Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
yessir and i believe al implicitly
Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
0.97? Wow. I think the stang is around .9 and the chally is a bit better. Any guesses on slalom speed?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
headpunter

the chally does .86 according to edmunds

and the mustang gt500kr only does .92 and thats whith a supposedly 20k in suspension upgrades

and the base gt500 only does .90

porsche turbo (all wheel drive) .97

bmw m3 (e90)(newest v8) .95

Nissan r35 GT-R .98

Mitsubishi Evo X .94

mini cooper (suposedly great handling car) .89

just some numbers so you know how world class that .97 is. its amazing thats a tire swap to more grip then a GT-friggin R

Last edited by headpunter; 09-21-2008 at 11:53 AM.
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
This proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the new Camaro is going to be, a world class car, in handling and power!!! I love it. I'm anxious to see those pictures that you mentioned.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
headpunter

as soon as I get home I'm actually in Denver on my plane getting ready to fly to Portland or
Old 09-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
I'm wondering about the clutch set up, just how good is the stock clutch for the SS? How much added power can it take?
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #21
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
WOW, I think we just ran over a few more ponies!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
so today i was lucky enough to talk to al oppenhieser at great length. he had great insight into the car being head engineer.

the most important things i got out of him were

1. the camaro with the fe3 suspension will pull .97g in lateral acceleration on a skid pad. in comparison a porsche 911 turbo does .96....yes thats right a chevy is better from the factory. getting over 1g is a matter of changing to grippier tires. just think what it will do with the pedders bushing set. Al also said he he thought the pedders hard bushings would give it alot more.

2. for all the people wanting to run power adders on the engine and were wondering about the rear end IRS. dont worry. All said they have run 650 WHEEL HORSEPOWER thru it and it was still pristine he figured the stock rear end could handle much more. how much more i guess would be up to you to find out....

i also sat at the same table with John cox the accessories manager for the camaro. He was super great to bounce questions off of.

1. the blade spoiler is alot better then the normal rsv6 and ss spoiler and has been wind tunnel tested.

2. the ground effects kit has little effect on the aerodynamic properties.

3. there will be a hurst short throw shifter option for the car that makes the throws even better then the standard car and will be available with a pistol grip, t-handle or standard hurst ball shift knob.

really when at the moment i am so excited i cannot process all the joy i feel about the car and its capabilities. its just so much more then we could have asked for in this price bracket. its just simply amazing

i will post my pics later but now i have to go to bed since i have to be up in 5 hours to catch my plane.

good night all, Today was an AMAZING DAY for all camaro lovers. this car is so much more then i even dreamed of and we should all be rejoicing.
You said that Al said, 650 horse's maybe that's something to think about along the lines of the Z28 possibly
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
headpunter

they test all sorts of different setups for reliability . For all we know it could have been a variable hp electric motor to test the strength and reliability of the rear end

Also clutches aren't that expensive so I'm not worried about that

Also I think it's a little silly to believe they will put a 650whp setup in a z28
Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
mini cooper (suposedly great handling car) .89
Just for the record, grip and handling aren't the same thing. Grip is how well the tires stick. Handling is what happens when they stop sticking. Actually handling is so much more than that, but you get the idea. In the last issue of Motor Trend there is a really good article about everything that goes into "great handling".

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Just for the record, grip and handling aren't the same thing. Grip is how well the tires stick. Handling is what happens when they stop sticking. Actually handling is so much more than that, but you get the idea. In the last issue of Motor Trend there is a really good article about everything that goes into "great handling".
that same article is were i got most of those numbers
Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Steady state grip doesn't tell the whole story of handling. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but I have a hard time believing what is rumored to be a car around 30k is going to out handle a 130k (I think) Porsche 911 Turbo. There's a lot to consider when you talk about how a car "handles". Steady state grip, as in that .97g number is only one piece of a much larger puzzle.

But if it is true then it's very promising. It seems American car manufacturers sometimes over estimate car numbers, but if it's anywhere close to that number it's a sign of good things to come.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Steady state grip doesn't tell the whole story of handling. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but I have a hard time believing what is rumored to be a car around 30k is going to out handle a 130k (I think) Porsche 911 Turbo. There's a lot to consider when you talk about how a car "handles". Steady state grip, as in that .97g number is only one piece of a much larger puzzle.

But if it is true then it's very promising. It seems American car manufacturers sometimes over estimate car numbers, but if it's anywhere close to that number it's a sign of good things to come.
Skidpad #'s are good for knowing how the car will cope with highspeed turns. Slalom speed is a better indicator of actual handling.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #28
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Skidpad #'s are good for knowing how the car will cope with highspeed turns. Slalom speed is a better indicator of actual handling.
But in the end what I think we can take away from this is, if it can stick like a cat on velcro, then chances are good they also engineered it to transition and handle well too. This car is much more than an engine.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote