Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #365
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
what did they do on the SST build? that one you could almost not tell there was a cage in it?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #366
nl12

Drives: Unicycle
If race car, then full cage.
If fixed back seats, then full cage.
If you will always be driving with a helmet, then full cage.
If streetcar/dual purpose car, I would hesitate to put any cage bar where your head or body has even a remote possibility of touching in an accident. Padding on a cage is meant to protect the helmet not your head.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #367
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
ridetech makes a tiger cage that is really good looking but you pay for it. might be the way i end up going
Old 12-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #368
Synner

Drives: cars
For what its worth here's my 2 cents.
How intensive was your mockup and was your helmet resting DIRECTLY on the bar? If you just set the seat in and moved around you're not necessarily in the bolt-in position. Also, did you consider the very restricted movement of the 6-point harness you're installing? You'd be perfectly centered and hardly able to move when cinched down.

You have more room than many so if you considered all the other items above then I'd say its a factor of the aftermarket seat and bracket setup which others don't have. I would evaluate the ability to offset the seat or frame along with the necessary strengthening of any seat mounting points. I agree removal of the frame is a bad idea, autocross is already painful enough in these cars because I can't really see the right front wheel properly unless I'm crunched against the roof.

I don't see much reason/benefit to redoing the bar, I would evaluate the harness and seat setup and where exactly it places you in the vehicle.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #369
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin the BlueSS View Post
what did they do on the SST build? that one you could almost not tell there was a cage in it?
Before starting on our cage, we went to NRE and took a bunch of pictures, videos and took measurements of another cage they had finished. The cage we saw at NRE was even tighter than speedsters. But the car had no seats so we never determined the amount of head clearance. Our down bar seems to be as tighter and much tighter than the Copo but we can't see how this would be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
ridetech makes a tiger cage that is really good looking but you pay for it. might be the way i end up going
Ridetech makes great cages but none for us yet. The other things is we wanted a welded in cage. Ridetech is a bolt on deal. Dollars wise, we are way over the cost of a Ridetech as this custom one off stuff gets really pricey in a hurry. Unfortunately, we might have to scrap the hole thing.

We did speak with Craig at Extreme. He suggested scraping the factory liner and build further into the roof. Than we can just do a custom liner. That might be the route to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
For what its worth here's my 2 cents.
How intensive was your mockup and was your helmet resting DIRECTLY on the bar? If you just set the seat in and moved around you're not necessarily in the bolt-in position. Also, did you consider the very restricted movement of the 6-point harness you're installing? You'd be perfectly centered and hardly able to move when cinched down.

You have more room than many so if you considered all the other items above then I'd say its a factor of the aftermarket seat and bracket setup which others don't have. I would evaluate the ability to offset the seat or frame along with the necessary strengthening of any seat mounting points. I agree removal of the frame is a bad idea, autocross is already painful enough in these cars because I can't really see the right front wheel properly unless I'm crunched against the roof.

I don't see much reason/benefit to redoing the bar, I would evaluate the harness and seat setup and where exactly it places you in the vehicle.
We will put the dash in when we get back to see where we are as far as visibility. As we have it now, with the helmet on you can not have your head straight, you have to tilt your head slightly to comply with the cage. No bueno. Even if we lower the seats, it'll only take someone with a longer torso to have the same problem as we are currently having. If your 5'10+, forget about it

We were pressed for time when we realized the clearance issue so we didn't get to think about a solution as much as we wanted, but we'll be back Monday and then we'll reevaluate our options.

Last edited by Moreno1; 12-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #370
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Is a smaller diameter tubing with thicker walls allowed by the sanctioning body? Stuff like this is a game of inches, or fractions thereof. Reduce 1/4" here 1/2" somewhere else 1/8" another place and you may get where you need to be.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #371
Moreno1

Well it looks like we will be cutting out the entire cage and starting from scratch! This time we are going to tie it as close to the car as possible and we are ditching the factory headliner and making a custom one off. So basically, you won't see the cage when we are done.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #372
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Well it looks like we will be cutting out the entire cage and starting from scratch! This time we are going to tie it as close to the car as possible and we are ditching the factory headliner and making a custom one off. So basically, you won't see the cage when we are done.
Can't wait to see it. Y'all have that Midas touch!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #373
RayTheRat
Goofy old fart,salt racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS: making progress!
Quote:
When we get back from PRI on Monday, we are going to reinstall the dash and position the seat on the floor and see how we are feeling about that route.
Hope ya got a chance to visit with Donny Cummins at Racepak. He's a good dude and used a coupla photos of mine in his display banner.

I talked with Marlo Treit today (head dude: www.target550.com) and tells me that they're changing the color & appearance from royal blue to a carbon fiber black wrap. Since he's in Oregon and I'm in Utah, I can't run right over and get some photos of the process. But a photo shoot is scheduled with the new appearance. You can see some of the blue wrap here:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/219...ing/index.html

Here's a shot of the short-lived blue wrap that was only seen at the Portland Swap Meet, one of the biggest meets in the country:

It's gonna look a hell of a lot different with a carbon fiber finish. See ya at GNRS.

RtR
Old 01-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #374
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
I forgot are these 19x11s or 10.5".
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #375
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I forgot are these 19x11s or 10.5".
19x11's front and rear
Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #376

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Moreno boys, kudos on all the work...looks fantastic...

I'm waiting on some Pfadt Coilovers....I have a set of Forgestar F-14s 19x10 with a 25mm off-set for a square set-up...Tires are the Toyo R888s 295/30....

How did you guys make out with the clearance on the front coilovers? Did the spring perch need to be above the tire?....If so, what ride height did you end up with?

Again, good luck with everything...

Tom...
Old 01-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #377
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Moreno boys, kudos on all the work...looks fantastic...

I'm waiting on some Pfadt Coilovers....I have a set of Forgestar F-14s 19x10 with a 25mm off-set for a square set-up...Tires are the Toyo R888s 295/30....

How did you guys make out with the clearance on the front coilovers? Did the spring perch need to be above the tire?....If so, what ride height did you end up with?

Again, good luck with everything...

Tom...
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the props!

Yes, we moved the spring perch up and have to replace the pfadt 10" springs for 8" to make room for the 305's. With camber set, we have about 3/16ths between the threads and the tire IIRC. Not sure on ride height as we havent gotten everything in the car yet.

295's on 10" should make for a killer setup! Cant wait to see it.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #378
Moreno1

Quick update: Justin and I were working on the brake lines today among other things.

We hid the lines in the wheel well and will be routing them into the interior cabin as the ABS block is now mounted behind the dash on the firewall over the trans hump.

Name:  Brake lines 1.jpg
Views: 2972
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  Brake lines 2.jpg
Views: 2863
Size:  120.9 KB

Of course the brackets will be powder coated and the lines brushed!

Closed Thread