R6P car. Only time will tell. I mean yes I can suprcharge mine but its just not the same as a factory package not to mention i like the hood and fascia as well. The original 1st gens the SS was the big boy in terms of cubic inch and horsepower i wish they would of stayed with this tradition and as others mentioned made the z/28 possibly lighter/better suspenson type of track inspired car while still powerful didn't rival the SS in power. I can't fault GM for going the other way and making it compete with the gt500 type of cars. I just feel like I bought a computer or a TV, if the you buy the nicest one you can get a few months later that one is much cheaper and an even nicer one has come out.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
I am the opposite... Give me a Z/28 with minimal interior. I dont need leather power seats.... and it will save some weight!
Lord knows that wouldn't hurt performance

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
I'd say that I agree with the OP to an extent. I'm happy to see the Z28 come out, but I don't know how I feel about it having more power than the SS. As has been discussed previously, the Z28 has mostly been an awesome street racer, so I was hoping it would be more of a track pack sort of thing with weight reduction (?) to make it really make a killing on the track.

I'm not mad that my SS won't be "top dog" in one respect, but the deviation from heritage seems strange to me. Why not call it a ZL1?

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
I kinda agree with the OP and glad he posted. I wanted the nicest camaro I could get and the nicest camaro I could get right now was a 2SS/RS and then I am customizing what i want to customize on it. If there was a 50K Z/28 i would of gotten the Z/28 but there wasn't. But in two years if we do want to trade up these cars won't be in demand and we will get killed in value I'm sure. I paid for my 2SS in full and if I have the means at the time I might upgarde to a Z/28 especially if its nice Green Z/28. I doubt it will be feasible to keep my current 2SS even if it is an R6P car. Only time will tell. I mean yes I can suprcharge mine but its just not the same as a factory package not to mention i like the hood and fascia as well. The original 1st gens the SS was the big boy in terms of cubic inch and horsepower i wish they would of stayed with this tradition ans as others mentioned made the z/28 possibly lighter/better suspenson type of track inspired car while still powerful didn't rival the SS in power. I can't fault GM for going the other way and making it compete with the gt500 type of cars. I just feel like I bought a computer or a TV, if the you buy the nicest one you can get a few months later that one is much cheaper and an even nicer one has come out.
Doesn't that always happen; with everything?! I also happen to think that we're probably near the top as far as horsepower wars go. I must've been a Top Fuel driver that got killed in a wreck in a previous life, but I just love horsepower

On another note: I think there's a good case for the direction it looks like Z28 is going; at least for me. I spent TOO much money on my last car just trying to optimize what the factory gave me (and still didn't get close). My wifey would kick me straight in the yamb bag and sock me in the mouth if I did that again. I'd rather put that money up, out front, have a warranty and piece of mind. Sure, I'll probably void the warranty with a pulley and a few other goodies, but I'd spend at least another $11K+ on a TVS2300, suspension, and chassis improvements anyways; if GM will do that for me, and I won't have to worry about the car running right through 100K miles, then I'm not going to complain. I won't even get into the sheety smog problems I have to contend with.

Z28, as it seems to look like right now, is right up my alley. I just hope I can find enough change in the couch to afford one.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
I'd say that I agree with the OP to an extent. I'm happy to see the Z28 come out, but I don't know how I feel about it having more power than the SS. As has been discussed previously, the Z28 has mostly been an awesome street racer, so I was hoping it would be more of a track pack sort of thing with weight reduction (?) to make it really make a killing on the track.

I'm not mad that my SS won't be "top dog" in one respect, but the deviation from heritage seems strange to me. Why not call it a ZL1?

Who knows what is going to happen! 2 years is a loooong time away and we dont know for sure if this is even going to be a Z/28... they could easily make it a ZL1. At this point we are all really just guessing at whats going to happen!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I'm gonna save my money for 2 years, then go on vacation With my Camaro of course!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #22
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Lord knows that wouldn't hurt performance
I would be all over a stripped Z/28 like white on rice
Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post

Maybe it's easier for me to rationalize, just because I'm not in the same position as so many of you (in that you have your SSs and I don't ) but you guys can add any of the superchargers that have been released and get way more power to the ground than Z28. I just can't see an LS9 in there, and LSA-CTS-Vs are putting, what, like 440+ to the tires? You SS guys are going to start at somewhere from 50-80 RWHP MORE with any SC (i.e. TVS or centrifi' - let along TCs) with CAIs. The saving grace, for me, is the engineering that went into the LSA/LS9, like forged parts (well - not so much in the LSA), piston squirters, etc.

Anyways, my point is that it just seems to me that you SS guys have nothing to worry about Where you might fall a little short (if you want to even think of it that way) is the total potential to make more power isn't as high with an LS3/L99 because of the shortblock. Unless you're going to make more than 550-600 RWHP, that OEM bottom-end, with good matching and tuning, will carry you along just fine. I mean, look at the efficiency of the aftermarket SC kits out there: the LSA has to push 9 psi of boost to make ~450 RWHP while LS3s, with ~6-7 psi are making from, what, 490-510 RWHP. SSs have a great foundation, and are no lesser a Camaro, IMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
You know what? You can wait and wait for the ultimate ride, but it doesn't exist on this plain of existence. Enjoy your SS, enjoy life and don't waste a moment of it with regret.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #25
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahart04 View Post
Personally, I don't want to see a more powerful z/28. I had hoped that the z/28 would go with a suspension/design upgrade, but I just got a fully loaded, V8 trim, Camaro, and now it has been dullened. Of course I'm happy with what I got, but I know I'm not the only one who is going to feel like a Supercharged Camaro is stealing my thunder.

All I've got to say is this, if they are really going to make it, it better SMOKE the absolute LIFE out of the gt500...or else why even bother.
So your worried that in two years your car will be less popular? Welcome to Earth, enjoy your stay.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
You know what? You can wait and wait for the ultimate ride, but it doesn't exist on this plain of existence. Enjoy your SS, enjoy life and don't waste a moment of it with regret.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #27
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Very well said. If and when the Z28 gets here, you would had two years of fun in the car your driving now.
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
1. I'm not waiting 2 years to get a Camaro (if the Z is even made.)

2. I'm not paying $50K for a Camaro anyway.

So I'm good!
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote