Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Convertible Bass Part III Stealthbox Options

Decided to take a stab at making side mount boxes for the convertible. The side area is a little smaller on the vert compared to the coupe. Not only that but the tricky part is that with the top up, you have quite a bit of room, but when you put the top down, it collapses into the trunk and you have to work with what's left. Even so, I was able to get two models that fit great without any interference with the top when it is folded down into the trunk.

The smaller box is .7 cu.ft. and fits a 10" sub. Super nice little box and sounds great. For those needing more air space, the second box is 1.1 cu.ft. I was able to fit a 10w7 in there with any trouble and it sounds fantastic. Unfortunately we will not be able to fit a 12 on the side as the larger diameter would interfere with the top coming down. We have some other things planned to hopefully fit some 12s, but I think these 10" boxes are going to be a hit becuse they are so easy to install and take up very little space. Anyhow, I took these pics today, take a look and let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Have you guys addressed the issue of the tanneau cover vibrating with the bass? I do have an elaborate system in my car, and the one thing the designer didn't address was the tanneau, particularly the plastic "arms" which just slide under the plastic housings and cause an seriously annoying rattle right behind my head...

Just curious! Boxes look good, btw.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

My tanneau hasn't been on the car since it was in the dealer's showroom, so I dunno, never gave it a thought really. I haven't tested a downfire system yet to know how they will sound versus the stealth or the designs I made that fire foward. The problem with the stock trunk is that it keeps the sound out of the cabin very well. So what I did was remove the lining on the front trunk wall and built my own panel that covers the upper portion for looks, but leaves the bottom 1/3 open so the bass can channel thru the opening in the rear seat into the cabin. Sorta like the coupe. It really helps lower the trunk pressure. I was testing a vented box we made for the 10w7. Before I could hardly notice the bass, but after I removed the panel and reinstalled the box, the sound was day and night and the bass will blow you away. I should snap a pic of that box. It's kinda neat, but was really just part of our test program.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
dmullen

Drives: 2011 RS Camaro convertible
Boxes look great! Do you know how much air space the stock 10" sub has? It would be cool to use your baffle for the stock sub and then add this box on the side to get two 10" subs in the car. But I would want to use the same two subs.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
bowtye

Drives: 2011 iom ss/rs convertable
yeah! awesome the trunk already fits a book of matches and a can of soda!
bowtye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen View Post
Boxes look great! Do you know how much air space the stock 10" sub has? It would be cool to use your baffle for the stock sub and then add this box on the side to get two 10" subs in the car. But I would want to use the same two subs.
The stock sub is free air and not in a sealed enclosure so no easy way to answer your first question. I'm not sure how it would sound with one sub ib and the other in the stealthbox. If you are wanting two 10s, then we touched on that in part II. Should be releasing that setup pretty soon.

Anyhow, I did some cruising tonight top down with the 10w7 stealthbox and trust me, that one sub is all you really need for bass. It can be heard a long way away from the car--if that is what you're going for. If that's too much bass, then a normal 10 in the smaller stealthbox should be plenty to please you. If that's not enough, then I am planning to get some 12s in there somehow. Obviously that is gonna take up more space and require more design time, which is why we focused on the space saving options first. But I want to end up with a well-rounded selection since everybody likes something different.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
dmullen

Drives: 2011 RS Camaro convertible
Thanks for the reply and info. I didn't realize the stock sub was IB.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
thorr

Drives: 2003 Impala LS (Camaro Engine, lol)
What would the differences in sound be (if any) between putting a 10W3V3 in your sub enclosure vs. in the place where the stock sub goes? I am not sure what IB is all about. It seems like it would work ok in the stock sub location and you wouldn't have to deal with the issue of letting the sound back into the cabin. Do you need the subwoofer replacement mount to put a 10W3V3 in the place of the stock sub, or can you just take the stock sub out and put the new sub in without the additional mount?

Thanks!
Mike
thorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Steve.....any update on the rest of the convertible system you've been working on?
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post
What would the differences in sound be (if any) between putting a 10W3V3 in your sub enclosure vs. in the place where the stock sub goes? I am not sure what IB is all about. It seems like it would work ok in the stock sub location and you wouldn't have to deal with the issue of letting the sound back into the cabin. Do you need the subwoofer replacement mount to put a 10W3V3 in the place of the stock sub, or can you just take the stock sub out and put the new sub in without the additional mount?

Thanks!
Mike
You need our mount in order to fit an aftermarket sub in the factory spot. I tested about 4 different woofers in the factory spot with our mount and not every woofer sounds good there. Some sound decent, others sound like crud. A couple subs I tested I could not hear the bass over the bass coming from the front speakers. So it's going to be hit and miss depending on what sub you use. Sure it's a great location in theory, but the lack of pressure behind the sub causes it to not hit all that well. If it were fully enclosed and sealed tight, it would be an awesome setup in more ways than one. But the way the car is made, it's just not possible to do it very easily. That is why we have been focusing on subs in the trunk because the factory spot has a limitation. The 10w7 in my last couple photos up there hits 10x times harder than any sub I tried in the factory spot. I think ultimately guys will realize this and move to the trunk setups.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Steve.....any update on the rest of the convertible system you've been working on?
The behind the seat mount has been finished and posted for quite awhile now. The stealthboxes as seen above are pretty much finalized this past week and ready for production. Still working on the dual setup that I showed you in part II that has the built-in amp shelf. We may have to change it downfire because of the height restriction. Probably this week I'm gonna start workin to fit a couple 12s if at all possible.

I also made a partial panel for my car that replaces the front trunkwall lining. It covers the top 2/3 and leaves the bottom 1/3 or so open. Removing that carpeting plays a big role in allowing bass to come into the cabin thru the holes in the partitions and rear seat. If you don't remove that lining, then your bass in gonna stay in the trunk, end of story. So I will probably offer that piece as well. The only reason you need it is because with the top up, you can look in the back window and see the bare metal of the wall below the trim. So it's more of a beauty panel than anything.

The side amp mount is going to be available in left and right versions. Till now we only had the left, but now that the stealthboxes our out, we will need a right mount to go with them. Should be easy enough to reverse the design.

So that's where we're at right now.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Yeah, I've seen the pics of the behind the seat mount, but I know you were working on the rear speakers. That is kinda what I am waiting on.....

My plan is to use the behind the seat mount with a better sub. What I'm hoping you will (or did) put together is a package I can purchase. Sub, speakers, adapters, amp, and any other supplies.

Should I just call/email you to discuss??
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote