Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
To be honest, this one is different. I've raced a bunch of 2012 and 2013 that aren't my friends and its not even close at all. His is fast for some reason. I do think that the 8 speed is hurting them at the drag strip. And the 2.92 gears are too but it did beat my other buddies camaro so it's saying something. I too looked for a fast list but never found anything.

Btw, to anyone that cares. I went out there to test the trifecta tune. I ran without it yesterday and ran 14.4 @ 98.65 w/ a 2.1 60' as opposed to with it last week and a 14.5 @ 97.43 with a 2.0 60'
The 8 speed auto DEFINITELY does NOT hurt them. One with a Pentastar V6 and 8 speed auto will beat a 5 speed auto 0-60 by roughly a FULL SECOND. Also depending on the year and model they are rated anywhere from 290 and 300 HP also the gearing can be different depending on model and option packages. Some have like a 2.65 rear, others 3.06.

Challengers with the old 5 speed/v6 have hit easy mid 14s, seems like the best is around 14.2 or 14.3. mind you the have a few more HP and are a bit lighter, but the 8 speed auto will make up for some of that.

It seems stock to stock Charger with the 8 speed auto and an automatic LS should be a good run stock for stock, you definitiely had a nice comfortable advantage with your modifications.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Really they didn't make different gears in 2011? i though the auto LS had the smaller gear ratio.
No it wasn't until 2012 that the gear ratio changed in the LS.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
The 8 speed auto DEFINITELY does NOT hurt them. One with a Pentastar V6 and 8 speed auto will beat a 5 speed auto 0-60 by roughly a FULL SECOND. Also depending on the year and model they are rated anywhere from 290 and 300 HP also the gearing can be different depending on model and option packages. Some have like a 2.65 rear, others 3.06.

Challengers with the old 5 speed/v6 have hit easy mid 14s, seems like the best is around 14.2 or 14.3. mind you the have a few more HP and are a bit lighter, but the 8 speed auto will make up for some of that.

It seems stock to stock Charger with the 8 speed auto and an automatic LS should be a good run stock for stock, you definitiely had a nice comfortable advantage with your modifications.
Thank you for that info, I didn't know that! You seem to know a lot about the chargers, I have a question. My buddy doesn't know what trim he has, is there any clues that'll tell us what trim he has on his charger? He assumes its an SXT but wants to know for sure. His car was basically a surprise so he didn't get to check what it was

Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Thank you for that info, I didn't know that! You seem to know a lot about the chargers, I have a question. My buddy doesn't know what trim he has, is there any clues that'll tell us what trim he has on his charger? He assumes its an SXT but wants to know for sure. His car was basically a surprise so he didn't get to check what it was
That is a tough one. There is the SE which is basic. has Standard 17 inch rims and optional 18s, easy way to tell if this is it is by the head unit, the SE is only one that does not have the 8.4 inch touch screen as standard and only offers the smaller 4.3 inch unit. SXT would be the next up, still standard 17s, but offers 18s and 20s, more options available, it also offers the blacktop and ralleye packages which both include better suspensions, stereos, spoliers, etc, easy way to tell if it is a blacktop is it wil have black 20 inch rims, both packages include the higher output 300 HP engine and both have the paddle shifters for the automatic. THe final V6 trim is SXT plus and this basically a fully loaded model with leather/heated front and rear seats, etc, etc. Hope that helps.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I totally forgot they had the 8 speed transmission in them now, which made them much faster than before. I think they went from a high 6 or 7 second 0 - 60 car, to a very low 6 second car.

That said, I think I still would have expected you to pull away slightly in 2nd but sounds like once you hit 3rd you pulled away pretty well...which I think against an 8 speed transmission is pretty good.

Your car must be more modded than your buddie's Camaro??

Quote:
Btw, to anyone that cares. I went out there to test the trifecta tune. I ran without it yesterday and ran 14.4 @ 98.65 w/ a 2.1 60' as opposed to with it last week and a 14.5 @ 97.43 with a 2.0 60'
This is pretty interesting news to me. Just confirms to me that my car runs just fine without the tune.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I totally forgot they had the 8 speed transmission in them now, which made them much faster than before. I think they went from a high 6 or 7 second 0 - 60 car, to a very low 6 second car.

That said, I think I still would have expected you to pull away slightly in 2nd but sounds like once you hit 3rd you pulled away pretty well...which I think against an 8 speed transmission is pretty good.

Your car must be more modded than your buddie's Camaro??

This is pretty interesting news to me. Just confirms to me that my car runs just fine without the tune.
Yea, he only has an airaid intake and a custom flowmaster exhaust. But even stock for stock I'd pull away from him. Oh and I also have the 1LT wheels while he has replica 20" wheels.

I had already tested it before but the temp varied a little on the last test. Decided to do it in the summer because it's always the same temp here in the summer. It's dry and 105 degrees pretty much everyday so the variables were nearly non existent.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #21
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Weird it was even that close. The V6 Dodges are dog slow. I wonder if they have a fast list...

*slow
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
jlawrence613

Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
*slow

I didnt understand the post... then maybe I thought you are saying that's what their "fast" list is comprised of? I don't know... I'm lost.
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #23
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
That is a tough one. There is the SE which is basic. has Standard 17 inch rims and optional 18s, easy way to tell if this is it is by the head unit, the SE is only one that does not have the 8.4 inch touch screen as standard and only offers the smaller 4.3 inch unit. SXT would be the next up, still standard 17s, but offers 18s and 20s, more options available, it also offers the blacktop and ralleye packages which both include better suspensions, stereos, spoliers, etc, easy way to tell if it is a blacktop is it wil have black 20 inch rims, both packages include the higher output 300 HP engine and both have the paddle shifters for the automatic. THe final V6 trim is SXT plus and this basically a fully loaded model with leather/heated front and rear seats, etc, etc. Hope that helps.
Just checked and my buddies car doesn't have paddle shifters. He does have the bigger 8 inch screen though