Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Angry Help with Painted Stripes

I recently struck a truck tire tread that was laying in the road. It tore the driver's side corner of the spoiler and flipped up and put a dent where the fender and front panel meet. Something flipped up and tore my vinyl stripe putting a couple of deep scratches in the hood. I went to a reputable shop and was told that it would be cheaper to replace the fascia and that the entire front end of the vehicle except will have to be repainted.

This might be a blessing in disguise. The front spoiler was chipping already and I really want painted stripes. So I am planning on having stripes painted on. I have seen Camaros that used different colors for the stripes and am thinking of going this route. I really like how clean these stripes look.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97040

First my camaro is Red Jewel tintcoat. I currently have black high gloss rally stripes. I intend to stay with the stock size stripes. I prefer dark color stripes. No Dr Pepper can, thanks. Paint shop suggested a black with some of the same metal flake found in the RJT. I am also considering 2 different grays. Cyber gray metallic or a darker gunmetal metallic color. Thought is darker center with lighter pin stripe to accent the stripe or vice versa. Any thoughts on color combos? I'm going for a subtle and clean finish.

If anyone has pictures of painted stripes I would appreciate it. I remember seeing an IOM with pearl stripes but haven't been able to find it. Too many hours looking through old threads. Thanks for the help.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
usmcjlp

No suggestions?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I would go with gunmetal metallic color. It would be different!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
usmcjlp

I was thinking of that, gun metal metallic center stripe with either black or cyber gray outer pinstripe. Black is a safe color. Trim is all black and tinted windows. I am going to debadge the car and install the heritage grill as well. I intend to put a wheel like this on in the future.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96452
Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I went with CGM on my painted stripes, really not actually CGM, ut the painter picked out a "House of Colors" Metallic grey and it looks great, as soon as I get it out of the shop I can post some pics., but he grey really looks good on RJT
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
On our CGM Gary shot a mixture of blue and silver metalflakes (pearlescent)over gloss black that picked up the blue in the CGM and silver gives some sparkle. We did "Dr. Pepperize" ours by outlining in red, but I think it really looks good, I'll bump my build thread in this section to make it easier to find if you want to take a look. I'd shoot a light metal flake (probably silver) over the gloss back. Good luck.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
usmcjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
I went with CGM on my painted stripes, really not actually CGM, ut the painter picked out a "House of Colors" Metallic grey and it looks great, as soon as I get it out of the shop I can post some pics., but he grey really looks good on RJT
That would be great! I am horrible at picturing things in my head. My painter is saying that painted CGM or Gunmetal with extra metallic flake will pop a lot more than vinyl.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
usmcjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
On our CGM Gary shot a mixture of blue and silver metalflakes (pearlescent)over gloss black that picked up the blue in the CGM and silver gives some sparkle. We did "Dr. Pepperize" ours by outlining in red, but I think it really looks good, I'll bump my build thread in this section to make it easier to find if you want to take a look. I'd shoot a light metal flake (probably silver) over the gloss back. Good luck.
Great looking stripes. The contrast in colors flows very well. It gives some visual interest without being over done. It is custom done right.

When I referred to Dr. Pepper, I meant the RJT on white or light silver which to me looks like the color combo from a soda can.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
What about matt black?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Great looking stripes. The contrast in colors flows very well. It gives some visual interest without being over done. It is custom done right.

When I referred to Dr. Pepper, I meant the RJT on white or light silver which to me looks like the color combo from a soda can.
No offense taken at all about the Dr. Pepper thing, I think that is a good description with multiple colors, outlining, etc. Gary's Customz did ours and we did look at a spray out card before we proceeded, we stood outside in the sun a few times trying to decide which would look best. Painted and custom is the way to go whether mild or wild, you'll stand out.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
I like Dr Pepper. I've seen RJT cars with every color stripe in person, and the ones with white stripes look the most sporty and interesting. But, if you want dark I'd recommend the new metallic black that Dodge is using on their new fullsize trucks. Looks very nice up close, it isn't super metallic. Very subtle metallic black. Stop by a Dodge dealership and check it out in person.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
usmcjlp

Tony,

Figures, the one combination I eliminate is the one you like.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
They extra metallic they put in mine is awesome, not like boat metallic but its a bit more than the RJT.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
usmcjlp

That sounds like what my paint shop is recommending. Please post pics.