Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #29
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
[QUOTE=DGthe3;131811]we don't know what sort of numbers the Camaro will put to the wheels. The Corvette has a very efficient driveline so losses are in the 10%-13% range. We shouldn't expect the Camaro to do as well as the Corvette, nice if it does though.

Not trying to argue, but I don't really believe driveline losses can be any different from two vehicles with the same transmission and same basic setup...Where would the additional losses come from? I would believe the corvette has a slightly better exhaust setup (don't really know, just guessing) that might give it that extra 8 hp over the camaro, or perhaps a slightly different factory tune, which should show roughly the same 8 hp difference at the rear wheels.

Chassis dyno numbers can be very difficult to compare and driveline losses are calculated by assuming the flywheel hp given by the manufacturer is accurate. A ton of other variables come into play that make calculating drivetrain losses somewhat unreliable.

I am no expert on dyno testing but I just don't see where the difference would come from when comparing the corvette and camaro.
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
And seeing that the GTO, which I see a lot of things with the Camaro that parallel to it, wasn't even priced under 30k...
The GTO was made in limited numbers, it was imported (just a rebadged Monaro), and Lutz has said it was overpriced in the past among other things regarding its not-so-hot sales...
Old 09-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #31
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The GTO was made in limited numbers, it was imported (just a rebadged Monaro), and Lutz has said it was overpriced in the past among other things regarding its not-so-hot sales...

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
[QUOTE=rayhawk;131977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
we don't know what sort of numbers the Camaro will put to the wheels. The Corvette has a very efficient driveline so losses are in the 10%-13% range. We shouldn't expect the Camaro to do as well as the Corvette, nice if it does though.

Not trying to argue, but I don't really believe driveline losses can be any different from two vehicles with the same transmission and same basic setup...Where would the additional losses come from? I would believe the corvette has a slightly better exhaust setup (don't really know, just guessing) that might give it that extra 8 hp over the camaro, or perhaps a slightly different factory tune, which should show roughly the same 8 hp difference at the rear wheels.

Chassis dyno numbers can be very difficult to compare and driveline losses are calculated by assuming the flywheel hp given by the manufacturer is accurate. A ton of other variables come into play that make calculating drivetrain losses somewhat unreliable.

I am no expert on dyno testing but I just don't see where the difference would come from when comparing the corvette and camaro.
I believe some of the losses are due to differing suspensions too. I couldn't tell you which one is more efficient but I've read that. Also, I don't think it will be quite as high as a base LS3 in the 'Vette because, unless I'm mistaken, the tires on that car are about 26-inches tall, where as SS is going to be something like 28-inches. There loss with the weight of the wheels/tires too that'll drag down the numbers. Gear ratios, although I think the rear gears are similar, will effect numbers - generally higher ratios consume more power. Because Camaro is heavier, I think the driveline components will be heavier too, not to mention I'm sure lighter materials were used where possible on the 'Vette too since they were aiming for a light-weight car.

IMVHO - two different cars with the same engine will just dyno differently.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #33
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Yes, very true. Hopefully they really learned from it and don't make the same mistake with the Camaro.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #34
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think that 500 is going to charge really hard down the straights. I'm not sure SS would be able to keep up but I'm hoping so
thats where the Z28 steps in!

at least i hope it does, eventually :x

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post

I like how you think

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #36
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
[QUOTE=radz282003;132002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post

I believe some of the losses are due to differing suspensions too. I couldn't tell you which one is more efficient but I've read that. Also, I don't think it will be quite as high as a base LS3 in the 'Vette because, unless I'm mistaken, the tires on that car are about 26-inches tall, where as SS is going to be something like 28-inches. There loss with the weight of the wheels/tires too that'll drag down the numbers. Gear ratios, although I think the rear gears are similar, will effect numbers - generally higher ratios consume more power. Because Camaro is heavier, I think the driveline components will be heavier too, not to mention I'm sure lighter materials were used where possible on the 'Vette too since they were aiming for a light-weight car.

IMVHO - two different cars with the same engine will just dyno differently.

I can't argue with you there, all of those factors definitely come into play, it is just that you hear about these variables but you never really see them quantified. I think when you start adding all the variables you really just end up needing a baseline run before and after mods on the same dyno to come up with any meaningful numbers anyway.

Comparing numbers from different dyno's and different cars, (even the same cars) has to be done carefully because the absolute hp number is not as useful as the change in the number.
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
I can't argue with you there, all of those factors definitely come into play, it is just that you hear about these variables but you never really see them quantified. I think when you start adding all the variables you really just end up needing a baseline run before and after mods on the same dyno to come up with any meaningful numbers anyway.

Comparing numbers from different dyno's and different cars, (even the same cars) has to be done carefully because the absolute hp number is not as useful as the change in the number.
Exactly. Shoot, the same car on the same dyno', at nearly the same time sometimes won't produce exactly the same numbers. I think it'll do good though. It'd be nice to see around 380 but I'm thinking closer to 360-370. Still, that won't be bad at all

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #38
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
weren't the HP numbers on the 4th gen UNDER rated? ,it may be the same with the 5th gen as well.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #39
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
The GTO came out with an MSRP of low 30's right?

well if low 30's was called 'expensive' then i think its more than just possible, i think its LIKELY that we see the SS MSRP in the high 20's.

Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #40
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I was told by a person who works with the show and display folks at GM about 6 months ago during a show, that the production convertible was stunning in person. He also said that the high horsepower version of the camaro would be coming out a little after the launch of the convertible and that the power level was about 525 hp. He also said that due to the pending cafe changes that these high powered cars would not be offered for a very long production run. This guy seemed to be a reliable source especially when he said that he had sat in on a meeting about the camaro. He also told me about the billet gas cap being offered way before it was released by gm or shown in print anywhere.

I'am not saying it is fact, but just that it could still be possible.

If gm offered a lsa 6.2 thru gmg or slp, would this be counted under gm's cafe or be counted as a aftermarket tuner exemption or something? Anyone know how this would work?
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #41
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post

Z28? I'm waiting for the Camaro GTR/F-22.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #42
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I was told by a person who works with the show and display folks at GM about 6 months ago during a show, that the production convertible was stunning in person. He also said that the high horsepower version of the camaro would be coming out a little after the launch of the convertible and that the power level was about 525 hp. He also said that due to the pending cafe changes that these high powered cars would not be offered for a very long production run. This guy seemed to be a reliable source especially when he said that he had sat in on a meeting about the camaro. He also told me about the billet gas cap being offered way before it was released by gm or shown in print anywhere.

I'am not saying it is fact, but just that it could still be possible.
Sounds pretty logical actually. Sounds like it could happen too. I definitely see that happening... IF it is to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
If gm offered a lsa 6.2 thru gmg or slp, would this be counted under gm's cafe or be counted as a aftermarket tuner exemption or something? Anyone know how this would work?
That's a good question. I know Roush Performance that has been synonymous with Ford Products probably for the last 10 years or so
has their plant in Livonia, Mi. Now I don't know if they actually buy the vehicles from Ford, and then customize them and then sell them back to Ford, or just license them through Ford dealerships and sell them... It's a good question, and maybe could be a possible loop-hole around the CAFE standards... All I know is that the few times I've driven past the plant I see a whole parking lot full of straight up looking production F-150's and Mustangs in then in another lot I see them completed, and ready to be shipped... Who knows although I doubt GM would do it. They'll probably just make it for a limited run of like 2-3 years or something...