Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Will coilovers improve on drag racing?

I'm getting closer and closer to getting some coilovers. I know they'll help with the cornering at an AutoX plus make my car ride smoother (depending on the settings) but I'm curious if anyone has seen or can I expect to get better launches at the drag strip with coilovers.

I would imagine I would have to change some settings at the track but not sure if it would be better to have a stiffer front so it would transfer weight better to the back or vise versa.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
When I added the pedders coilovers I swear the car felt lighter and faster. Im not sure about hook up but I honestly cant see why they would not help atleast a little bit.

In terms of weight however; the pedders coilovers are 23 pounds lighter than stock.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
caverman

Wow....cool. I'm assuming that's 23 lbs total for all 4.

I'm sure they'll help. I know alot of drag cars run adjustable coilovers to help transfer weight.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
yeah 23 total... you will absolutely love the stance on the car as well. very mean looking. I run -2 camber up front as well so it looks even meaner seeing the wheels tilted in like a full on DTM race car. lol. wouldnt recommend that much camber for a daily driver though...
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Yes, they will help, as long as they are adjusted accordingly before racing. On their regular (not drag race specific) Coilovers, Pfadt recommends a very soft setting. Out of 0 to 20, they recommend "2" on the fronts and "5" on the rear. This will help the car squat quickly in the rear on launch and get the power planted to the ground.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Caverman,

You want the front to pop up and the rear to squat and stay squatted. Dedicated drag coilovers would allow you to pop the front and squat the rear. Those same coilovers are not at all suited to to corners and street use. LPE was having trouble launching the Black Pig. They found 2/10s by removing brand-x and bolting on Pedders Supercars. In lower RWHP cars an 8 or 9kg rear spring will work well and on higher RWHP cars 12kg coils work best based on our drag database using off the shelf Supercars.

Damping adjustment is critical. Front rebound is set to low with front bound to high. In the rear you'll want mid range bound with high rebound. At Pedders, we did not have the drag racing expertise nor a vehicle capable of testing at the most extreme limits. LPE had both along with a commitment getting everything just right. You never know what will come out of a year of testing as far as product development. We do know that our off the shelf Supercars were able to handle the launch loads of the Black Pig. Bottom line -- go to the track. Turn the knobs. Race. Turn the knobs. Enjoy the twisties on your way home.

When you are ready, give Rob a call.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Caverman,

You want the front to pop up and the rear to squat and stay squatted. Dedicated drag coilovers would allow you to pop the front and squat the rear. Those same coilovers are not at all suited to to corners and street use. LPE was having trouble launching the Black Pig. They found 2/10s by removing brand-x and bolting on Pedders Supercars. In lower RWHP cars an 8 or 9kg rear spring will work well and on higher RWHP cars 12kg coils work best based on our drag database using off the shelf Supercars.

Damping adjustment is critical. Front rebound is set to low with front bound to high. In the rear you'll want mid range bound with high rebound. At Pedders, we did not have the drag racing expertise nor a vehicle capable of testing at the most extreme limits. LPE had both along with a commitment getting everything just right. You never know what will come out of a year of testing as far as product development. We do know that our off the shelf Supercars were able to handle the launch loads of the Black Pig. Bottom line -- go to the track. Turn the knobs. Race. Turn the knobs. Enjoy the twisties on your way home.

I was wondering the same thing... Thanks for the info... I'm also amazed that the front end can be dropped so far... this will most certainly help in the mile run... a good splitter and dropping the front end that far will keep air out from under the car...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I was wondering the same thing... Thanks for the info... I'm also amazed that the front end can be dropped so far... this will most certainly help in the mile run... a good splitter and dropping the front end that far will keep air out from under the car...

For the 200+ runs, you have to be pretty careful about the front splitter. Look for the ones that have a lot of bolts/rivets instead of adhesive. A lot of the splitters we have for the Gen5 Camaros are mounted with 3M tapes and a screw or two. I wouldn't trust these things for the high speed runs.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Caverman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I can't wait to start using my supercars to their potential... They are so nice and the ride is very OEM like... so much so I forget the car is down almost an1.5" all the way around.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I can't wait to start using my supercars to their potential... They are so nice and the ride is very OEM like... so much so I forget the car is down almost an1.5" all the way around.
You can start on Oct 2nd..

This is probably my next mod... I've held off way too long..
Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
For the 200+ runs, you have to be pretty careful about the front splitter. Look for the ones that have a lot of bolts/rivets instead of adhesive. A lot of the splitters we have for the Gen5 Camaros are mounted with 3M tapes and a screw or two. I wouldn't trust these things for the high speed runs.
Yeah, I appreciate it, I'm looking at one that's an actual race splitter and not a cosmetic one...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
caverman

Coilovers are definatley going to be my next mod. I'm probably only going to do the single adjustable coilovers and not the all out race ones. My goal is to mostly give the car a much better ride (daily driver) but yet be able to stiffen things up when I go to the drag strip or an AuotX event.

Looks like once I get them installed I'll have to play with the settings to try to get a good drag racing combo. I'll then need to have an AutoX combo as well. If anyone has any suggestions on settings for AutoX and/or Drag Racing please post them up.
Build Journal
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Looks like once I get them installed I'll have to play with the settings to try to get a good drag racing combo. I'll then need to have an AutoX combo as well. If anyone has any suggestions on settings for AutoX and/or Drag Racing please post them up.
We have already done that for you
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
caverman

guess I'm missing the settings.

Don't the coilovers have settings from 0-30? You mentioned bound and rebound but wouldn't that only apply to the full race coilovers and not to the single adjustable ones?
Build Journal