Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Suspension advice

I have put bushings in the rear cradle and differential as well as the trailing arms. I also upgraded my trailing arms and toe arms and front rear sway bars. I have noticed that the back of the car hooks well and has not home and stays in line however the front seems to be trying to get away from me. I have noticed it to be a little different since I went with a wider wheel up front with the 275 tire but I really think that is not what is causing it. Can anyone suggest front suspension mods that may make me stay inline better? Also my front sway is set on middle hole and my rear is on stiffest. I had read somewhere that would be fine but maybe I need to change the front to stiff as well?
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
I have put bushings in the rear cradle and differential as well as the trailing arms. I also upgraded my trailing arms and toe arms and front rear sway bars. I have noticed that the back of the car hooks well and has not home and stays in line however the front seems to be trying to get away from me. I have noticed it to be a little different since I went with a wider wheel up front with the 275 tire but I really think that is not what is causing it. Can anyone suggest front suspension mods that may make me stay inline better? Also my front sway is set on middle hole and my rear is on stiffest. I had read somewhere that would be fine but maybe I need to change the front to stiff as well?
*Radius Rod bushing in the works also changing the little bushings behind the radius bushing helps with stability. They say these don't have to be changed but I used the Pfadt graphite filled black bushings along with radius rod bushings and no more slop or front wheels going in their own direction.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
What kind of tires do you have?

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Sounds like your car is a little out of balance. Some test and tune time on the track will likely resolve that issue. What alignment specs are you running? I didn't see a pedders alignment kit in your list of mods.

If your alignment specs are good then I'd try a softer setting in the rear and leave your front sway in the middle for starters. Or find a local shop that has experience setting up fe3/fe4 chassis.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I have noticed that the back of the car hooks well and has not home and stays in line however the front seems to be trying to get away from me.
I'm afraid that I can't figure out what you're trying to say with that.

Exactly when do you notice it happening? What are you doing and what are the pavement conditions?

Offhand, I'm thinking tramlining, static toe-out, or front wheels with significantly different offset from OE could be to blame. Any one of those or any combination. Road ruts/grooves you can't do a whole lot about.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Your front bar likely isn't contributing to the twitchy front end. Our first instinct is to check the alignment and see where you're really set at. If you find that the twitchyness gets worse with the 275's rather than the factory wheels it could just be a function of the wider tires following imperfections in the road that the narrower tires don't. Also be sure to check the silly things like tire pressure.

Take some notes about when the pull occurs, which direction, and how often it happens. A little more info will help you narrow down the root cause.

My money is on alignment.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Allignment was per pedders street specs and was successfull. The tires are 305 555r rear and 275 pirellis on front. I dont think it is alligment as it was great prior to changing wheels and tires but the wider rear and front wheels and tires could have got allign off? The only other thing i did was change whole on rear sway after allignment. I notice this mainly when i punch it and swith lanes. Feels as if i am catching grooves. The only other time i have noticed is from take off i feel like i dont have a lot of say of what front of car does just seems soft and loose. Hope this helps
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Your front bar likely isn't contributing to the twitchy front end. Our first instinct is to check the alignment and see where you're really set at. If you find that the twitchyness gets worse with the 275's rather than the factory wheels it could just be a function of the wider tires following imperfections in the road that the narrower tires don't. Also be sure to check the silly things like tire pressure.

Take some notes about when the pull occurs, which direction, and how often it happens. A little more info will help you narrow down the root cause.

My money is on alignment.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Allignment was per pedders street specs and was successfull. The tires are 305 555r rear and 275 pirellis on front.
That may be part of the problem - at the very least it isn't helping things. Different tires have different handling characteristics.

It appears that you've also stiffened the rear suspension up both with bushings and a stiffer rear sta-bar setting. That makes the rear end react quicker and more vigorously to the road as well as it does to your steering and throttle inputs. Expect it to feel different.

On edit - have you checked all of the fasteners that were loosened for proper torque since?

I'll suggest dropping the rear bar setting back to mid as an easy mechanical-adjustment step and not hammering the throttle when you're switching lanes as a driver-improvement mod. The closer you get to neutral handling, the smoother your control inputs have to become, and the more your driving has to shift toward being a road course driver instead of drag racer. This doesn't have to mean "slow inputs", just that you can't get away with them being as spastic any more (no personal flame intended). Maybe think in terms of squeezing (like with pliers) rather than pounding like with a hammer, if that helps any

Out of curiosity, what are the widths and offsets of those wheels?

And I still don't have a clue as to what this
Quote:
the back of the car hooks well and has not home and stays in line
means.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

FWIW, from a currently running thread on a different forum.

Quote:
The 555 DR is squirmy though, you feel her butt jiggling all over the place in a turn.

Norm