Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Which pulley to change?

So, would expect that you can get the same end result of additional boost from the SC by changing out either the crank pulley or the SC drive pulley. Since the SC drive pulley seems to be much easier to access, is there a specific benefit to changing the crank pulley? If I go with the 2.50" SC drive pulley, am I doing something that limits my options with future mods? Thanks for the help.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I’m wondering the same thing… should I go with the crank pulley no tune option, or go with a tune and supercharger pulley upgrade… or do a combination of both… I don’t want an insane increase in HP, but would like to get to 600 rwhp which will be the safest in the long run, because 15 years from now I still want to be driving my ZL1…

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by avcbm View Post
I’m wondering the same thing… should I go with the crank pulley no tune option, or go with a tune and supercharger pulley upgrade… or do a combination of both… I don’t want an insane increase in HP, but would like to get to 600 rwhp which will be the safest in the long run, because 15 years from now I still want to be driving my ZL1…
I'm with you. I'm planning on keep the car but would really like to put a bit more HP to back up the car. Not that I'll ever use it all but just knowing it's there.....
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So, would expect that you can get the same end result of additional boost from the SC by changing out either the crank pulley or the SC drive pulley. Since the SC drive pulley seems to be much easier to access, is there a specific benefit to changing the crank pulley? If I go with the 2.50" SC drive pulley, am I doing something that limits my options with future mods? Thanks for the help.
It's more difficult to change the drive pulley and hub on the ZL1 due to the challenge of removing the supercharger or lifting the front to get the snout off. It is the cheaper option in cost. The crank pulley is easier to change for the average mechanic and once swapped offers more options for the amount of overdrive. It costs more than twice as much in parts. There are some posts that using one or two sizes up from stock doesn't require a tune. This is also an advantage for many owners, since the drive pulley requires a tune.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
It's more difficult to change the drive pulley and hub on the ZL1 due to the challenge of removing the supercharger or lifting the front to get the snout off.
The pulley coming off of the SC seems to be easily accessible. It there something I am missing? Can you point me to any DIY pic's that show why the SC itself needs to be loosened? Also, to get to the crank pulley, I would have to drop the pan under the car, correct? I am sorry to ask stupid questions but this is going to be a weekend project for me and I would like to know exactly what I am getting in to depending on which pulley I decide to swap.

Another question, at what boost would it be recommended to put a larger heat exchanger on the car?

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
SlugWound

Drives: Chevrolet's
Quote:
The pulley coming off of the SC seems to be easily accessible. It there something I am missing? Can you point me to any DIY pic's that show why the SC itself needs to be loosened? Also, to get to the crank pulley, I would have to drop the pan under the car, correct? I am sorry to ask stupid questions but this is going to be a weekend project for me and I would like to know exactly what I am getting in to depending on which pulley I decide to swap.

Another question, at what boost would it be recommended to put a larger heat exchanger on the car?

I have heard its much easier to change the crank pully as mentioned above, if you do a search there are alot of threads that discuss this specific topic.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
BonestockZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
I am leaning more towards the SC pulley swap instead of the crank balancer and pulley swap. I had my ZL1 on the dyno this morning and I asked the the guy which swap would be better. He strongly recommended the SC pulley. Mainly because the crank pulley would make the alternator run slower and the water pump. With the heat soak these cars have he said it would not be a good idea to turn the water pump any slower.

I would also like to know about a DIY SC pulley swap as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
The stock pulley is held on by the nuclear force of the center of the galaxy.. they are a BITCH to get off.. need the right puller..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
The stock pulley is held on by the nuclear force of the center of the galaxy.. they are a BITCH to get off.. need the right puller..
Okay, so that must be the answer. The SC pulley is pressed on I take it. Yeah, that changes things for sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Bcruse84

Drives: 2013 red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonestockZL1 View Post
I am leaning more towards the SC pulley swap instead of the crank balancer and pulley swap. I had my ZL1 on the dyno this morning and I asked the the guy which swap would be better. He strongly recommended the SC pulley. Mainly because the crank pulley would make the alternator run slower and the water pump. With the heat soak these cars have he said it would not be a good idea to turn the water pump any slower.

The crank pulley I got didn't under drive the accessories. It only allows you to change the supercharger drive pulley and keeps everything else to stock specs. The advantage to changing the crank pulley is its much lighter than stock and easy to change. Took me about 2hrs the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Bcruse84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
BonestockZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcruse84 View Post
The crank pulley I got didn't under drive the accessories. It only allows you to change the supercharger drive pulley and keeps everything else to stock specs. The advantage to changing the crank pulley is its much lighter than stock and easy to change. Took me about 2hrs the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Which pulley did you go with?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonestockZL1 View Post

The only pulley that changes size is the one driving the supercharger. All the other pulleys remain the same size. A pulley swap how-to has been posted, do a search.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

The car could use a bigger HX right from factory and there'd be no problem with heat soak. I've got cooler logic's HX, it's about 3 times factory. Also installed roto fabs reservoir for more intercooler coolant capacity
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Nemisis

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray Metallic-M6
Another benefit to the crank pulley is you can easily swap out the front of the crank pulley and go to a different size, 6 Allen head bolts and you're done.
Nemisis is offline   Reply With Quote