Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
newtocamaro

Drives: none
Camaro V6 vs Pontiac G8 GT

Hi
I'm considering buying a camaro, but I'm yet to test drive one. Though I did test drive a few G8's a V6 and a V8. V6 G8 was terrible and I loved the GT's V8.
They have 250 and 361 HP respectively. Since the V6 camaro is right in the middle I wonder if it has enough power? How does it compare to G8 GT? Anyone?
newtocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The V6 Camaro will fall in between those two.

The G8 GT is a high 13 sec car (on average). But with good driving and excellent track conditions it runs mid 13s. So its got a pretty good advantage over the V6 Camaro is a drag race.

The G8 GT is a great car for a family. Its fast and has lots of room (a very useable backseat).

But it G8 GT lacks the "wow factor" of the Camaro. Most people don't even notice a G8 GT cruising down the road. But it's a great car and I considered buying one at one time.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
newtocamaro

I see. What are the times for a camaro V6? Driving G8 V6 was like driving an egg bitter. You gun it down and the car doesn't do anything. I'm just wondering whoever drove a camaro v6. Do you feel it has just enough power or you wish it had more?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocamaro View Post
I see. What are the times for a camaro V6? Driving G8 V6 was like driving an egg bitter. You gun it down and the car doesn't do anything. I'm just wondering whoever drove a camaro v6. Do you feel it has just enough power or you wish it had more?
do a search on it..... They do about 14.69s

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
the G8 GT is a very solid car all around
Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
sjspat

Drives: 2010 camaro
I have the 1LT v6 6 spd and I found for me there is plenty of power plus I get the wow look to match. Too new yet to actually treat her hard.
sjspat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
I will always have a soft spot for G8's, but I would never buy a V6 one either. Since you said you didn't feel like the G8 V6 had nearly enough power, I doubt you will be satisfied with the Camaro V6 either (by no means slow, though). Just curious, but why is the SS out of the question? I'm not sure what G8 GT's cost exactly, but around here most are easily over 30k. I would think a base Camaro SS is around the same price...
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The V6 Camaro will fall in between those two.

The G8 GT is a high 13 sec car (on average). But with good driving and excellent track conditions it runs mid 13s. So its got a pretty good advantage over the V6 Camaro is a drag race.

The G8 GT is a great car for a family. Its fast and has lots of room (a very useable backseat).

But it G8 GT lacks the "wow factor" of the Camaro. Most people don't even notice a G8 GT cruising down the road. But it's a great car and I considered buying one at one time.
Now the G8 GXP on the other hand... you'll definitely notice it in your rear view before it dusts you I saw one of these sitting at a hotel in Kansas City, they are pretty nice looking. Too bad Pontiac went away, I'd definitely want one whenever I get around to starting a family. But who knows, maybe some eccentric group of millionaires will buy the brand... (plleeeeaaase?)
Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
I will always have a soft spot for G8's, but I would never buy a V6 one either. Since you said you didn't feel like the G8 V6 had nearly enough power, I doubt you will be satisfied with the Camaro V6 either (by no means slow, though). Just curious, but why is the SS out of the question? I'm not sure what G8 GT's cost exactly, but around here most are easily over 30k. I would think a base Camaro SS is around the same price...
Welll to be fair, the G8 V6 only packs 256 HP and weighs in at 3885. So with the Camaro LS/LTs at 304 HP and weighing 100 lbs less at 3780, it will definitely feel a LOT better than the G8's V6. But you do make a good point about the G8 cost vs the Camaro SS. Though maybe he's more worried about insurance costs too
Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Also remember that the G8 GT has over 100 ft-lbs more torque than the V6 Camaro's. Handling and ride should be similar between the two. The starting price for a G8 GT is over 30 000, but I've heard there are some pretty attractive incentives out there for it, that may be why the OP is comparing it to a V6 than an SS. Plus the GT has a spec sheet closer to the 2SS than the 1SS when it comes to features and options which would widen the price gap further, after all performance isn't always the #1 priority with cars.

Overall, I'd say get the GT if you need a family car, get the Camaro if its essentially only for yourself.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Personally id get the Camaro just based on the looks... but the GT has a nicer interior, more room, and more power.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
newtocamaro

I can't afford to buy a new car right now so I'm gonna wait for the prices to drop a little. I'm a patient guy so I know it will take time with all the camaro hype. Right now it seems like Camaro LT/LS is cheaper than the G8 GT but Camaro SS is higher than the GT. I'm just afraid that V6 camaro won't have enough power. See, I don't like all the bells and whistles in a car. I love the raw power. Thats what an american muscle car used to be. I wish they would offer just a stripper V8 Camaro or something.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocamaro View Post
I can't afford to buy a new car right now so I'm gonna wait for the prices to drop a little. I'm a patient guy so I know it will take time with all the camaro hype. Right now it seems like Camaro LT/LS is cheaper than the G8 GT but Camaro SS is higher than the GT. I'm just afraid that V6 camaro won't have enough power. See, I don't like all the bells and whistles in a car. I love the raw power. Thats what an american muscle car used to be. I wish they would offer just a stripper V8 Camaro or something.
Than id say you might be better off waiting a while and getting an SS. Your not going to be wowed by the V6 Maro, and the G8 GT has good but not great acceleration. I was personally not impressed, seemed like a 6 second to 60 kind of car.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
PMD GTO

Drives: G8 GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Now the G8 GXP on the other hand... you'll definitely notice it in your rear view before it dusts you I saw one of these sitting at a hotel in Kansas City, they are pretty nice looking. Too bad Pontiac went away, I'd definitely want one whenever I get around to starting a family. But who knows, maybe some eccentric group of millionaires will buy the brand... (plleeeeaaase?)
Right now all of the G8's have rebates, unlike the Camaro most of which are marked up, including 1LTs. I saw a 1LT/RS for $7,000 over sticker. LOL, yeah ok. With the rebates some people are getting G8's for around $24-28,000, and yes, I'm referring to GTs.
PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote