Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
Learn how to sell a car...

My dealership experiences have not been good. I keep going in looking, I'm a serious buyer but I am specific about what I want. I keep having these wretched experiences with these pushy sales guys who just don't get it. Don't pressure me into buying or I'm just gonna leave and talk $hit about you on C5. The way to sell is by stroking my ego and assuring me that your going to find the right car for me... not by pushing the shit on your lot I don't want. Listen to what I want and go find it for me.... then... I'll buy from you. Tell me I look great in this car and that it seems like a perfect fit for me... don't tell me you don't know much about Chevy's you are the GMC guy or you just sound like a tard that I don't wanna buy a car from.

I wanna feel stoked when I open my wallet and pull out 30+ grand for the most expensive thing I've ever bought in my life... I don't wanna feel like I'm getting suckered by the sloppily dressed d bag who's trying to hit a quota.

I do sales for a living... you gotta sell yourself and make people excited about what they are buying... not push them and pressure them to buy what they don't want.... or they'll do what I did and go somewhere else.
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
i totally agree man. . I do sales also and it took me 4 months to find some one to purchase my work dodge nitro from. . . most are just idiots.

My camaro purchase. . . well it came down to who wasn't charging over MSRP. . internet sales guy wasn't to bad. . kinda strange old, smoky man. . .but he treated me good. . . came out and said, "jeremy, you and I both know you know more about this car than I do." Tell me what you want and i'll make it happen."
Old 05-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
My dealership experiences have not been good. I keep going in looking, I'm a serious buyer but I am specific about what I want. I keep having these wretched experiences with these pushy sales guys who just don't get it. Don't pressure me into buying or I'm just gonna leave and talk $hit about you on C5. The way to sell is by stroking my ego and assuring me that your going to find the right car for me... not by pushing the shit on your lot I don't want. Listen to what I want and go find it for me.... then... I'll buy from you. Tell me I look great in this car and that it seems like a perfect fit for me... don't tell me you don't know much about Chevy's you are the GMC guy or you just sound like a tard that I don't wanna buy a car from.

I wanna feel stoked when I open my wallet and pull out 30+ grand for the most expensive thing I've ever bought in my life... I don't wanna feel like I'm getting suckered by the sloppily dressed d bag who's trying to hit a quota.

I do sales for a living... you gotta sell yourself and make people excited about what they are buying... not push them and pressure them to buy what they don't want.... or they'll do what I did and go somewhere else.
Here's how I go about buying a car. I figure out the exact car that I want and I go to KBB.com and find out what both the list and invoice prices are for the exact vehicle that I want. If I have a trade in I also find out the trade in value from that site. Once I am armed with that information, I will go to a dealership and begin the negotiations.
I do not care if the salesman knows what he is talking about because I know what I am buying. I have already done all of my research. Each part of the deal is seperate. I do not want to talk about payments, I want to talk about prices. I start with the car itself. I already know the price of my vehicle so I am looking to get the lowest price at this stage. I WILL NOT pay over sticker even if the dashboard was autographed by Sunyap Lee himself. What is usually a fair is a price somewhere between sticker and invoice unless they have a lot full of the car that you are looking for then the bottom price will be below invoice. Camaros do not fall into this category yet
Next we move onto the trade in. Be realistic about the condition of your trade at KBB.com and you will be close to what they will give you. Do not take less than what the web site says that your car is worth. If they have your car on the lot, then go for it. If they don't, then order a car. You are going to have this car for years so be patient and get what you really want. In 1998, I wanted an SS and settled for a Z-28 because they had one on the lot. Every time that I saw an SS, I knew that I had made a mistake and should have waited for a factory order. I corrected that in 2002 and ordered my SS. Next watch out for the dealer add ons at the finance department such as rust proofing and warranties. This is where they have one last shot at upping the price on you. Do not add anything that you did not want in the beginning. All I wanted was enhanced Lojac and I got it. Remember EVERYTHING is always open to negotiations including the prices of warranties if you want them, I do not want them because they are just a profit enhancer for the dealer.
In the end, if the salesman is a giant douche bag with a diamond pinkie ring, who cares. If the salesman will not give you the deal that you want, then move on to the next dealer. Camaro prices are usually better at the beginning of winter in the snow belt.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
J4R3D

Drives: '11 5.0 Order Canceled...
quick fix, bypass sales people all together and head to the fleet managers office. buy the car for invoice or below, go home happy.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Well said sir

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post

And dealerships wonder why they can't sell a car for more than invoice...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Goldman

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I suggest a quick dealership research online. They have reviews on them, go to a positive review one and bam! I did that, and actually work! They actually work with you on options and everything, wanting to give you the best price and earn that business.
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Maa107
Someone give me a Camaro!

Drives: '09HHR
So if i research and have stuff printed from kbb.com stating i should only pay xxx amount then do a just tell them that?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
J4R3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa107 View Post
So if i research and have stuff printed from kbb.com stating i should only pay xxx amount then do a just tell them that?
there are thousands of dealerships, you will find the right one that gives you the price you deserve. be willing to walk away if your not comfortable with the deal, never settle.

Why not buy from Camaro Scotty?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Did Michael do something, or are you talking about the local dealers?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Maa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R3D View Post
there are thousands of dealerships, you will find the right one that gives you the price you deserve. be willing to walk away if your not comfortable with the deal, never settle.

Why not buy from Camaro Scotty?
we'll i am planning on doing so, his dealership is only 2 1/2 hours form where i live, but i really dont know yet since im on a really tight budget dont know if i can afford to go up there...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
J4R3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa107 View Post
we'll i am planning on doing so, his dealership is only 2 1/2 hours form where i live, but i really dont know yet since im on a really tight budget dont know if i can afford to go up there...
You can do it all through phone and fax, see how much he will charge to put it on a trailer for you. I got my last car 120 miles away and they put it on a flat bed for $500!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
Maa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4R3D View Post
You can do it all through phone and fax, see how much he will charge to put it on a trailer for you. I got my last car 120 miles away and they put it on a flat bed for $500!
Nice! Then I guess it's not too difficult thanks for the info!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Did Michael do something, or are you talking about the local dealers?
Micheal has been the best yet. He's been awesome. I'm talking about a dealership I went to yesterday. Rather not call them out on here but in general... its how I usually feel at the dealerships. I just think the pressure tactics aren't the way to go.
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote