Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Exclamation engine problems!!!

well I have a big issue with my LLT engine. I am about to go in a 550 mile roadtrip from houston to lubbock texas. I just got an cel light and apparentlyI am having misfires in the engine. I have to leave tomorrow cause I start school Wednesday.

the delarship said I may have a blown engine if I leave... if I do get a blow... what happens and what would I do?

thank goodness I.havent put in the catch can yet since it could affect the.engine or at least what they would say. all I got is a intake and exhaust. would that cuse misfires?
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
does anything in particular cause the misfire?

is the misfire in bank 1, bank 2, or both? is it isolated to 1 cylinder or multiple cylinders?

does it misfire while idling? does it idle rough? during high rpm's?

how many miles do you have on it?

when did you install your CAI? did you check to make sure your breather hose that connects it to the PCV on the rear driver side didn't come loose?

is it audible or just throw a CEL? do you have an OBD scanner or app to check/clear faults?

miss the first day or two of school and forget about making honor roll to fix your car or risk missing school due to no ride for an unspecified period of time... i'd take the first option.

it could be something very simple...if its something you're willing to tackle yourself, take your time and be methodical.

good luck
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
J_Vibe92

well I started my car and got an unsual rumble then I got the cel light. in.the exhaust sound I can hear a strange sound... like a waka waka waka sound. they said I was having misfires according.to the code but told.me to come in at 7am to get it checked again. I hear the sound change.

ive had my intake since last october and my breather on the pcv clean side seems tight? should I change back to stock intake or no? I dunno really what to do cause I.have to be up there and service of it was said to be about a week
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
J_Vibe92

I'm traveling to college not high school so I have to get up there as quick as possible because I miss the first day of classes does drop you from the course
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
damn man. Make sure you take out the intake before you bring it in. Tell them it has stock intake the entire time

And if you really need to get to school, and cant find another car. I say **** it and drive it.

If it blows,it blows, under warranty regardless
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
416Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Heres an idea. First, Change the intake, Do not drive your car for the trip in case your engine blows. School is more important than your car so take your car to the dealer. Make sure that you deny ever changing the stock intake. There will be a code that comes up about the intake you were using an aftermarket intake, but just stick to this story should work like a charm. Then Make it clear that you will need a vehicle for your first day of school and that it is extremely important that you be there on time. Imply that it is an inconvenience for this to happen because the vehicle is new or like new. The car they will give you should be covered under the warranty but make sure you hear these words come out of the persons mouth. you wouldn't have to pay a dime. Take the loaner car up to school man. Be in class on time.
M6 MODS: OBX LT headers, Magnaflow Resonated Xpipe, MRT V2 Axle back, K&N intake, Trifecta Tune,Sidemarker & Tail Light Blackout, Black Vinyl Emblems, CCFL Angel Eye Projectors, 35% & 5% Tint, Plasti Dip Rocker Stripes/Gas Cap, Blacked Out Tail Light Bezels....More to come.
416Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Camaro View Post
Heres an idea. First, Change the intake, Do not drive your car for the trip in case your engine blows. School is more important than your car so take your car to the dealer. Make sure that you deny ever changing the stock intake. There will be a code that comes up about the intake you were using an aftermarket intake, but just stick to this story should work like a charm. Then Make it clear that you will need a vehicle for your first day of school and that it is extremely important that you be there on time. Imply that it is an inconvenience for this to happen because the vehicle is new or like new. The car they will give you should be covered under the warranty but make sure you hear these words come out of the persons mouth. you wouldn't have to pay a dime. Take the loaner car up to school man. Be in class on time.
Well said sir
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
416Camaro

Appreciate the honesty ^^
M6 MODS: OBX LT headers, Magnaflow Resonated Xpipe, MRT V2 Axle back, K&N intake, Trifecta Tune,Sidemarker & Tail Light Blackout, Black Vinyl Emblems, CCFL Angel Eye Projectors, 35% & 5% Tint, Plasti Dip Rocker Stripes/Gas Cap, Blacked Out Tail Light Bezels....More to come.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #9
J_Vibe92

why would the intake be bad though?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #10
J_Vibe92

all I thought it does is bring more air to engine
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
i agree...school is importante but didn't realize you would get dropped for missing the first day.

anyhow, an aftermarket CAI should NOT dismiss your warranty due to a misfire. if you ever have questions about what will effect your warranty, call them and ask and if they will still warrant the work with aftermarket parts in place. swapping out the CAI back to stock isn't the honest way of doing things....you've gotta pay to play. yeah, it covers your ass, but if the CAI was the cause (which its not) then why should the dealership pay for your f* up? just sayin...

i doubt they'll even blink an eye at the CAI or even say that its the cause of the issue and deny your warranty work. anyhow, make sure you report back.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
416Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
why would the intake be bad though?
It would'nt be bad just dont want to give them a reason to blame it on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
all I thought it does is bring more air to engine
that is all it does so i wouldn't see a problem going in with it on, I changed minewhen i took it to the dealer
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
J_Vibe92

well I believe in honesty so im at the dealership now with my aftermarket cai in.. ill tell yall what they say
Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
J_Vibe92

well apparently they said the mis fire was sooo quick ( about .36 sec) that it was no big deal?
they said i might of got water in my fuel system but idunno how but yeah. well, now im about trek on my 550 mile roadtrip by myself back up to Lubbock for college... today would be rainy and in the 30s..no speeding for me in these crappy all weather tires