Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #113
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
Just a question...How is an older car harder to maintain? I can see and get to just about everything on my 67 GTO...once she is clean she is parked....awaiting her debut at the next show or cruise.
The catch between maintaining your Goat and your Camaro is that you don't use the Goat like you use the Camaro. Put one mile on the Goat for every mile the Camaro sees and compare maintenance. Heck, just engine maintenance. Ever adjust the lash on your 5Gen's valves or set preload on the the lifters? Neither have I. Done it on vintage cars though. The carburetor alone sees more fiddling than your 5Gen's entire driveline, if they are both stock.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #114
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Bingo!!!

For most of us, that would include cars like the ZL1, a Boss Laguna Seca Mustang, and probably the 1LE. Certainly the first Hellcat.

Otherwise a new car needs something to make it stand out from being 100% pure stock at least for now.

Norm
Exactly, newer cars have a better chance at shows if they are on the rare side like the 1826 2013 1LE's
Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #115
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Precisely why like should be compared against like. You can't use the same judging yardsticks for the Pierce Arrow or a Cadillac Sixteen that you'd use for a seriously built-up ZL1 or the sort-of-recent Ford GT. Compare, judge, and award cars against their contempories just like you would if you could go back into their various time periods, with blinders on to anything made years before or after the cars' respective heydays.

You could certainly make a case for there having been bias at this show against all of the post-1970 cars. The early 1970's and 1980's cars still carry the stigma of primitive approaches to emissions standards, poor-ish performance, and in many cases less than aesthetically appealing solutions to crash standards. You'd still get burned for doing a meticulously correct OE restoration.

Norm

Lots of categories to sub divide cars and awards is great for big shows, but not all shows have enough participation to do that... so the one guy with a VW is the only guy there in the "air cooled" class or whatever. The OP doesn't mention total number of cars there but many shows I go to have less than 50 cars, having a class for each decade or each brand would just result in everyone getting an award.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #116
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Norm, I disagree that you can make any claim of bias until we know if the newer cars could even be eligible for competing for a trophy in the first place. For all you or I know, the portion of the show that had trophies available did not include those newer cars.

Unless we know what the judging criteria was, we must by necessity guess. Is bias possible? Yes. However an absence is in itself proof of nothing but the absence.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #117
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
What a brutal read.
TXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #118
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
LOL interesting.

My club went to a car show in Newcastle WY a couple weeks ago and out of 10 camaros not one of us placed in any class. Now this is a small show top 4 and mayors choice and one other award for the do it yourself guy.

We ranged everything from 1967 to 2012. Seemed to be all the winners where semi local. (no big deal) but the oldest winner was 1955.

Our club doesn't go to shows to win, more to support the area and get a awesome cruise in on the way. Hell most of us don't even enter our cars in for judging at our own show, Sturgis Camaro Rally LOL

It does seem that the newer (1990 and up) cars don't get much respect from the car show community. Even when own has dropped over $20K into the appearance, suspension, motor etc.
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #119
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Norm, I disagree that you can make any claim of bias until we know if the newer cars could even be eligible for competing for a trophy in the first place. For all you or I know, the portion of the show that had trophies available did not include those newer cars.
Point taken. Though it raises the question of whether any such eligibility restrictions were posted. If they were and reasonably obviously so, and OP and his friends still entered, entry would constitute acceptance of whatever restrictions were in place and he would have no legitimate beef. If they weren't, bait and switch comes to mind.

Quote:
Unless we know what the judging criteria was, we must by necessity guess. Is bias possible? Yes. However an absence is in itself proof of nothing but the absence.
I think that's really all that OP was trying to say. His being a bit miffed over it is understandable but irrelevant.

Heh, this early-hemi-powered AWD car shows up every year at the Corvette show in Smithville NJ. I think he does it more to tweak a few traditional marque car show noses than anything, something that requires a pretty strong sense of security in his own choices.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #120
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Just slip a few bills under the table to the judges with a wink. You'll leave a with a trophy.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #121
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Exactly, newer cars have a better chance at shows if they are on the rare side like the 1826 2013 1LE's
Where did you here that ? How would a judge know if your car is rare ?, and if he did, so what.
That has nothing to do with winning at a car show.
Sorry but some of you guys crack me up.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #122
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
The only BS here is that you paid $15 to get into a car show.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #123
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Pretty "Shell Fish" if you ask me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Mmmmm, molluscs
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #124
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Pony Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan454 View Post
Camaros and Mustangs are not even muscle cars. They are pony cars. Big difference. But I agree with some people Sorry, I love Camaros but unless there are seriously different than stock, they or no other stock vehicle should be in a car show.
I've never heard of a Camaro being called a Pony. Mustang...yes.
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #125
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsdnfam View Post
I've never heard of a Camaro being called a Pony. Mustang...yes.
The mustang just popularized the class, but its origins go back farther.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car
Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #126
78Cam

Drives: 78Cam-10Cam-12CruzLTZ-11JeepPatr
I have a 1978 Camaro, bought it new and I have a 2010, took delivery father's day of 2009. We take both cars to shows, both have done very well at car shows. Here in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois, our shows are starting to recognize the modern muscle. A majority of the shows have added modern muscle classes. My 78 has done very well no matter the format. Last year it received 997 points out of 1000 at Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago. My wife and I have both noticed that when the 2 cars are together, that the 2010 gets a lot more attention. The modern muscle thing appears to be a debate all over the country. We just had, this past summer, our 3rd annual All American modern muscle car show. 2005 to present, it is a great show and is growing every year. With the way the weather has been around here this past summer, sometimes we just leave the "princess" home and take the 2010, we still have a great time, win or lose.
78Cam is offline   Reply With Quote