Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
First, its not going to hurt the car to run the lower grade fuels, except for the fact that I believe the premium grade fuels are of a higher quality as well as being a higher octane, so components like injectors, pumps, and the like live longer on a steady diet of premium fuel than they will the lower grades. Our cars have a 19 gallon tank. There is a 20 - 30 cent difference between regular and premium, so on a complete fill up, you are looking at $3.80 to $5.70 difference on tank cost. Even if you fill up once a week, you are looking at an annual savings of about $250 per year. It does not seem worth it to me...to each his own!
Exactly my thoughts too. I want the logic behind it. Trying to save money, don't care, something else? If folks want to save money, bypass the Camaro SS and pick up a Chevy Spark.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
union894

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss 8A
I run diesel in mine no difference in performance and I get great mileage
union894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by union894 View Post
Lol
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by union894 View Post
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
KlugSS

Problem with running low quality low octane gasoline is your car will be locked into low octane mode even if you decide to run 91+ so you will not feel a difference in power since you are still running timing for low octane. You would have to a fuse pull every fill up of higher quality higher octane fuel.

I locked mine in high octane mode all the time. It never runs lower timing.

This post I made in a fuse pull thread but it still explains why people that run shit gas don't feel the power increase when running better gas. There IS a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlugSS View Post
There is two octane timing tables.
High octane table Low octane

High octane will have the most advance timing under part throttle and wide open throttle.
Which will give you the most horsepower and torque.

Low octane will be the lowest advance timing under part and wide open throttle.
There will be a reduction in power on this mode.

What the PCM does is watch the knock sensor to determine what mode to use. If you have good gas, 91 or above. The engine can run the high octane map without knocking or needing to reduce timing. What happens when you run lower quality gas like 89 or below, or maybe even low quality 91. You can and will start to knock, it will not be something you will hear but the PCM will notice and reduce timing to an appropriate amount to protect the engine from pre destination or knock. If the PCM logs that it is pulling timing for extended amounts of time or pulling timing severely enough, the PCM will go to the Low Octane table to reduce the maximum amount of timing to combat the knock from the lower octane fuel. This will cause a drop in power as well.
What the camaro does as soon as your PCM moves to the Lower Octane table it will NOT move back. So you could be driving it around with high octane fuel in the tank but the pcm is still in low octane mode. If this happens you won't have the extra power or benefit of high octane fuel.
When you pull the fuse it allows the PCM to reset and it will use the high octane mode until it needs to switch again.

I dumbed it down so I hope it still makes sense.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
This thread is new and exciting.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Personally I did not buy the Camaro to pinch pennies, I prefer to work my butt off so I can always treat her nice. Wouldn't running 87 octaine also gunk your engine up more because it is not burning off at the rate of 93?

As far as 87 in the 93 slot at the pumps, you're using the same pump to obtain 3 different octaines of gas, you will get some left over of what the person before used. As well I suppose it is possible to get all 87 when paying for 93, have you never gotten a Sprite in a vending machine when you clicked for a Coke?
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Here's the thread (page 2 towards the bottom): http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302162

I'm not trying to call this guy out (suzook), but he claims he runs 87 in his SS all the time because most gas stations have 87 in their 93 pumps anyways. Also, he claims it doesn't make that big of a difference in performance.... You buy a $45 SS, then fill it with 87 to pinch a few pennies?
You know you contradicted yourself there. Anyways, I would just run 93.
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS785 View Post
You know you contradicted yourself there. Anyways, I would just run 93.
How did I contradict myself? I gave a brief synopsis of the topic and asked what others thought of this member's logic.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Saying most filling stations use 87 in all their tanks is a myth. There are some no doubt, BUT...

There are VERY tight restrictions and if a station is caught doing that or giving less fuel than advertised for the price, the fines are HUGE and the state can shut them down.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
If 91-93 is too expensive to put in your Camaro, then more then likely the Camaro is too expensive as well..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #26
suzook

Drives: camaro
And yours is locked in low octane mode....on one of the fill ups you THINK is premium. Do you do a fuse pull every month? If not, your probably at low octane mode now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlugSS View Post
Problem with running low quality low octane gasoline is your car will be locked into low octane mode even if you decide to run 91+ so you will not feel a difference in power since you are still running timing for low octane. You would have to a fuse pull every fill up of higher quality higher octane fuel.

I locked mine in high octane mode all the time. It never runs lower timing.

This post I made in a fuse pull thread but it still explains why people that run shit gas don't feel the power increase when running better gas. There IS a difference.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
KlugSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
And yours is locked in low octane mode....on one of the fill ups you THINK is premium. Do you do a fuse pull every month? If not, your probably at low octane mode now.
I don't pull the fuse. I used hp tuners to copy the high octane timing map over to the low octane table. That way it's always running the timing for higher octane fuel even if it switches maps.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Side question: Do the 2013's still need a fuse pull when 87 is run? Or was it only a problem on the 10-12s?
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote