Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
yeah, i think it looks freaking awesome. if you can make due with the fog lights then rock and roll on brotha !!!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #30
Bmbl-B
THE TERROR CONTINUES

Drives: 95 imp ss 67 TT PS NOVA 07GMC
Do whatever you like to YOUR car with YOUR money just dont post it or you will get lots crap like this !!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #31
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I'm curious to see how it looks at night, and how it will look with the hid fogs.

For now, do you drive it at night?
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #32
TheColorBlack

Drives: Black 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
It is your car and you can do what you want with it but I feel a need to express how dangerous this is.

I know you think that putting HID in fog lights will be like a set of headlights but as I mentioned before the output depends strictly on the angle of reflection off of the reflector. These facets are engineered for a very specific purpose.

Headlights are designed to "throw" light down-road while maintaining a cut-off line to not blind other drivers.

Here is an example of a standard low beam driving light:

"Fog" lights are simply auxiliary lights they have no throw but create a "bubble" of light around the car giving you more peripheral. They are intentionally designed not to project far because there is no cut-off line. If they projected far they would blind oncoming traffic.

Example of a normal fog light beam pattern:

So WHY is this a problem? Because you can easily outrun your visible light while driving at night.

By "outrun" I am not saying you are going to travel at the speed of light but rather the vehicle is traveling faster than your reaction time is capable of of stopping the car if, for instance, there is a broken down car in your lane on a dark highway or a kid walks in front of your car on a rural road.

Vehicles are required to illuminate the road furhter than their maximum stopping distance. So not only is this illegal but it is seriously endangering yourself and others.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but this is not my opinion, its fact. I am sorry but this thread is a good example of what not to do to your Camaro.

wow...didnt know headlight throw 470 m. learn something new everyday

But can you even see a dog in the middle of the street 400m away?
TheColorBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #33
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Looks aren't everything, especially when it comes to safety and head lights... If your gonna do this you should add projectors to your headlights, you will be all set, and have the exact same look for the most part.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #34
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Are you serious dude?? WTF is wrong with you?? This is worse than those idiots driving around with just fogs on. They still have headlights they could turn on. My roomate did the same thing you did plus 1 extra step. Added projectors. I cant believe you actually think you will be able to safely drive at night. And all HID fogs are going to do in the stock housings is throw light everywhere and look just as bad as your headlights.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #35
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
I personally agree that halos look really cool without an overpowering light behind it, HOWEVER this seems like a fairly dangerous mod (screw legality, I'm talking strictly safety, and not just for you but also everyone around you, you're playing with a lot of people's lives that have no say in the matter). Did you ever consider flipping this mod and doing the HIDs in the headlights and blacking out the fog reflector then installing the halos there? It would give the same appearance but without the added headache. Not to mention I personally think it would look very weird and unbalanced, if you know what I mean, to have the bright lights down below and the dimmer lights up above.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #36
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlow84 View Post
I personally agree that halos look really cool without an overpowering light behind it, HOWEVER this seems like a fairly dangerous mod (screw legality, I'm talking strictly safety, and not just for you but also everyone around you, you're playing with a lot of people's lives that have no say in the matter). Did you ever consider flipping this mod and doing the HIDs in the headlights and blacking out the fog reflector then installing the halos there? It would give the same appearance but without the added headache. Not to mention I personally think it would look very weird and unbalanced, if you know what I mean, to have the bright lights down below and the dimmer lights up above.
Either way you do HIDs they still dont put out anywhere near the light as a projector does and the light would glare everywhere. And he wouldnt be as cool with blacked out fogs as he is with no headlights.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #37
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Either way you do HIDs they still dont put out anywhere near the light as a projector does and the light would glare everywhere. And he wouldnt be as cool with blacked out fogs as he is with no headlights.
I think you misunderstand me. The HIDs would be in the actual headlights, in other words, mimic an RS car without the halos on the headlights. The fog light reflectors would be blacked out with the bulbs disabled (as he currently has done with the headlights) leaving just the halos. This would give almost the same appearance as he is going for right now except the lights would be flipped (and legal/safe).
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #38
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY
...this is my addiction!

Drives: SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
Looks aren't everything, especially when it comes to safety and head lights... If your gonna do this you should add projectors to your headlights, you will be all set, and have the exact same look for the most part.
i will look into this. thanks!

by the way where can i find some?? all i can find are the ones for the fogs
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #39
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Definitely looks sick. hope the foglight headlights work out for you.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #40
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLaDeL_LyRiKaL View Post
by the way where can i find some??
Get in touch with LightWerkz

Quote:
HID Projector Retrofit Conversions

HID Projector retrofitting requires you to provide a set of headlights for us to complete the final product. Pricing includes set of headlights to be converted, not including any additional product, shipping, or surcharge fees. All conversions come featured with a full craftsmanship and condensation warranty. Please read our Policy section for more details.

HID Projector retrofitting allows us to convert your current headlights with the best available technology. This highly specialized service we offer involves installing HID projectors into reflector-based headlights, or if the car already comes with projectors, we can replace them with ones of better quality and performance. This allows the customer to obtain the absolute best performance available on the market without any compromises. These conversions are hand built by our team on a per order basis so you can count on the attention to detail and high levels of quality.

Base labor costs on a single projector retrofit conversion range between $320-$840. Costs will vary depending on application type, sealant type, and parts used in the conversion. Please contact us directly for a quote on labor.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #41
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Halos look better with Hids at night imo. Throw some head lights on the car...I cant imagine why anyone with a brain wouldnt want headlights?

A;so did they have a larger size Halo ring? They look kind of small and weird. The stock ones are big enough to fill the headlight housing which makes it look a lot better imo.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #42
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
This is shockingly "wrong". Even if you're a fed, cop, judge, etc. all this "trust me I won't get caught" jazz is foolish beyond belief. If you hit someone; kill a pedestrian; hit debris in the road at night because you didn't see it in time... your insurance company will absolutely not cover you. In fact, once the police/investigators see what you did you may actually be facing criminal charges if there's a fatality, and at the very least you would most likely be getting sued.

This is unbelievably illegal and recklessly foolish. It doesn't matter how it looks; this is such a serious safety issue anybody with ANY sense would be telling you it's wrong. There's also the issue of other drivers being able to see YOU at night; especially in bad weather with reduced visibility. And ANY accident you're in? All somebody has to say is "I didn't see him because his headlights are painted black" and you're screwed. This is actually worse than putting a limo tint on your lights.

If any police, sheriff, highway patrol sees this... you won't just get a ticket, they'll probably impound and tow your car and refuse to let you drive it away. Kid.... buy another set of headlights; either replacements for what you have or go to HID but PLEASE don't drive around with what you've done. I don't want to hear "it's cool", "I've been doing it for years with no problem" etc. It only takes a frightening second to kill someone and for someone (maybe even you) to lose their life because you think this "looks cool" is so wrong...so wrong...

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote