Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Higher elevation tuning question

My elevation is about 2500-3000 feet, if I get a tune can they compensate for the thinner air and excessive heat? I'm loosing approximately 10% of my horse power from both of them.

I'm not used to computer controlled cars, so I'm still learning. Old school learning new school
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Between the MAF, the MAP, the IAT, and the O2 sensors everything should run well.
No more changing the jets in the carb or messing with the timing when tripping through the mountains.
I've been from sea level to 5733 feet. It had more effect on me than the Camaro.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #3
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
But yes, the higher in elevation you go the less power you make, generally.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer1 View Post
But yes, the higher in elevation you go the less power you make, generally.
Turbochargers were invented for aircraft so men would have the justification to spend the money.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:26 AM   #5
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
No tune is going to compensate for thinner air. Thinner air is thinner air. How do you make it thicker? You force in more air than normal and that only comes with F.I.

However, maybe one of those cheap electric superchargers could do that. They got to be good for shoving at least 10% more air into the intake. I'd give it a shot.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Your car already has a "tune" for higher latitude. The MAF and oxygen sensors adjust the amount of fuel injected based on mass air flow at the intake and oxygen remaining in the exhaust.

When the air is thinner, less fuel is injected because there's less oxygen to burn it with. Thus less power.

As stated above, the only way to make more power at altitude is to add more air. Hence superchargers.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
stock tune should be fine, you only need to worry about this when you start modding the car. Granted mine is a SS, but with the stock tune it ran fine in everything from sea level to 7000+. I did run into issues when I started to have things done. I.E. Cam, intake, TB, full exhaust and gears. My tuner was in 7100+ and I live in 3200-5000... Car ran amazing in the higher altitude, but on the drive home I down shifted and got on it and everything went haywire. after consulting with tuner he did forget to compensate for the lower altitude. Adjusted the tune and now runs great.
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkslvr View Post
stock tune should be fine, you only need to worry about this when you start modding the car. Granted mine is a SS, but with the stock tune it ran fine in everything from sea level to 7000+. I did run into issues when I started to have things done. I.E. Cam, intake, TB, full exhaust and gears. My tuner was in 7100+ and I live in 3200-5000... Car ran amazing in the higher altitude, but on the drive home I down shifted and got on it and everything went haywire. after consulting with tuner he did forget to compensate for the lower altitude. Adjusted the tune and now runs great.

It's not about the engine running good at altitude, the ECU will automatically adjust for that through the stock tune. That's one of the benefits of having a modern fuel injected computer controlled engine.

He's talking about gaining back the 10% power loss that comes at higher altitude due to the thinner air. Nothing will help with that unless you force back in the missing 10% of air density that the engine would get at lower altitude. The only way to do that is with forced induction.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Thanks all. Appreciate the info.
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote