Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 04-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #85
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Which would probably mean cylinder deactivation.
I know I may be preaching to the choir, however cylinder deactivation is crap in my opinion, sorry to say, and should have an on/off switch inside the car if it is in the new Camaro. I definitely want it sounding like a muscle car and not a Nissan 350z... How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders? If it is only 5%-10% better on gas mileage, then it isn't worth having it on when driving around a parking lot where I want the car sounding as tough as a Mustang for example... If we ever have a hybrid Camaro engine that was silent when driving around a parking lot, you cannot call that an American muscle car by any means as well.

Last edited by Supermans; 04-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #86
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I know I may be preaching to the choir, however cylinder deactivation is crap in my opinion, sorry to say, and should have an on/off switch inside the car if it is in the new Camaro. I definitely want it sounding like a muscle car and not a Nissan 350z... How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders? If it is only 5%-10% better on gas mileage, then it isn't worth having it on when driving around a parking lot where I want the car sounding as tough as a Mustang for example...
Have you ever driven a vehicle with cylinder deactivation? (just curious)

5-10% actually adds up pretty quick, and when you're on the highway cruising for a while, fuel savings are even greater than GM's estimates.

This statement confuses me:
"How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders?"

Do you mean how much more fuel efficient it would be versus a non-AFM V8?

Secondly, it probably won't activate when driving around a parking lot. Check out that video floating around here somewhere with the G8's AFM engaging. Note that at lower speeds, AFM is off, and all 8 cylinders are firing to keep the thing spinning.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #87
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
I'm speculating, which is sometimes a sin on here
A sin? its part of the religion! We only know a few things that will hapen, a few things that won't. Everything else is speculation. So long as it doesn't go against a known fact, its fine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #88
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Have you ever driven a vehicle with cylinder deactivation? (just curious)

5-10% actually adds up pretty quick, and when you're on the highway cruising for a while, fuel savings are even greater than GM's estimates.

This statement confuses me:
"How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders?"

Do you mean how much more fuel efficient it would be versus a non-AFM V8?

Secondly, it probably won't activate when driving around a parking lot. Check out that video floating around here somewhere with the G8's AFM engaging. Note that at lower speeds, AFM is off, and all 8 cylinders are firing to keep the thing spinning.
My main gripe about all this boils down to how loud the v8 should sound. The rumble the car makes when you turn the ignition. Japanese cars engines don't vibrate and they whine instead of growl. American cars do. If you are worried about mileage, get a V6 in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #89
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
I know I may be preaching to the choir, however cylinder deactivation is crap in my opinion, sorry to say, and should have an on/off switch inside the car if it is in the new Camaro. I definitely want it sounding like a muscle car and not a Nissan 350z... How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders? If it is only 5%-10% better on gas mileage, then it isn't worth having it on when driving around a parking lot where I want the car sounding as tough as a Mustang for example... If we ever have a hybrid Camaro engine that was silent when driving around a parking lot, you cannot call that an American muscle car by any means as well.
With all do repect to you, do you know how cylinder deactivation works? It does not sound as though you do, which, is actually good IMO. I say it's good because once you find out exactly how the system works, you'd be suprised to know that the "sound" you are referring to WILL be there. AFM won't kick in while driving around in parking lots. You want the loud rumble? It'll be there. You want to floor it and have everyone look at you? It'll happen.
Quote:
My main gripe about all this boils down to how loud the v8 should sound. The rumble the car makes when you turn the ignition. Japanese cars engines don't vibrate and they whine instead of growl. American cars do. If you are worried about mileage, get a V6 in my opinion.
You won't be running on only 4 cylinders at start up or idle. It cuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders at hwy speeds (and a lil' slower) to save fuel. I've driven veh's w/ this before and you CAN'T tell the difference. If you want a loud V8 rumble, you will get it. If you want it louder, go buy an aftermarket exhaust. I want all the fuel saving crap GM can put in this car AND, AND....I still want to get 30 mpg's. With the way gas prices are going, I'd say the majority of folks here would like the same. Give it a chance. I'm sure it'll work out just fine. If not, aftermarket exhaust.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #90
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
With all do repect to you, do you know how cylinder deactivation works? It does not sound as though you do, which, is actually good IMO. I say it's good because once you find out exactly how the system works, you'd be suprised to know that the "sound" you are referring to WILL be there. AFM won't kick in while driving around in parking lots. You want the loud rumble? It'll be there. You want to floor it and have everyone look at you? It'll happen.

You won't be running on only 4 cylinders at start up or idle. It cuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders at hwy speeds (and a lil' slower) to save fuel. I've driven veh's w/ this before and you CAN'T tell the difference. If you want a loud V8 rumble, you will get it. If you want it louder, go buy an aftermarket exhaust. I want all the fuel saving crap GM can put in this car AND, AND....I still want to get 30 mpg's. With the way gas prices are going, I'd say the majority of folks here would like the same. Give it a chance. I'm sure it'll work out just fine. If not, aftermarket exhaust.
I'm getting more optimistic with what you are telling me about the rumble and sound of the engine. I will never put a larger aftermarket exhaust by the way to make it sound louder. I'll settle with the stock sound. I will give it a chance definitely and will be buying a Camaro for sure if I am lucky enough on day one. My name is already on the number one spot in line with all the dealers in my area and I'll be able to pick the one offering me the best price. If something happens to my car from now until then, I will consider a Challenger RT 6 speed manual transmission where the Multi-Displacement System (cylinder deactivation) is turned off. Rumors of a 7.0 Liter Hemi engine in the 2010 Challenger with over 600HP and in the same price range of the current SRT8 also interests me. I'll probably end up buying both since my wife's Pontiac G6 is getting on in age and she likes the way the Challenger looks. Furthermore she loves the amount of room in the back seat and trunk. We definitely can afford both of these cars at their highest price level, but I might settle with the middle range vehicles on both or one to save some money. I'll probably end up getting the very first Camaro I can get which will probably be simply a fully loaded V8 since I probably can't wait for the top of the line SS/Z28 to come later..

I have two questions... When you are trying to break in the new car, how does cylinder deactivation affect the piston ring sealing since that is also a careful task that needs to be done early on? My other worry about cylinder deactivation is whether or not the wear and tear of both sides of the engine not occurring evenly will cause problems in the future with the engine? Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #91
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
... My name is already on the number one spot in line with all the dealers in my area and I'll be able to pick the one offering me the best price. ..
I have a feeling that for the first year or two at least the customers will be bidding on prices for the cars the dealers are holding, not the other way around like you are thinking!!! :( Even with that obnoxious looking new Mustang the dealers were calling the shots for a long time.
camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #92
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I have a feeling that for the first year or two at least the customers will be bidding on prices for the cars the dealers are holding, not the other way around like you are thinking!!! :( Even with that obnoxious looking new Mustang the dealers were calling the shots for a long time.
In that case I will be buying a Dodge Challenger if the markup is too high. At least by then the Challenger will have been out for awhile..
Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #93
BIGREDZ

Drives: 3000gt VR4
Gm has been running DOD/AFM engines in the trailblazers and envoys since 2003. As far a long term effect there has been non they simply shut off the fuel supply to those cylinders. I work for a chevy store in Metro Detroit and have a # of customers with the 5.3L AFM motors @ 120,000 miles plus and they are still running strong.

All DOD or AFM (same thing just depends on the year) Does is deactivate four of your eight cylinders when 100hp or less is required to propel the vehicle. In most cases even at highway speeds the car(impala) or truck(5.3L silverado's,suburbans,tahoes, and avalanche's) switches back and forth farely frequently do to road conditions(MICHIGAN, I'm not speaking for the flat parts of the country)such as up small hills your typically running all 8 cyl. and down hills cruising on just 4. In the larger vehicles simply driving into a 10 or 15 mph headwind can be enough to keep the cylinders from shutting off.

At city speeds @ or under 45mph the car will only deactivate the cylnder with steady driving speed (such as cruise control or a steady foot) or coastoing to a stop. At idle and under acceleration the engine will always run on all 8 (or 6) cylinders.

I have had two trailblazers with AFM/DOD and currently have a suburban. The system works great and typically gives me about the same fuel economy as my trailblazer customers with their I6 (4.2L) motors.

Dear God,

Please let all that I own be Red and Black and fast as F@$K!!

Amen
BIGREDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #94
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I have two questions... When you are trying to break in the new car, how does cylinder deactivation affect the piston ring sealing since that is also a careful task that needs to be done early on?

My other worry about cylinder deactivation is whether or not the wear and tear of both sides of the engine not occurring evenly will cause problems in the future with the engine? Thanks
1: You're supposed to break in the engine in the city anyways, so the AFM won't have much of a chance to turn on. So, no. I can't see any effect it will have on breaking in your engine.

2: When AFM activates, the valvetrain to 4 cylinders (2 on each side to maintain balance...I think) closes and stops working, the spark stops, and the fuel is cut-off. But the piston keeps moving inside. So wear will generally stay the same as a normal engine.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #95
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Hey I got you all beat...

My RX-8 gets an average of 18 mpg. I'll take anything with better gas right now. I think a Burb gets 18 even with out AFM. I'm having a little buyer's remorse from my car now. I think it will actually be a break for me getting into a Camaro next year regardless if it has AFM or not.

As far as a Muscle car having AFM, it's the direction we are headed. I'm rooting for E85. I want to find out more about that.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #96
BIGREDZ

Drives: 3000gt VR4
http://www.greencar.com/features/features46

You got me looking dragon. Thanks for the extra info. I wasn't aware of the valvetrain shutting down..

Dear God,

Please let all that I own be Red and Black and fast as F@$K!!

Amen
BIGREDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #97
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDZ View Post
http://www.greencar.com/features/features46

You got me looking dragon. Thanks for the extra info. I wasn't aware of the valvetrain shutting down..
Don't mention it. There's a lot of people who don't yet fully understand how AFM works. To some it's AFM = instant Ricer moblie. It's no biggy...but I like to explain things. Sorry I kind of leapfrogged your post by writing that though.

Besides, this can count as you're "Learn something new everyday" for the day.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #98
biggdawg58

Drives: Hunter Green 1995 Z28 T-top
Send a message via Yahoo to biggdawg58
mmmmmm cant wait to get my own, luv V-8
biggdawg58 is offline   Reply With Quote