Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Brake Performance makes a Rotor and Pad upgrade for the Camaro. There are several choices on brake material, rotor type and finish.

I chose the Black Zinc coated rotors that are slotted and dimpled. The pads are their performance street version.

LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
I have been using the hawk hps pads for over a year with no issues. Less dust than stock with a little better stopping power.
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
I have been using the hawk hps pads for over a year with no issues. Less dust than stock with a little better stopping power.
Less dust and more stopping power don't equate. Brake dust is the by product of stopping. Most of the dust is from the rotor. The more aggressive, the better the stopping power. The more aggressive the pad, the more dust they generate.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Less dust and more stopping power don't equate. Brake dust is the by product of stopping. Most of the dust is from the rotor. The more aggressive, the better the stopping power. The more aggressive the pad, the more dust they generate.

I agree....

I drove my car again today.....and if I have to apply more pressure to the pedal and the car doesn't stop as quickly (as with the OEM pads) then there is NOT more stopping power. I did notice that they generate less dust which is always suspicious for what I want. My Tahoe with OEM brakes now stops better than my Camaro......

I don't have time to do a swap until next week, which gives me enough time for online order and delivery. Any recommendations?

I like cold sticky brakes that get stickier as they heat up.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
I agree....

I drove my car again today.....and if I have to apply more pressure to the pedal and the car doesn't stop as quickly (as with the OEM pads) then there is NOT more stopping power. I did notice that they generate less dust which is always suspicious for what I want. My Tahoe with OEM brakes now stops better than my Camaro......

I don't have time to do a swap until next week, which gives me enough time for online order and delivery. Any recommendations?

I like cold sticky brakes that get stickier as they heat up.
OEM pads with high quality brake fluid.

If you track, get your pads from Carbotech or Cobalt Friction and run SRF fluid.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
speedmon

Pete,
Do you have any experience with CarboTech?

They make a variety of compounds for the Camaro, which is good, and their site offers good data to make a decision.

What do you think about the AX6 compound? It says its for autocross, but folks use em for street too.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp#1

I can always go back to the OEM pad......just wanted something a little better.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #21
R8E1D

Drives: 2013 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Pete,
Do you have any experience with CarboTech?

They make a variety of compounds for the Camaro, which is good, and their site offers good data to make a decision.

What do you think about the AX6 compound? It says its for autocross, but folks use em for street too.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp#1

I can always go back to the OEM pad......just wanted something a little better.
I'd say he like them. Post #17
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255868
R8E1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
For some strange reason, that thread link isn't working directly. Is this it?

OP - I've had somewhat mixed results with the HPS pads. Very good with good initial bite on the '95 Mazda 626 and '01 Maxima, not quite as good on the Mustang (though still a tad bit better than the OE pads). I have no idea why.

If you stay with the Hawk line, you might be happier with the HP+. They do bite a whole lot more aggressively if you've got any warmth in the brakes at all. Enough more that you'll be "recalibrating" your right foot in order to modulate them properly - and then back again if/when you drive most anything else. If you can comfortably do that, the improved feel is worth the extra dust that they throw off.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
R8E1D

Drives: 2013 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
For some strange reason, that thread link isn't working directly. Is this it?

Norm
Yeah that's it. I must have deleted a dot or something. Thanks!
R8E1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8E1D View Post
Yeah that's it. I must have deleted a dot or something. Thanks!
No....I think their site is down....I've been getting "no service" this morning.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Try this one, http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-pads.asp and choose Chevrolet cars.

I use their Bobcats, 1521, on the front with some leftover HPS rear for the street and then their XP12 Front and XP8 Rear for the track. They are phenomenal! So much so I even put them on my DD '97 Grand Marquis. I get more dust from the HPS' than the Carbo's. Once I use up the HPS' I will put 1521's on the rear as well.

Give them a call, Mike Jr. usually answers the phone, and they can hook you up. For an extra 20 bones you can get them prebedded. Put them on and drive with no hassles of beddding them. It is worth it.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
OHIO SPEED

Drives: 2010 1LT v6 Twin Turbo
brake pads

EBC Red Stuff Pads
OHIO SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
Todd TCE

Drives: Wells Coyote
I'd agree with the Wilwood Poly E comments for the most part. A great street/light track use compound. However most folks detest the metallic noise this pad can generate. You have to endure some trade offs here in pad selection...there's no free lunch.
Todd TCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #28
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The OEM pads are a very good street / light track pad. If you were going to track I would have a short list for you. On the street, OE pads would be my choice.
Would this be better with stainless steel braided brake lines. I just got my lines installed today and what a difference even with stock pads and rotors.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote