Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #71
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Mkorgan put it best. Although there is no denying the A10's prowess, i haven't put almost 4k miles on my car since November because i was hunting exotics to suffer my wrath all day long. I've done it because the car is just so damn fun to drive, even when you're not flooring it. Paddles can't replicate that. Everyone will buy what they want, but I'm stoked i went the m6 route.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #72
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Here was my logic on an M6 over an auto (with any amount of gears).

An A10 might be faster on a road course. "Might", because I have yet to see any back-to-back, apples-to-apples comparison with the same driver and identical cars. But, I'd say that it probably is 1-2% faster (that's ~1 second on a 90-second course).

However, an M6 is far more fun to drive for all those miles you put on the car every day. And, more fun on a road course, even if it's a tad slower. So, I'd rather have fun for all 48k miles I'll put on my car.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #73
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
I have a few.............

1. I regret that its been raining in the bay area since I got my new ZL1
2. I regret that we had a mud slide on our road that cover the road in several inches of mud that kept me from driving my car.
3. I regret that we have Global Warming, oh wait that didn't work out, we now have "Climate Change" that is preventing my from driving my car. (please refer to item #1)
4. I regret that my new car only has 200 miles on it and I received it just before Christmas.
5. I regret the fact that I have to put another 1300 miles on the car before i can really drive my new car as intended.
5. I regret that if this weather does not clear up soon I may have to put fuel stabilizer in my new car

Well you get the idea. I have to say I am really beginning to get an idea of how you guys that live in the snow country feel.
Yeah, you guys in Nor Cal have really been getting hammered (with rain).

Just to reiterate what has been already said. The M6 simply give a better driving experience. An A10 really wouldn't be a consideration.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #74
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Never.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #75
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
With exotics not even offering manual for years now, I'm happy the Camaro has caught up with a lightning fast super auto. The days of legitimately snubbing people for having autos are over and just convey a dinosaur obsolete perspective (even in young people). People are welcome to enjoy their manual if they enjoy a clutch and stick, they should be happy the option is still available, but no more dumping on what has become an incredible technology in modern vehicles. Paddle shifts can be incredibly fun, but even leaving something like the A10 in fully auto mode doesn't destroy the experience for people embracing modern tech.

The A10 is an incredibly exciting technology and there is no way I'd pass it up. At this point to me if feels like comparing old rotary phones to an iPhone. 'I really like spinning the rotary dial in the circle, it is more engaging, the iPhone doesn't even have buttons, just a screen!'
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #76
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstcause View Post
With exotics not even offering manual for years now, I'm happy the Camaro has caught up with a lightning fast super auto. The days of legitimately snubbing people for having autos are over and just convey a dinosaur obsolete perspective (even in young people). People are welcome to enjoy their manual if they enjoy a clutch and stick, they should be happy the option is still available, but no more dumping on what has become an incredible technology in modern vehicles. Paddle shifts can be incredibly fun, but even leaving something like the A10 in fully auto mode doesn't destroy the experience for people embracing modern tech.

The A10 is an incredibly exciting technology and there is no way I'd pass it up. At this point to me if feels like comparing old rotary phones to an iPhone. 'I really like spinning the rotary dial in the circle, it is more engaging, the iPhone doesn't even have buttons, just a screen!'
If my mom can drive it as fast as I can, it is not for me.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #77
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It looks like the autos are hitting the roads now with rave reviews. I'm seriously thinking about going that route. It may be a while before they hit the dealers in mass quantities though. It may be tough getting the kind of discounts they're having for the manuals.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #78
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
If my mom can drive it as fast as I can, it is not for me.
I heard your Mom was faster.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #79
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Do any of you manual owners have any regrets so far?

I don't track my car, just a daily driver... so I bought an A8 2SS, been driving it happily (never bored) for 1 full year so far! I love the ZL1 front end, only part I wish I had! Plenty enough power (for me) in my SS. Maybe in my late 40s I could afford a A10 ZL1, but for now this is great family car lol well my son is only 4yo & my wife has a 4 door IS250 he has more leg room in her car, ha! Enjoy your cars guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #80
ZL1black
ZL1Black

Drives: 2017 ZL1 1973 Camaro Audi A8L 4.0
I picked up my ZL1 6MT over a week ago. I may track some day; however, right now it is about having fun driving and the 6MT along with 650 HP is beyond my expectations.
ZL1black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #81
1967RS327

Drives: 1967 RS 327 Muncie, 2017 ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Did you see the MotorTrend article? I think the M6 held its own quite well so nope, no regrets what so ever. I mean, if you plan on driving over 180 on a regular basis, get the A10. I do not plan on going over 180 (much) and I really enjoy being part of the performance so I DID buy and WOULD buy the M6 over and over again regardless of what the A10 does. To me, the choice is not which one performs the best because you will rarely experience the difference in performance on a day to day basis. To me, it is what kind of driving experience do you want. Do you want the car shifting for you or do you want to be a part of the equation. Simple.

