Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #7967
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
hey number 3. should I keep my hopes up or bite the bullet on a 2SS convertible with hurst shifter RS package. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #7968
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Hey all. long time no talk right? Well I've been around. just keeping an eye on things. life in the states is very busy. Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. and let you all know I'll be picking up a convertible probably in the next couple months. once I get rid of a diesel loving wallet loving 2500hd. losing sight and hope for a z28.
Hope all is going well for ya!

My faith is fading as well for a 5th Gen Z/28..... But I will keep hoping!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #7969
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Hey all. long time no talk right? Well I've been around. just keeping an eye on things. life in the states is very busy. Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. and let you all know I'll be picking up a convertible probably in the next couple months. once I get rid of a diesel loving wallet loving 2500hd. losing sight and hope for a z28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

:( Et tu Shno?

Keep the faith. Some guy we know has been saying that since the final fourth-generation Camaro was built on 27th August 2002.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #7970
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

:( Et tu Shno?

Keep the faith. Some guy we know has been saying that since the final fourth-generation Camaro was built on 27th August 2002.

As much as I would love for there to be a 5th Gen Z/28 we seem to be running out of time..... Platform change is not really that far away.

Just my gut feeling but I hope I am wrong!

Last edited by ShnOmac; 02-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #7971
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
I was hoping the 1LE concept was a hint that a 5th Gen Z28 was on the way; but, I dunno.

I would really like a slick-handling 5th Gen without the ZL1 price tag.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #7972
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
hey number 3. should I keep my hopes up or bite the bullet on a 2SS convertible with hurst shifter RS package. . .
There is always hope. Heck a rag tag team of rebels blew up a death star.

Even though I am no longer with GM, I am still honor bound to not discuss future products. Fen was the first to ask.....................which doesn't surprise me. He is in tune with all the scuttle butt from the people at and around GM programs that for some reason can't keep their mouths shut.

Heck, one of my dearest friends worked on the new GT500 engine at Ford and didn't tell me about it until after they made the 650 public knowledge. Not a peep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

Hope springs eternal and pitchers and catchers arrive soon for spring training which means golf season is just around the corner. And I am hopeful for an early Spring..................or I am at least hoping for a vacation somewhere warm. See, hope is a good thing. And everyone here should be getting their ZL1s this spring. Their see how I turned your hope into a discussion on Spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
I was hoping the 1LE concept was a hint that a 5th Gen Z28 was on the way; but, I dunno.

There have been a lot of dicussions on that very topic just around the corner from this one. You are not alone for sure.

But those threads were around needing a Camaro that could spank the Boss. I postulated that the ZL1 might just do that. Well now that the ZL1 does in fact best the Boss around the race track, those discussions have turned to a lower cost car that can manage the same feat. And that was my question - would you accept a car that cost less money BUT also didn't perform as well as the ZL1 on the track? A tweener between the SS and ZL1 in cost AND performance. And what does this discussion become if the GT500 is a track star and beats a ZL1? Just asking.

Last edited by Number 3; 02-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #7973
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So Joe goes and starts a thread about trolling in the ZL1 threads and good manners to boot and it ends up being trolled. LOL
....LOL Number 3..., there are two phrases that come to mind in relation to that......
"no good deed goes unpunished" and "the best layed plans of mice and men often go assunder"..... . It's the thought that counts though...and Joe does a good clean up job when it's needed. Now, I have been away since Friday and have not read any posts....<cringe>, I will take a gander over in the CRaYZL1 side and see what mischief and mayhem is in progress....
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #7974
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
1) But those threads were around needing a Camaro that could spank the Boss. I postulated that the ZL1 might just do that. Well now that the ZL1 does in fact best the Boss around the race track, those discussions have turned to a lower cost car that can manage the same feat.

2) And that was my question - would you accept a car that cost less money BUT also didn't perform as well as the ZL1 on the track? A tweener between the SS and ZL1 in cost AND performance.

3) And what does this discussion become if the GT500 is a track star and beats a ZL1? Just asking.
Good SuperBowl Sunday to y'all! Anyone 'spectin' a GIANT upset, again?

Ask away, my good man...far be it for US, here, to be shy about sharing our thoughts on "Product Planning"...

