Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #71
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
Although it has been used before, Z/26 ?
The absolute cost of manufacturing a new vehicle to be limited only to police depts? DropTheDebbie.
Z26 wasn't a camaro. if I'm not mistaken it was a beretta.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #72
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNCH IT View Post
I agree with Vega, however regarding the source in this post, let me just say that GM also rated LS1s in F-bodies at from 305 and 310 in Z28s, and those were known, and proven to make near as much power as Corvette LS1s. I never dyno'd my '02 before adding mid-lengths, but it's common to have seen about 15 RWHP with them, and with the OEM tune, catback, and lid, my car put down a crappy 334 RWHP. My brother's car, with a lid and same catback put down 327. With the lid and catback being no more than 20 RWHP, combined, these cars were making the same power at the wheels as they were rated by GM. I'm using these points to illustrate GM's had a history of underrating cars and engines in the past. It is widely accepted DZs made more than the advertised rating...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #73
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Keep the v6, make a ttv6, bump the SS up to an Lsa and then make the Z/28 a light car with an LS3. Hows that sound?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #74
Scorch007

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
Going back to the talk about the G8, I heard they were bringing it back as the next generation Impala, but I could have heard wrong. And GM would be crazy to not bring the G8 back. Plain and simple. If it comes back as the Caprice or Impala or whatever, yay GM. If not, boo GM. But I still love em.
Scorch007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #75
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
First of all the Z/28 was more powerful than the SS, the SS with the 396 put around 350hp give or take, the Z/28 was rated at 290...rated...but that was just to get an advantage in the Trans Am series, the engines really put out a number closer to 420, so yes the Z/28 was more powerful and it had more aggressive gearing (wikipedia, video games, magazines, and anything else "official" will say 290hp just because that was GM's final word on the matter, that doesnt mean its true and it very much wasnt, the dynos were and still are closer to 420)

Anyways in response to this thread, may i be the first to smack my forehead...if you can already buy a 425hp Camaro what the hell is all the hype about a new one, lol, so what its a turbo V6 the V8 does that with not a damn thing attatched and thats where the bragging rights go, lol, and besides there wont be much weight savings, the V6 isnt THAT much lighter than the V8 and even then all the turbo stuff will even it out plus there'll still lower torque, the V6 is the economy car, not the performance car, stop trying to make it the performance car and all you tuners stop whining about it, this is a CAMARO not a friggin Civic, go rice out your 92' import-mobile...and if they do make a twin turbo V6 it better be the base engine for LT models (like Ford's doing with the Mustang) and that V8 better get the same 100hp boost, otherwise im totally not feeling the hype...plus the Z/28 needs to be the performance forerunner of the group, skim down all the luxury items (back seats stay, sorry guys this isnt a corvette its still a pony car) the most i'll let slide is leather, sunroof, and Bose radio, other than that throw all the other dumb accessories out cause they're making these cars cost too much as it is and its just the really retarted picky people who want them, us who are still into muscle cars and not luxury/muscle cars can handle having to put our key in the column and twist to start the engine...i know its a stretch, i know, but trust me, it does in fact work...

LOL...*end rant*

{speechless}
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #76
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Keep the v6, make a ttv6, bump the SS up to an Lsa and then make the Z/28 a light car with an LS3. Hows that sound?
I like this compromise. If they kept the LS7 it would be a nice option for the SS too.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #77
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
If they kept the LS7 it would be a nice option for the SS too.

Yeah but A very expensive one from what we have been told......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #78
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
First of all the Z/28 was more powerful than the SS, the SS with the 396 put around 350hp give or take, the Z/28 was rated at 290...rated...but that was just to get an advantage in the Trans Am series, the engines really put out a number closer to 420, so yes the Z/28 was more powerful and it had more aggressive gearing (wikipedia, video games, magazines, and anything else "official" will say 290hp just because that was GM's final word on the matter, that doesnt mean its true and it very much wasnt, the dynos were and still are closer to 420)

Anyways in response to this thread, may i be the first to smack my forehead...if you can already buy a 425hp Camaro what the hell is all the hype about a new one, lol, so what its a turbo V6 the V8 does that with not a damn thing attatched and thats where the bragging rights go, lol, and besides there wont be much weight savings, the V6 isnt THAT much lighter than the V8 and even then all the turbo stuff will even it out plus there'll still lower torque, the V6 is the economy car, not the performance car, stop trying to make it the performance car and all you tuners stop whining about it, this is a CAMARO not a friggin Civic, go rice out your 92' import-mobile...and if they do make a twin turbo V6 it better be the base engine for LT models (like Ford's doing with the Mustang) and that V8 better get the same 100hp boost, otherwise im totally not feeling the hype...plus the Z/28 needs to be the performance forerunner of the group, skim down all the luxury items (back seats stay, sorry guys this isnt a corvette its still a pony car) the most i'll let slide is leather, sunroof, and Bose radio, other than that throw all the other dumb accessories out cause they're making these cars cost too much as it is and its just the really retarted picky people who want them, us who are still into muscle cars and not luxury/muscle cars can handle having to put our key in the column and twist to start the engine...i know its a stretch, i know, but trust me, it does in fact work...

LOL...*end rant*
First of all the 396 SS had (a supposed) 375 HP. It has been posted numerous times that the DZ302 was underated, however even with the crossram and headers it was no more than 350 -360 HP (remember all HP ratings were gross back then). The under rating was due to insurance premiums not racing. The 450+ HP ratings were the race cars in the Trans Am series. Don't believe me look it up.
I am a BIG 69' Z/28 fan, but I'm tired of the myths that continue.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #79
mitchell87

Drives: 2010 Silverado 6.2L
I'm SOOOOO tired of this "ya but the 302 was underreated" shit, it was 40 years ago, let it go already!
mitchell87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #80
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
QUOTE=ShnOmac;1186518]Yeah but A very expensive one from what we have been told......[/QUOTE]

Oh Yeah! Seven Liter power is expensive.

http://www.usmracer.com/GM-LS-Series...s-_p_1969.html

But, if I knew it was coming I could save my pennies.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #81
bluez

Drives: 1996 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
Twin turbo V6 . This will probably add another, what - 5-7K? You will then have a V6 Camaro that is roughly on par with the V8 for the same price.
If it gets SS-like performance on regular gas, and maintains V6-level mpg, then it will have the best of both worlds. For those who want more, GM could get to work on a twin-turbo, direct injected, V8 option.
bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #82
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
If it gets SS-like performance on regular gas, and maintains V6-level mpg, then it will have the best of both worlds. For those who want more, GM could get to work on a twin-turbo, direct injected, V8 option.
sure it will be premium gas. cobalt SS took premium.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #83
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I wish the premium jungle juice we get here is like everyone else gets outside of California :( 91 octane FTL...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #84
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
"Lutz hinted at the possibility of a production version of the boosted, 425-hp V6 Camaro GM created for Jay Leno"

Im trying to figure out what exactly the point would be......

Anyone have any good ideas?
Comparable to the SS but with a few more miles to the gallon?

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote