Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #113
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quick question for you all out there.

If there are only 2 V6s and 1 V8 option for the Camaro in the first year, and that V8 happens to be the L76 in the Pontiac G8 GT and not an LS3 would you all be disappointed?

Especially since GMs outgoing GTO had the 400hp LS2? Would a 361 hp L76 really seem like a slap in the face? How about one that was tweaked for an additional few ponies over the G8, like maybe 370-375hp?

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #114
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I'm sure the DI 3.6 will be a good performer but I wouldn't bet on seeing it putting down 290-300 rwhp stock like the (significantly underrated) fourth gen V8 did, even though it has a similar peak hp rating. The difference in torque will be even more pronounced.
I just checked on a Cadillac forum to see what people who have the DI'd CTS think about it. From what I've read, it sounds like off the line the engine is average but when you get above 3000 RPM it really takes off.

That might go against what alot of people would percieve a Camaro would be - a high reving technological tour de force instead of low end big block grunt. But I would think that would be fun to row through the gears with.

Fbodfather's comment about drivetrain changes now has me completely second-guessing this, however. Thanks alot, Scott! Way to stir the pot!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #115
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Quick question for you all out there.

If there are only 2 V6s and 1 V8 option for the Camaro in the first year, and that V8 happens to be the L76 in the Pontiac G8 GT and not an LS3 would you all be disappointed?
Especially since GMs outgoing GTO had the 400hp LS2? Would a 361 hp L76 really seem like a slap in the face? How about one that was tweaked for an additional few ponies over the G8, like maybe 370-375hp?

Me personally, I wouldn't be disappointed. The L76 is a good engine, runs on regular gas, has AFM and from what I've read it would take very little to boost the hp's to 400 or more with adjustments. Most of this you can find easily searching around here.
361hp a slap in the face? No, I'd be happy with it. (Ahh, not the slap in the face, the engine (Long as it sounds good ) Be happier with the LS3, but hey, we'll just have to wait and see, right?
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #116
Rock36
I just like V8s

Yeah, I was just curious if there was or is a general expectation that a V8 Camaro offer at least the same amount of power as the outgoing GTO.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #117
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
It has to be the LS3. The Mustang will have about the same amount of power as the L76 come 2009. Perhaps, the LS3 is going to have some changes made to it (compression ratio, bore, etc.) to make it slightly more powerful (450 HP?) than what it is now and that's what we'll get. The LT1s and LS1s had some power increases occur in their lifetimes.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #118
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Well that puts to bed the whole 2 v6 and 2 v8 stuff. But that's good news...good find!!
yeah 2 v8's ......at first. they could bring a bigger v8 model out a few months later.

so the odds are its a 6.2 for the v8 and the 6 would be the 3.6 di and......??????? what???
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #119
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
As long as I get a V8 with lovely rumble followed by a roar when pushing the pedal, and that has decent mileage, I'm happy.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
yeah 2 v8's ......at first. they could bring a bigger v8 model out a few months later.

so the odds are its a 6.2 for the v8 and the 6 would be the 3.6 di and......??????? what???
Im not sure what you are getting at. Are you saying that you believe they will offer 3 V8 engines for the Camaro? No way that is happening unless the third is for a super special edition. Remember, the majority of the sales will be V6, and necause of that, odds are there will be 2 V6's offered. It is possible that they will offer 4 engines, similar to the Charger's line up, but not 5.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #121
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Here's my "professional" opinion.:p

Upon Release: 2 V6's. 1 V8.
Later on: 1 more V8 (a behemoth of a V8...as in 500+hp)

However, I've given up guessing what the engines are. Because any knowlege I thought I had on the subject has been wisked away by Fbodfather's kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Don't believe anything you read about powertrains -- there have been some recent changes -- and that's all I'll say about that...................
I've read magazines claiming that the LS3 WILL be put in. I've read mags claiming the L76 WILL be in. And I've read articles with the the 3.9 WILL be in it. So...I can't believe any of that.

And I'm not complaining.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #122
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I really don't see them doing two V6's, something about that just doesn't sit well with me, especially if the goal is "class leading fuel economy" for the V8 as Mr. Settlemire has already stated. Two V6's would be pointless.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #123
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Rock, I'm expecting at least 375 base...or am hoping for. As for the Cadillac only accellerating after 3,000RPM, it might do that for traction control (would you think?). My dad owned a Merc Benz E320 and that thing hauled @ss. When you floor it, it wouldn't break traction. But, like the Caddy, would take off like no ones business after a few grand RPM. I think it's probably electronically controlled to do that.

I don't have any FREAKING CLUE as to what is going into the Camaro anymore. At first, I was told it would be two V6's. One for the masses w/ good power to save on INS and then a hi-po V6 that gets great gas mileage and has HP leves equivelant to that of a 4th Gen Z28....still saving money on INS. I wasn't told anything about the V8. But, obviously there has to be one.

My guess...no idea. Thinking two V6's and one V8 to start out with. Then, as time goes on, they add a super duper V8....something to shut down ALL competition. The next year of sales will be two V8's...hell...I don't know. I give up.

Again, just happy to know it's going to be out and there will be at least one w/ over 400hp that I WILL BE DRIVING!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #124
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
The way I see it, as far as HP goes... it's the stock HP rating they are giving you.

I'd rather get a lower powered V8 with greater aftermarket support (intake, exhaust, timing, etc, easy peezy), than a high-powered untouchable V8.

Considering I've only ever owned 4-bangers, this car is going to be a MASSIVE leap for me.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #125
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I'll be coming from a turbo'd 5 cylinder and will be glad to trade turbo lag for naturally aspirated V8 power.

As my Camaro will be my one and only car (til after I scoop the woman destiny and probably still after)- No engine mods!!! If this was a weekend car I'd bust the can open. Brembo's and exhaust might be the only mods my Camaro will ever see.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #126
Rock36
I just like V8s

I think my guess is in line with TAGs idea. There will be one initial V8 and then later a stronger V8.

I have a feeling the first V8 will be the L76, based on the fact it is in the Commodore and the G8 on the Zeta platform, and is a new generation motor unlike the LS3.

If the first V8 is only the L76, I was curious if that would upset people that expected an LS engine or expected more power than the GTO.

I mean everyone expected the base V8 on the Challenger to be the 6.1L engine, and now we are reasonably sure that 6.1L is only for the SRT-8s with the base being the 5.7L