Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #29
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Alright, so I've just now went through and gotten to your response.

Wow.

If you could make a kit out of that and find someone to do solid tunes... that would be a stupid awesome bang-for-buck forced induction set up given it produces nice numbers.
I guess I should mention that the Audi supercharger I bought is used. Most of them on ebay range from 20-40k miles of use. I bet if you were to buy one new, it would be between 3500, and 4k. I wouldn't want to base any kind of kit around used parts, but that's the only way to really get it to an economical price. Unless a guy had a real good friend that was an Audi parts guy, I don't think there would be any room to buy these complete, and new and still make any money.

If I can get it to work and work well, and if people were interested, I could see selling the intake manifold, and belt drive related stuff and let the end user source their own Audi TVS1320 unit off ebay or a local JY.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #30
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I guess I should mention that the Audi supercharger I bought is used. Most of them on ebay range from 20-40k miles of use. I bet if you were to buy one new, it would be between 3500, and 4k. I wouldn't want to base any kind of kit around used parts, but that's the only way to really get it to an economical price. Unless a guy had a real good friend that was an Audi parts guy, I don't think there would be any room to buy these complete, and new and still make any money.

If I can get it to work and work well, and if people were interested, I could see selling the intake manifold, and belt drive related stuff and let the end user source their own Audi TVS1320 unit off ebay or a local JY.
That's more along the lines of what I meant, yes. Tuning, I think, is the only thing that really has to be figured out beyond the manifold and drive system that you'd have to fab. I mean 20-40k miles isn't that bad, and you know where to go to get it fixed if anything goes wrong... IF anything goes wrong.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #31
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Quote:

Well after a couple beers I have come up with the below.

I'm sure you have already thought of this but can you imagine your market with this once people start buying the 2015 Colorados!!!!
I would kill for a supercharged Colorado/Canyon.

Anyways after looking at some diagrams I think the only way you would get that TVS 1900 under the hood of a Camaro would be to cut the intake runners flush with the heads to create enough room in the valley for a custom intercooler/manifold for it to mount to.

With regards to supercharger size of that Audi unit you bought, it supplies the 3.0L V6 S4 /S5 that has a 10.5 compression ratio with 11.6 psi. That's with a crank/supercharger ratio of 1:2.5 . I tried to find the diameter of the LFX engine crank pulley but couldn't find it. Maybe someone could?
What I was getting at is if you bolted up your Audi unit to the LFX right now it, with that same drive ratio, would have less boost due to a larger engine and I'm guessing the Audi engine has low flow exhaust manifolds. I would bet the LFX downpipes would flow better than that which would also make less boost. I'm not saying less boost is bad but actually good. With the higher compression of the LFX and limited tuning, 5-8 psi would probably be a beast.

I haven't figured the CFMs yet for the 7000rpm redline of the LFX yet but here is the efficiency map of the 1320. The Audi redlines at 6000, which means the 1320 is already spinning at 13,500 rpm

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_127898.gif

This link may also help.
http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/925803_3.0V6TFSIengine.pdf

I wish I knew how to post photos for those links.

Any feedback or corrections are welcome. I really want this to happen!!!
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #32
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Well this is me messing around on the Eaton supercharger calculator. I just guessed at the intercooler efficiency and pressure drop for that 1320 on a LFX. Pretty rough since these are way different engines, computers, exhaust, and everything else. I think if this was tuned right 500hp and 450tq easy, and safe!
Safe is what I want the most haha. I want this to work!
Attached Images

Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
aja342

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymaro View Post
Well after a couple beers I have come up with the below.

I'm sure you have already thought of this but can you imagine your market with this once people start buying the 2015 Colorados!!!!
I would kill for a supercharged Colorado/Canyon.

Anyways after looking at some diagrams I think the only way you would get that TVS 1900 under the hood of a Camaro would be to cut the intake runners flush with the heads to create enough room in the valley for a custom intercooler/manifold for it to mount to.
I was thinking the same thing about the cast in intake runners. It still would not work well because of how the runners enter the head. Trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole is fun!
aja342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #34
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Cymaro, Jason had a post that listed pullies for the LFX. Also, the LFX has a CR of 11.5, if it changes anything.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #35
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Cymaro, Jason had a post that listed pullies for the LFX. Also, the LFX has a CR of 11.5, if it changes anything.

Those are all custom pulley sizes, I don't think that's what he's looking for. I THINK the crank pulley is 6" on the lfx.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #36
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Wow...that Audi unit looks like it could have some real potential. ...and that's about all I can say on this subject b/c I'm hardly an FI expert lol.

Good stuff. Can't wait to see how this one fleshes out. I have a feeling I'm going to wish even more now that I had an LFX in my car rather than an LLT.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #37
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Wow...that Audi unit looks like it could have some real potential. ...and that's about all I can say on this subject b/c I'm hardly an FI expert lol.

Good stuff. Can't wait to see how this one fleshes out. I have a feeling I'm going to wish even more now that I had an LFX in my car rather than an LLT.
The intake that I end up making for the audi unit would also fit an LLT. The belt drive stuff should all end up being the same, or very similar also.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #38
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
If it works well with tuning this could be amazing
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #39
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
The intake that I end up making for the audi unit would also fit an LLT. The belt drive stuff should all end up being the same, or very similar also.
I thought so, but my other problem is proper tuning. Not sure if HP has got their stuff straight for the LLT yet or not and I'm not even sure where I'd go to get a tune. 2 to 3 hour drives no matter where I go I'd guess.

Appreciate the response.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #40
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
*lurking*
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #41
aja342

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS M6
The more info I look up on the Audi TVS the more I am likeing the chances of this working. The only major issue I am seeing (from pictures at least) is attaching it so it has a good seal to the fabricated runners. The Supercharger only has thee bolts per side that are used to hold it down and they are only on the outboard sides.

Would love to know how Audi keeps it sealed.
aja342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #42
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
It's German, they tighten it "gutintight" to keep it from leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja342 View Post
The more info I look up on the Audi TVS the more I am likeing the chances of this working. The only major issue I am seeing (from pictures at least) is attaching it so it has a good seal to the fabricated runners. The Supercharger only has thee bolts per side that are used to hold it down and they are only on the outboard sides.

Would love to know how Audi keeps it sealed.