Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
JRE 3.73 rear end w/ posi installed.....questions

Its been around 800 miles since I had my new JRE 3.73 complete rear end w/ posi installed including new bushings, Phaft trailing arms and bushings as well.

LOVE, the harder kick in the rear when you get on the throttle, Acceleration is notically sharper then with the factory rear end.

Two wheel burn outs are amazing as well. EASY to smoke em with ease compared to factory gears.

Overall, very happy with the conversion but there are two things I am not overly impressed with.

1. Driving the car in town feels like I am driving a strip car with a spool in the rear end. There is popping and snapping all the time on tight turns. The lower the speed, the more you hear, the less throttle your into, the worse it gets. It has been the same since day one. We thought maybe the GM technician did not include the posi additive so I drained the rear end lube and put two posi additives in and topped off with the recommended gear lube. Made no difference.

Driving on the highway there is no problem at all but if I turn off a main road into a parking lot, man, there is alot of popping and snapping going on in the rear end. Sounds like its more on the outer portion of the axles but its hard to say from inside the car.

Its bad enough that Ihave to turn off the traction control and stability control systems of they will actually engage when I make low speed turns such as into a parking lot.

For those of you that have this conversion, what is your experience. I suspect its much different then what I am seeing as some I have talked to have reported nothing but great results with their JRE rear end swap outs, thats why I went with this conversion.

No blame toward JRE at all, I am just worried that there may have been an installation problem that may be causing the problem.

2. The second issue is really pretty mild and really nothing to really mention but I will anyway. Between 43 mph and 48 mph, there is alot of gear wine. Very noticable. Any speed below this and nothing, anything over this, nothing but right in this 5 mph speed window and it sounds like there is a kenny bell supercharger sitting under the rear end whining at me!

Again, very minimul and getting used to it. If it were like this all the time I would be very unhappy but since its such a narrow window of speed, its very easy to live with.

Anyway, let me know what you guys are seeing with the rear end conversions. I am at a bit of a loss with the tightness of the rear end. Again, it feels exactly like there is a spool in the rear end, its that stiff on low speed turns such as in town driving around.

By the way, I played with a friend this weekend and he has a 69 camaro SS with a 425 HP 427 that he built up and had dynoed at the engine. I did not beat him bad in the 1/4 but it was pretty solid. Cars both have 3.73 posi rear ends. His is a manual, mine the L99 and around 500 engine HP compared to his 425. Was alot of fun to run the old and new against each other. He was very impressed with the '10 SS but was not overly impressed with the poppin and snappin turning corners.....

Thanks for your time.

Again, I am in no way unhappy with JRE and fully recommend their parts and service, I only wish I was closer to them to have them do the installation as well. I am afraid there may have been an installation issue with the new rear end and trailing arms, Any and all advice and experience is welcome. what could be causing this as it does not seem to be the norm with this JRE rear end swap out.

Kirby Allen

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have the same things going on with my built rear. Only difference is that I'm at about 200 miles on this unit. In tight turns I can feel/hear the rear. Its like having a full locker unit. Ted told me no worries. And JRE did the entire install. I think you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
That is good to hear. I am doing my car a bit at a time. Next step, order a Maggie from with his water/meth system.

By the way, your car has been sort of my inspiration!!! Been watching your results from the start, very impressive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kirby

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
That is good to hear. I am doing my car a bit at a time. Next step, order a Maggie from with his water/meth system.

By the way, your car has been sort of my inspiration!!! Been watching your results from the start, very impressive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kirby

No problem! Its rare I can chime in with something I have first hand knowledge about.

Yeah, it seems my car has been the inspiration for many guys. Thats cool with me. At least now there are answers for all the hurdles that you're gonna come across. Any more questions feel free to pm me.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
The gear whine could be normal and is amplified by the suspension peices. The tight rear is the way it's modded.To secure a stronger posi while doing burnouts means you have to tighten the clutch packs.It's probly just alittle too tight for some people.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote