Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #57
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
The problem could be with some of the TR6060s. Tremec had a tough time keeping up with the demand given how many vehicles are using this tranny ('07 GT500, '08 Corvette, Viper, Challenger, G8, CTS-V). Owners in various forums have complained about grinding or notchy shifs in 1-2 and 2-3. There are enough people "complaining" that it is unlikely that all of them are "bad" with manual transmissions. There could be any number of reasons why there are reported issues with this tranny. It could be that "bugs" have begun rearing their ugly little heads with the new synchronizer system used in this tranny. Might be due to use of "cost-effective" clutches used by GM and others (not sure what vehicle is using a single vs. dual disc clutch). Others have had their issues resolved when one or more synchros were replaced.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #58
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
New cars always have some glitches that need repairing. When I bought my '96 Z28 new, it was in the shop the next morning for electrical problems. The first couple months of ownership I was driving rental cars more than my new Z28.
If I ever bought a car and ended up driving loaners and rental cars more than the car I bought in the first couple months of ownership, guess what? I would never buy that kind of car again!

Back in the '80s and '90s, stories like yours were somewhat common, but times have changed. Automakers can't afford quality lapses like that anymore, because consumers will simply not stand for it.

New cars shouldn't have glitches, even first year models. My '05 Mustang is over 4 years old with 41K miles, and still has not been back to the dealer for a single problem. Not even a minor issue.

Don't settle for less than a perfect car!!
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #59
sir5er

Drives: 2SS 2010 Camaro, 2007 Acura TL
UPDATE ON MY TRANSMISSION NOISE

I took my car in this morning and drove it for the shop foreman. He heard the noise loud and clear. I left it with them and they called me back saying that they could find nothing wrong with it but they hear the noise which doesn't sound good. They said they called GM and they told them that was a characteristic of the camaro. That is TOTAL BULLCRAP! It's funny how my car seems to be getting more character by the day. The worst part of it all is that when I backed into my drive way today after picking up my car it made the most awful clanking noise coming from the transmission. Oh, just to let you know I was wrong in the description of the noise in my original post. It's not grinding, it's more like a chatter or knocking. I'm not good at describing noises. This is how my husband describes it. Daniels Chevy Land told me that if my car gets worse to bring it in and they would have a gm rep or someone come and drive it. I don't understand why it's so difficult for them to just fix it no matter what. It's not normal and even the shop foreman said it. Another thing too, my ground effects package came in today and they were going to install it but they called me after they opened it because it was a charcoal color. What I saw online was black. That's why I ordered it. Since they weren't helpful I went to a different Chevy dealer and they were wonderful. They found that only the front valance is available in black. Seems like I could just have the kit painted but Daniels said that it says paint to match is not reccommended. They said there was nothing they could do about it and didn't even check into it for me. They said I had to contact gm to try and get my money back. There is no actual color name listed on the kits so one can only go by the pictures. The pictures are very misleading. I also ordered a black stripe which will not go with a gray kit. That will really offset the look of it. If there was a stipe the same color as the kit then I could consider just gettting a charcoal stripe to go with it but that color appears to be much lighter than the kit. But again, pictures are very misleading. So now what do I do? I really want the ground effects kit and stripe but I want them to match. If the kit could be painted then great. Problem solved. But what about my transmission? Should I just leave it as is until it completely breaks down or wears out or whatever is going to happen? I guarantee something is going to happen. Not one person I know thats heard my car disagrees with me. I am very stressed about this because I LOVE my car and to be honest, I can deal with any problems that car can give me because I would never give her up. She's worth every problem there is but it's just so unfair. When it rains, it pours. Please HELP! Tell me what to do
sir5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #60
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir5er View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I know I have to get it in to them but this is not off to a good start. Does anyone think I will be able to take it to a dealer other than the one I bought the car from? This dealer isn't the greatest in the world. They suck actually. I don't think they take women very seriously.
You can take the car to any authorized warranty repair garage.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #61
sir5er

Sorry if I offended anyone by that remark but I was refering to the post from nards444. I wasn't being racial I was suggesting that he would say something like that since he obviously thinks because of my gender I may not know how to drive it. Why else would someone make that comment?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #62
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaHz View Post
How can you hurt the trany? You have to go to 4th gear or not at all. Or you can wait then put it into 2nd. How can you hurt the transmission? You cannot force it into 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
You can force it into 2nd. The manual clearly states that if you force it you will do damage. That's what I'm asking the Original Poster. Is she forcing it into 2nd gear when the skip shift light comes on. She stated that "she didn't get it" or "understand" it. So that's why I'm asking.
Hey guys, maybe she's got a bionic arm. A woman that cares for her car as much as she does isn't going to hurt this tranny. You've really got to abuse it for a problem like this unless it is just plain defective or wasn't put together right. That does happen.

Quote:
Obviously you don't hate to say it because if you did, you wouldn't. Please give me a reason for that comment? Since I'm not black, it must be because my gender thinks with the brain in their head instead of where men like you have a brain? Hmmmm?
Thank you, besides that he used that lemon word.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #63
sir5er

Thank you very much CWIweldace
Old 05-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #64
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
Try the other dealership service dept that helped you with the
gfx. They may be more helpful. Also, it doesnt have to be a chevy dealership...any GM dealership will do. Do some homework, I bet there are some decent cadillac, buick, or GMC dealers in your area who may be able to help you.

Whatever you do, don't let it get worse.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #65
sir5er

I didn't know that it didn't have to be a chevy dealership. We have an excellent cadillac dealer in town. I may check them out if I can't get any results from the other dealer I went to today.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #66
Bmble_B

Drives: 2SS Rally Yellow LS3/Maggie
Quote:
I took my car in this morning and drove it for the shop foreman. He heard the noise loud and clear. I left it with them and they called me back saying that they could find nothing wrong with it but they hear the noise which doesn't sound good. They said they called GM and they told them that was a characteristic of the camaro. That is TOTAL BULLCRAP! It's funny how my car seems to be getting more character by the day. The worst part of it all is that when I backed into my drive way today after picking up my car it made the most awful clanking noise coming from the transmission. Oh, just to let you know I was wrong in the description of the noise in my original post. It's not grinding, it's more like a chatter or knocking. I'm not good at describing noises. This is how my husband describes it. Daniels Chevy Land told me that if my car gets worse to bring it in and they would have a gm rep or someone come and drive it. I don't understand why it's so difficult for them to just fix it no matter what. It's not normal and even the shop foreman said it. Another thing too, my ground effects package came in today and they were going to install it but they called me after they opened it because it was a charcoal color. What I saw online was black. That's why I ordered it. Since they weren't helpful I went to a different Chevy dealer and they were wonderful. They found that only the front valance is available in black. Seems like I could just have the kit painted but Daniels said that it says paint to match is not reccommended. They said there was nothing they could do about it and didn't even check into it for me. They said I had to contact gm to try and get my money back. There is no actual color name listed on the kits so one can only go by the pictures. The pictures are very misleading. I also ordered a black stripe which will not go with a gray kit. That will really offset the look of it. If there was a stipe the same color as the kit then I could consider just gettting a charcoal stripe to go with it but that color appears to be much lighter than the kit. But again, pictures are very misleading. So now what do I do? I really want the ground effects kit and stripe but I want them to match. If the kit could be painted then great. Problem solved. But what about my transmission? Should I just leave it as is until it completely breaks down or wears out or whatever is going to happen? I guarantee something is going to happen. Not one person I know thats heard my car disagrees with me. I am very stressed about this because I LOVE my car and to be honest, I can deal with any problems that car can give me because I would never give her up. She's worth every problem there is but it's just so unfair. When it rains, it pours. Please HELP! Tell me what to do
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am the proud owner of a 2SS that someone ordered and couldn't take so I did. I own a repair & gm performance shop and the trans noise descirbed started on mine at about 250 miles along with what I feel is excessive driveline lash and clanking, not normal. This thing was tight and quiet when i picked it up with 11 miles on it. the noise sounds like knocking in 1,2,3 and 4th gears. goes away in 5 & 6th. I believe 5 & 6th gears are on a different shaft in the trans. It sounds to me to be an input shaft and/or main shaft bearing. You can also hear at idle with clutch released. Push in on the clutch, noise gone, trans stops rotating internally. you can feel it in the clutch pedal also, feels like a flat spot on a bearing or a piece of the race is gone, very similar to axle bearing noises with similar defects. The noise also has a hollow sound to it. The noise and the slack appeared together immediatley. i believe there is some sort of assembly problem or poor quality bearing issue. I'm going to drive mine till it dies, it's got a 5yr/100k warranty, why not. but ther is a problem for sure. just wait another 30 days, you'll hear alot more of this one I fear. Good luck and keep us posted!
Bmble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #67
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The Ground Effects package has been noted on here to come as a dark gray plastic. It is paintable, some have done that, but they do not recommend it probably because it has a tendency to chip. This is the reason I personally opted away from that kit. If I was stuck with it, I would put it on and have it painted and make sure you go to a reputable place that does car restoration, not just a collision place that bangs out insurance jobs!!

As for the Tranny, I would go to the other Chevy Dealer, I highly doubt a Cadillac dealer will have the mechanics with ANY Camaro training. See what they say, and demand that a local GM REP come and hear it. I personally would not stop with them until I get resolve. Good Luck and make sure you AND your Husband go to drop it off, unfortunately, women never get treated as serious..........as ridiculous as that my be.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #68
Bull

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/IBM/Beige
Even though it's a different setup, maybe that's why they delayed the manual V6 builds???

2LT/RS, IBM, Maunal
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #69
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Just another suggestion, if you can find a dealer that sells and/or works on a lot of Corvettes they may be able to help you. I'm not sure about the 5th Gen trannies but they may be the same ones that are in some 'vette's so they may have already seen the problem.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #70
Z06Shame

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Relax, first of all. I've owned 3 f-bodies, 94 Z-28, 95 Z-28, 99 SS. I currently own a 2002 Z06. All of them with manual transmission. This is a characteristic of this transmission. When you said you were spoiled by your Acura, I can see why you think there is a problem. The Camaro is a muscle car, not a sewing machine. The idle is not glass smooth, the transmission isn't either. Just enjoy the car, wait a few thousand miles and see what happens after the transmission and engine work themselves in, you'll still have the warranty.
Z06Shame is offline   Reply With Quote