Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #337
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
I am sure they will sell every one of them regardless, but if they make it to the track to be used what they were built for or stay in a climate controlled garage for collecting is another story sadly.
Does anyone have any info on the "track warranty" coverage? I see people say it's warrantied for track use. Is that in writing somewhere I can check out? What would it cover?

I know people said the same thing about the ZL1 being covered while racing but I heard some people broke stuff at the track and GM turned them down on the coverage because they were racing.
That tells me it wasn't REALLY warrantied for track use at the end of the day.
A guy who i race with locally won the COPO lottery. Bought all 3 engine options etc. Came out to 110k. Asked if he was going to race it - reply nope. Not a chance this is going into the garage and staying until it is at least doubled in value

I want one to drive the wheels off of. Parked cars bore me
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #338
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Good luck for those that can actually afford a 2014 Z/28 and maybe we will see some on the street every now and then ...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #339
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Sure playing around out on the track and testing it costs alittle, but once you factor in mass production, they are making a lot of money on it. They probably spent somewhere in the neighbor of 40k in parts to build the car, and that might be high. the motor probably might list for 25k, but do you realize the mark-up on that?. How much do you think the price is marked-up? I just think a lot of people have lost perspective when it comes to price/value, and that's a slippery slope.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #340
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Perfect. I can't seem to find it after some quick digging, but you would know- what do you estimate your R, or an S, would run at Laguna? 35's? Less?

I think with the Z's added tq/hp and better suspension/brakes it would be darn, darn close and make up for some of that 400lbs. I appreciate your comments.
Self quoting here, is that ok? Lol!

Ok, I just found some info, a 302S just took the E0 class at 25H of Thunderhill a few weeks ago with a best lap time of 1:55.2 running the bypass. That's the same as a GT3 on R6's will do it with a competent driver. A Z/28 on Trofeo's would then conceivably do it in :56 or :57.

Which leads me to believe a 302S or R and a Z/28 would be very, very close on lap times. This will be fun to test once the Z/28 shows up in the wild.

Whoops! After posting follow-up: that 302S had an uprated Cortex suspension, so pull a second off the laptime. Not stock. Cortex is awesome stuuf and if I had a 302S that's what I'd install ($$$$).

Last edited by Zfatuated; 01-04-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #341
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
Good luck for those that can actually afford a 2014 Z/28 and maybe we will see some on the street every now and then ...
I think you will see more Ferraris on the road than Z/28s. It will be a rare sight indeed, on public roads anyway.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #342
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Once GM decided to do a proper Z/28 and put the premium LS7 between the fenders the sticker price automatically went over the ZL1 price point.
LS7 has always been an expensive hand built engine made to be in more expensive Corvette's and to adapt it to a low volume Camaro the price was going to high. GM has never hide that info.

With the added development the Z/28 received the price seems about right.

Those that thought it would be priced between 1LE and ZL1 either don't understand modern vehicle development and pricing or didn't grasp the direction this Z/28 was going or just flat out wishful thinking.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #343
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Sure playing around out on the track and testing it costs alittle, but once you factor in mass production, they are making a lot of money on it. They probably spent somewhere in the neighbor of 40k in parts to build the car, and that might be high. the motor probably might list for 25k, but do you realize the mark-up on that?. How much do you think the price is marked-up? I just think a lot of people have lost perspective when it comes to price/value, and that's a slippery slope.
Yes there is markup. And you'll get a markup to put it in a car just like you do with the ZL1.

Why does everyone want to believe it has to cost so much less.

GM is a business. Labor and parts to build a car are just a fraction of the cost that go into putting a car on the road.

So if you simply try to dig in on what you think the markup for an LS7 SHOULD be you'll have a losing argument. Simple fact, an LS7 costs a bunch more to produce than an LSA. You can argue that the markup is high on the hand built engines but the fact is it costs a bunch more.

You can want it to cost the same as a ZL1 but you know there is much more expensive content in the Z/28 so then your next argument has to be the ZL1 costs too much and in the end you'll have an argument based on a $10,999 LS Camaro.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #344
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I think you will see more Ferraris on the road than Z/28s. It will be a rare sight indeed, on public roads anyway.
Heck I am still waiting to see a ZL1 on the road around here, and I have already seen a couple C7 Stingrays...
Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #345
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
The Z28 is an awesome car but with the value you get in the 1LE and The ZL1 I feel it's a bit overpriced.
Not interested!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #346
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'm somewhat surprised by the shock and disappointment expressed by some in this thread.

How soon we forget and become a spoiled group of enthusiasts.

The Camaro was gone for some 7 model years. Yes, gone. Finished. No option. Mustangs abound.

Then a glimmer of hope for the Chevy faithful came in 2006.

Then it came in mid 2009 and it did not disappoint.

Then a model and or option list to meet the needs of all was formed.

A 300+ hp V6. Several SS flavors, including an RS package, HUD. Then a Z that turned out to be the ZL1, what a car that is. Then a 1LE option for SS, what an amazing bang for the buck option that is. Then a restyled front and rear that is really nice. Oh yeah, Ricaro seats.

Then the return of a legendary model, engineered true to its heritage. Yes, it's expensive, as it should be. Take an economics class, it makes sense. High feature, highly engineered, exotic components, low volume, race car.

Do we the Chevrolet Camaro enthusiast faithful really have any footing from which to complain? If you find yourself complaining about this price, check yourself. I think the return of the Camaro through the 5th Gen platform has been a smashing success. I don't think that we could have hoped for it to be any better.

I really can't wait to see what the next platform has to offer, because this one has been incredible.
Well Done!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #347
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...you have no skin in the game so it's easy for you to detract others....yes we are all on the same team, so why would you have despair about those who may question anything then?
What are your questions? What is a fair price for you? - why do you even want a z/28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
I love the new Z28 as a product and have no problem with the pricing. But even all of it's advantages over the Boss 302S and R probably won't make up for the approximately 400 lbs of additional weight carried by the Camaro on a race track. Not sure how this discussion got started because very few shoppers are doing this comparison. But I don't think it's going to run faster than a Boss 302 S/R on the track.

Here are my cars. We run the 302 R in Perelli World Challenge. Driven by Alec Udell.
So you are an actual race car driver? We need more ppl with actual experience like you to post your opinion. Like someone said being fast and reliable is $$$. I understand that but some ppl don't.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #348

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I hear you...but then it wouldn't be the Z/28 we're all about to experience...and, again, there are valid reasons why the car is equipped as it is...

True that.... it's too bad those valid reasons don't include qualifying for known sanctioned events.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #349
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
True that.... it's too bad those valid reasons don't include qualifying for known sanctioned events.
Throwing a grenade into a crowd of civilians. Classy.

It's not a race car, it's a track car. Do you not understand that and are parroting the original troll who tried to go in this direction?

So, what "sanctioned event", exactly, are you referring to? The Z/28 will certainly "qualify" for any Track-day/HPDE event in the US, bar none. It'll also run in just about any time-trials event (SCCA TT wants a cage now, CT does not). "Race" events, car-to-car on track, require cages. Caged race cars aren't street legal.

I am so tired of this pathetic made-up BS. WTF is a "known sanctioned event"? Where do you people come up with this generic crap?

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #350

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'm somewhat surprised by the shock and disappointment expressed by some in this thread.

How soon we forget and become a spoiled group of enthusiasts.

The Camaro was gone for some 7 model years. Yes, gone. Finished. No option. Mustangs abound.

Then a glimmer of hope for the Chevy faithful came in 2006.

Then it came in mid 2009 and it did not disappoint.

Then a model and or option list to meet the needs of all was formed.

A 300+ hp V6. Several SS flavors, including an RS package, HUD. Then a Z that turned out to be the ZL1, what a car that is. Then a 1LE option for SS, what an amazing bang for the buck option that is. Then a restyled front and rear that is really nice. Oh yeah, Ricaro seats.

Then the return of a legendary model, engineered true to its heritage. Yes, it's expensive, as it should be. Take an economics class, it makes sense. High feature, highly engineered, exotic components, low volume, race car.

Do we the Chevrolet Camaro enthusiast faithful really have any footing from which to complain? If you find yourself complaining about this price, check yourself. I think the return of the Camaro through the 5th Gen platform has been a smashing success. I don't think that we could have hoped for it to be any better.

I really can't wait to see what the next platform has to offer, because this one has been incredible.

True Clyde....

It's great to see GM do this car. I think I'd have chosen to reverse the name plates on them however, and make the ZL1 normally aspirated using an LS7 (but with the cheaper brembo's and calipers) and call it a Z/28. This new version, with limited production, may actually may fit the true limited production run the original ZL1's had and therefore be more inline with the rarity. Dunno, marketing is marketing. The Gods running the program are near retirement. The new folks will soon be running things. It's a hodge podge. At least those getting near retirement can say .... "well, they asked to see us do it, and WE DID IT".... now let's sit back and see how the performance Gods get us to 46 MPG average. "I'm outta here"....