Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
cspd

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic(Work)
I am so psyched about the camaro coming that I can hardly wait. But, with all the hype about the V-6 I'm just hoping that the base V-8(which I WILL be getting) is at LEAST 400hp. I have driven a bunch of ls2 GTO's and while they are fast, i'm hoping the camaros numbers will be better. Black on Black 6sp!!!
cspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #16
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
The base V8 is going to be an absolute monster "IF" the V6 is nearly as fast as my '96 LT1.
I agree with you completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhed View Post
I think that will be true of a "high feature V-8" but probably not the base V-8? They are out to beat the mustang, challenger, and charger out of the gate correct? So, theoretically, they would want the base V-8 to be able to outperform these guys while still being the affordable camaro we knew in the past. The high end V-8 which may be SS, whatever they decide to call it can be the top dog gunning for the Mustang GT500, etc.
The LT1 was/is an amazing engine...and the LS1 is amazing, too (each having their strengths and weaknesses). You can't even begin to deny that. In fact, they were/are very powerful engines. So I would say that if the V6 does in fact give 4th Gen LT1s a run for their money...then the base V8 will definitely be quite the monster. Also, the Challenger and Charger aren't the Camaro's direct competitors. The Mustang definitely is...and I believe that the V6 Camaro might scare current Mustang GTs...

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I love it.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
I agree with you completely!

The LT1 was/is an amazing engine...and the LS1 is amazing, too (each having their strengths and weaknesses). You can't even begin to deny that. In fact, they were/are very powerful engines. So I would say that if the V6 does in fact give 4th Gen LT1s a run for their money...then the base V8 will definitely be quite the monster. Also, the Challenger and Charger aren't the Camaro's direct competitors. The Mustang definitely is...and I believe that the V6 Camaro might scare current Mustang GTs...
I hope that this will be the case.
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
mjwaldschm

Drives: 2001 Camaro Convert
Send a message via AIM to mjwaldschm
How was the Focus Group Members Selected?

I am a first time poster but have been following the numerous threads for months on the progress of the 5thgen Camaro. Thanks so much to everyone for all the info. And I too am xnxiously awaiting its arrival!

May have convinced my husband and son to trailer his just finished restoration on his 1970 Z28 to Indy. Would be awesome for him to drive it on the Indy Track. While I get my first glimpse of my next car.

Anyways my question is how did GM selection individual for participation in the Focus Group for the Camaro development? Sorry if this was already published in a much earlier blog but I've searched and couldn't find the answer.

Also would like to know if rally stripes were part of the options discussed Milford experience?
mjwaldschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #20
Dark Eric

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
PLEASE JUST CONFIRM THAT NAVY-BLUE (METALLIC HOPEFULLY) IS IN THE LINE-UP!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwaldschm View Post
I am a first time poster but have been following the numerous threads for months on the progress of the 5thgen Camaro. Thanks so much to everyone for all the info. And I too am xnxiously awaiting its arrival!

May have convinced my husband and son to trailer his just finished restoration on his 1970 Z28 to Indy. Would be awesome for him to drive it on the Indy Track. While I get my first glimpse of my next car.

Anyways my question is how did GM selection individual for participation in the Focus Group for the Camaro development? Sorry if this was already published in a much earlier blog but I've searched and couldn't find the answer.

Also would like to know if rally stripes were part of the options discussed Milford experience?
The 15 were picked out of a group who submitted essays on a particular GM website. The essay (I believe) was no more than 500 words describing how you are a Camaro enthusiast. GM read them and picked their people to represent all types of Camaro buyers.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 AM   #22
17ac

Drives: none yet
I just got my hugger orange Camaro with black stripes.

It was 97 cents at Wall Mart...but i still do donuts with it...

When the bogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for the Chevy Camaro.

When pictures of the Chevy Camaro were shown in France, the French surrendered to the Chevy Camaro just to be on the safe side.

Google won't search for Chevy Camaro because it knows you don't find Chevy Camaros. Chevy Camaros find you.

The original title for "Alien vs. Predator" was "Alien vs. Predator vs. Chevy Camaro." It was cancelled in preproduction, because film execs knew no one would pay 9 bucks to see a movie 14 seconds long.
17ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #23
Sabre7
I need a bigger garage

Drives: Too many to list
Wow.. you chosen few have contributed much to the final product...
it is only right that they show you how much they listened. Congrats...

I can't wait...
"The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt." -- Unknown

68 Baldwin Motion 427 Camaro SS (clone)
79 Camaro SS concept
2002 Z28
2005 Silverado Special POS Edition
2007 C6 Z51 Coupe
Sabre7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #24
Mike C

Drives: 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
:5thgenvert: :party0038:

C'mon Hugger orange!!!!!!
Make my Hugger Orange Camaro a Ragtop! Please....
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #25
sykotik

Drives: nothing
Just thought I'd throw a little information out there on the latest from Road and Track: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6814

The comments for that article is where I found this site and BOY am I glad I did. I love Camaro's, always have, always will. Never had the ability or pleasure to own a brand new one, and when they killed them off, I thought I never would. Thankfully, in the years since, I've pushed myself in my career, am now a network engineer, and have been saving in anticipation of the new Camaro.

I'm not going to buy the SS though (that's the "base" V8 that will come out first) No no, I'm waiting for the Z/28... supercharged, rumored to be around 450-500HP. Yeah... I'm waiting for that... yeah...

Great site guys! Going to grab another beer and DEVOUR all content on this site RIGHT NOW.

Info from article:

"Slated to bow in the first quarter of 2009 as an early 2010 model, it's expected that the Camaro will be offered in three trim levels — LS, LT and SS. The base LS may be powered by Chevy's 3.5-liter pushrod V-6 making about 220 bhp. The LT models would use the overhead-cam direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 developing upward of 300 bhp, while the SS will be powered by a 6.2-liter LS3 V-8 (similar to that found in the Corvette) tuned to produce around 400–405 bhp. A year after launch, Chevy will introduce a convertible version and after that a high-performance Z28 model with a super-charged 6.2-liter sibling to the Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor known as the LSA. That engine would make somewhere in the neighborhood of 480–500 bhp and is similar to the engine used in the upcoming Cadillac CTS-V."

Last edited by sykotik; 05-30-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added a lil info so you didn't have to hop over to the site.
sykotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #26
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
gosh i almost felt like i was there...i would have asked if i could have rode in it with someone driving it...

then if they would let you id tell the driver "KICK OFF THE HEELS AND FLOOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #27
Camaroman_99

Drives: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Great report!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
took me this long to actually read it. Wish I was there to see it, sounds like it was an awesome experience.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote