Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
Anyone planning on getting their warranty work done at a local shop/NON dealership?

I have a local shop i go through and they said they could handle my warranty work for me...hence not having to worry about the mods i do...

just curious if anyone has gone or is gonna go this route.

should be able to take it to any certified shop..
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
thats sounds good, but what would happen if the shop went out of business for some reason.....
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Killa View Post
I have a local shop i go through and they said they could handle my warranty work for me...hence not having to worry about the mods i do...

Are they a Chevy authorized repair shop? If not, you are taking a big risk, I don't see how they could do authorized repairs if they are warranty related. Are you going to pay out of pocket for their work? If they aren't affiliated with Chevy and not specifically certified, I would think twice about this. If you decide to go with them, you are opening yourself up for problems related to future warranty work on big stuff.

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
Not worth the risk imo. Establish a relationship with the dealer, they can do it best.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Killa View Post

had problems a couple of years ago with my brakes on my gm car. car was still under warranty but thought brakes were not covered...you know consumables. well the brake shop i took it too said that the drivers rear caliper seized up and that they could replace it. i said how much, and they said no charge. they will call gm customer care with the details and have the parts and labour charged back to gm. it was authorized and i got my brakes fixed....no charge. saved me a trip to the dealer....i really don't like taking my car to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

i was not aware you could get your car fixed under warranty even if it was not at a dealership. i guess you can call around and see if the shop you want to take it to is authorized to do warranty work. for you, you already have done your homework and found an authorized non dealership shop....

sooooo, my experience worked out and yours should as well

i did not have to fill out any paper work and send it to gm...all i did was authorize the work to be done on my car by the shop and left with a receipt of the work done by the shop. just like a dealership.
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Mustang Killa

The shop I am planning on using I have gone to for years for my 02 WS6. They specialize in F-bodies. So I have a really good relationship with them and trust them more than a dealership hands down.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I would be curious as to the shops relationship with GM. I'm all for having a mechanic you trust, but I'm not sure how they rebill GM for doing warranty repairs. For starters that would be eating into business of your selling dealer and they would have a good gripe with GM if they were athorizing someone else to do the repairs.

A good deal if you can get it................just not sure how it would work.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
Brakes are a safety issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cam View Post
had problems a couple of years ago with my brakes on my gm car. car was still under warranty but thought brakes were not covered...you know consumables.
This may have been because brakes are a safety issue and the problem was discovered there. I've worked with shops in the past and they always said to take it to the dealer for warranty work. Maybe they didn't want to mess with the paperwork.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
I have never heard of an indapendent shop being authorized to do factory warranty work Highly unlikely and why would they warranty doesnt pay crap most technicians leave manufactuers shops becouse they usualy loose money doing warranty work.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ MSCL View Post
Are they a Chevy authorized repair shop? If not, you are taking a big risk, I don't see how they could do authorized repairs if they are warranty related. Are you going to pay out of pocket for their work? If they aren't affiliated with Chevy and not specifically certified, I would think twice about this. If you decide to go with them, you are opening yourself up for problems related to future warranty work on big stuff.
I absolutely agree.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Mustang Killa

I had warranty work done on my ws6..never had any problems. They told me it was a hassle collecting but they were still
more than happy to do the work.