Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Hwystr
GM Millwright

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, Lingenfelter
Brake fluid?

Getting ready to upgrade brakes, got new rotors( dba5000's /front. 4000's rear), pads(Hawk PC) and stainless lines etc. I still need to get some brake fluid to do the job, any recomendations or preferences on high temp fluids? Also since I will have to order it, how much will I need? thanks for replies.
Hwystr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Castrol SRF has been, is the gold standard for brake fluid and is priced like gold. There are a number of good fluids on the market. The most important specification is the wet boiling point. Pick the highest wet boiling point at the best price. Two bottles should be more than enough.

I do use Castrol SRF in my cars.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
just get a dot 4 with a high wet boiling point.

Amsoil, Motul, the blue stuff, etc
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
2quick

Drives: none
Are you going to be racing a lot? If you are what type of track? If i race a lot i use the srf. When its a dd and it will see some track time i use motul rbf600 or 660.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwystr View Post
Getting ready to upgrade brakes, got new rotors( dba5000's /front. 4000's rear), pads(Hawk PC) and stainless lines etc. I still need to get some brake fluid to do the job, any recomendations or preferences on high temp fluids? Also since I will have to order it, how much will I need? thanks for replies.
Good: AP Racing Formula 5.1 -- ideal viscosity for ABS use.

Better: AP600 -- still the standard of many race teams all over the world.

Best: AP PRF -- Among the highest boiling point available, very low compressibility and best recovery on the market. Expensive, but worth it if racing or tracking aggressively and fluid boiling. Used extensively in NASCAR and Formula 1!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Castrol SRF has been, is the gold standard for brake fluid and is priced like gold. There are a number of good fluids on the market. The most important specification is the wet boiling point. Pick the highest wet boiling point at the best price. Two bottles should be more than enough.

I do use Castrol SRF in my cars.
any side affects of using this product in a daily driver?
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Superblue for Pumpkin.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The most important specification is the wet boiling point. Pick the highest wet boiling point at the best price.
Wet boiling point is important for those who intend to keep the fluid in the car for more than two years. If changing brake fluid at regular two year intervals, the dry boiling point is much more important. For track use, we don't worry about wet boiling points at all as we change the fluid often. The wet boiling point is measured (per SAE standard testing) at approximately 3.7% moisture content, which describes a fluid that should have been replaced already.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Here's everything you need to know about brake fluid.

I run superblue DOT 4 in mine. I got one can and it worked just fine. If you go DOT 5.1 you should expect to change it out a lot more often (which can become a pain in the butt) than DOT 4 or even standard DOT 3.

Click on the link and it'll give you everything you need to know.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Chris_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Here's everything you need to know about brake fluid.

I run superblue DOT 4 in mine. I got one can and it worked just fine. If you go DOT 5.1 you should expect to change it out a lot more often (which can become a pain in the butt) than DOT 4 or even standard DOT 3.

Click on the link and it'll give you everything you need to know.
The change interval for DOT 5.1 is no different than DOT 3 or 4, although 5.1 does have a higher borate ester content. But that alone does not have an appreciable affect on its hygroscopic properties. Also, 5.1 is typically slightly denser (contains less dissolved air if packaged properly), meaning it is less compressible right out of the bottle.

A lot of people recommend the blue fluids, but I will not use it as they stain the master cylinder reservoir.

This link will have more details on brake fluid (simplified for those who aren't chemical engineers) than any I've found: http://www.rs683.com/abc.html