1) There's a heck of a performance AND price gap between the SS and the ZL1...

2) Yes...there's room in the HouZe for something that is BOSS-able at a BOSS price...EITHER BOSS price...or, better yet, BOTH price points (NOW who's being "hopeful"?!).

Now let me play devil's advocate: will a 1SS/LS3 with the ZL1 driveline and 3.73s be a viable performer against a Base BOSS? And will the "press" compare them as such, OR (more likely!) will they toss in the BOSS LS as the competition, now that the ZL1 has annihilated it?

Whatever the Camaro "births" as a BOSS-able version better be at least a MATCH to the LS...imho...and if it ISN'T a worthy version against the LS, they better fugetabout using the icarnic badge! 1LE (or something other than nomenclature starting with a ZEE) will be the mandatory default position.

3) IF (caps/italix'd) that happens, I only see that as being a factor of power. I do NOT see the Mustang chassis as being made "superior" to the Camaro, other than in Curb Weight (which it already enjoys). Soooo...how do you make up some of that p2w difference? "Scotty" has the answer..."more POWER, Captain!"

LS9 comes to mind...mid-$60s, and a HELL of a send-off to say, "Sayonara Gen-5!!!"
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #7975
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
A few of my thoughts, I agree there is a HUGE price gap between the 2SS and ZL1, I think you could slot a nice version between them. A 1LE with essentially the same LS3 as the 2SS? As I said before, I don't see that as being a big enough distinction, therefore no real need for a 1LE model, just make it a "track pack" or suspension option for the 1SS/2SS and call it a day. What I think needs to be slotted between the 2SS and ZL1 is a Z/28 model with more than adequate power (read LS7) and an awesome suspension, it should fall in the price range right between the 2SS/ZL1 and be an excellent Boss302 competitor. Now the forum at large can tell me why my thoughts are wrong or impossible, I'm sure many others can come up with their own excellent versions/ideas as well.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #7976
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post

Exactly!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #7977
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
A few of my thoughts, I agree there is a HUGE price gap between the 2SS and ZL1, I think you could slot a nice version between them. A 1LE with essentially the same LS3 as the 2SS? As I said before, I don't see that as being a big enough distinction, therefore no real need for a 1LE model, just make it a "track pack" or suspension option for the 1SS/2SS and call it a day. What I think needs to be slotted between the 2SS and ZL1 is a Z/28 model with more than adequate power (read LS7) and an awesome suspension, it should fall in the price range right between the 2SS/ZL1 and be an excellent Boss302 competitor. Now the forum at large can tell me why my thoughts are wrong or impossible, I'm sure many others can come up with their own excellent versions/ideas as well.
Clyde
Exactly!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #7978
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Seems our Barry Meguiar-inspired "passion" is perhaps overly infesting the mellow HouZe on this Superest of Sundays...

Enjoy the Game!

Number 3, we respond to your words/insights/queries as a sign of total respect. We truly hope GM has their "eye on the prize"...at all times, and in all circumstances...with regard our favored "pal"...

Glad Chi-Town is feeling like a more welcoming environment...
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #7979
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

From the morgue...to the mountaintop...that was a GIANT climb...
Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #7980
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Right now, I see the ZL1 as an exceptional car that combines GT comfort with track-star handling and supercar power. As far as whether there's room in the lineup for a a(nother) car that can best the Boss 302 at a lower price-point, I think there most certainly is.

I don't believe a purpose-built Camaro track-star would require LSA+ levels of power to compete with the Boss 302; it just needs to be purpose-built. Many forum members have already expressed a desire for a more stripped-down Camaro. Now that the ZL1 is out; perhaps GM can revisit the idea. Even if it didn't trounce the Boss 302, if it could pull similar numbers, I think it would be embraced by the Camaro community.

If the 2013 GT500 turns out to be a track and strip monster, I don't think that takes away from the idea. It would put a bit of a damper on some great Camaro trims, though. Based on nothing but my gut, I don't think they'll be able to control the horses coming out of that powerplant and maintain the current price-point (unless their traction control comes down like a hammer).

How 'bout them Giants? I can't believe that Skyrim video accurately predicted the outcome......

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014