With all that said, I am thrilled with the performance the A10 is putting down and very happy for those that are getting one and wish them all the best as they enjoy the best Camaro ever made.
Well said
1967RS327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:33 AM   #82
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Well after reading this posts I think I have to chime in. All my prior sport cars where 6 spd. manual shift that were a Joy and VERY ENGAGING cars to drive. '05 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe, '02 Porsche 911 Carrera & '11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package. I used to track my 911 & 5.0 both with modified suspension, at my local PCA track, which I really enjoyed. I also had the privilege to experience driving a Ferrari 430 & a Lamborghini Gallardo at Las Vegas Motor Speedway both had autoshift transmission, and they were a JOY to ride. When I first heard about the 5th gen SS 1LE immediately I went to test drive it, it was love at first ride, even feeling much better than my modified 5.0, then I test drive the 5th.gen ZL1 with the 6 speed std. transmission, it was INCREDIBLE!. I was ready to make the move for a new 5th. gen 1LE or for the one year old used ZL1 which was in great shape with very low mileage, when suddenly my wife started pushing that she hated driving manual shifters with a clutch and asking instead for us to move to an SUV. Dam! I had to instead buy a beautiful, very low mileage 5th. gen ZL1 with all the goodies including the amazing looking Recaros. Yes it had all the power of the SC 580 hp, but to be honest, I really miss driving the engaging 6 speed manual transmission with a clutch. BIG MISTAKE! is not the same feeling driving an automatic with paddle shifts that fells more like driving a simulator or Nintendo game console. My next car FOR SURE will be a 6th. gen ZL1 or a C7 Corvette Grand Sport with the only best option for me: the manual engaging transmission
By the way after experiencing driving my 911 at 165 MPH. I tell you that there is no need to drive at 200 MPH in a A10 transmission, 180 top MPH is sufficient and I bet that most of you, would never experienced that speed without getting handcuffs, there is no Autobahn here and probably not even a free long stretch were you would be able to try it without being in danger or a hazard to others. Relax and just enjoy your beautifull and impressive ZL1s or SS 1LEs.
And for the rear 6th gen seat I might as well save the weight and replace that useless rear seat to make it look like something similar to the Laguna's or M4 GTS that don't have a rear seat and just save some weight by replacing them.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 03-18-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #83
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Really like the M6 and clutch in the gen 6. Had to get back into manual tranny and clutch driving after owning computer controlled autos over the years. Didnt like the auto's occasional hunting for the right gear and the bumps when it shifts up. I can drive the manual with smooth shifts when i want to. Downshifts in the auto dont seem to scrub speed when needed as well either. The auto rev matching feature that accompanies the manual is nice when needed. The M6 can skip gears when shifting if needed without going through the entire set of gears in order. Sure, the auto is a few 10ths faster in the 1/4 mile. That doesnt mean much to me. Most of my time spent behind the wheel is daily/pleasure driving, so the engagement of the M6 makes the drive more interesting for me with the M6, rather than shaving a couple of 10ths off a quarter mile drag race with the automatic. The afm that accompanies the auto would not work for me either. I have concerns about it, maybe because i dont understand it completely. I like the power plant under the hood firing on all 8 all the time, thats why i have it. Cant understand why a V8 needs to act like a 4 cylinder??? Gas mileage vs driving with full power? too big of a trade off for me. Whats happening to/inside the cylinders that are not firing during this part of the program?

Anyway, this time around M6...... direct driver engagement and control of the engine rpms over the computer controlled auto choice.

Lots of 'I' s and 'me' s in this post.... the tranny is obviously a very personal choice for drivers of any car.
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #84
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Didnt read the rest of the thread, but this is one of the best manual transmission cars I've owned and I've owned like 10 of them.