Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
1LE performance vs regular SS

I was reading that due to the gearing in the 1LE transmission despite the 3:91rear gearing, the 1LE does not produce any better 1/4 mile results than a regular SS.
If that's the case and you aren't out for a canyon carver, wouldn't a regular SS with short throw shifter and NPP exhaust be a good choice ?
I know the 1LE is a road racer design, just don't know if that's really what I want.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
so what's your question? The 1LE is EPIC in stock form.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I was reading that due to the gearing in the 1LE transmission despite the 3:91rear gearing, the 1LE does not produce any better 1/4 mile results than a regular SS.
If that's the case and you aren't out for a canyon carver, wouldn't a regular SS with short throw shifter and NPP exhaust be a good choice ?
I know the 1LE is a road racer design, just don't know if that's really what I want.
Motortrend got 12.9 or 13.0 out of an SS and 12.7 out of a 1LE. Although the hp rating is the same the 1LE is faster.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Mmar88

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP/NAV
i was wondering the same thing...then i bought the 1LE, picking it up monday and i havent thought twice about the decision. I think the 1LE is what the camaro should be...just my 2 cents
Mmar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
BigRedMikeLV

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LE/2SS/RS
It's really down to driver ability in that regard. The 0-60 is definitely faster than a regular SS (4.3 vs 4.8) due to better torque application, but once you start getting to the top end the gearing is very close between the two.

TR6060-MM10 six-speed manual (SS)
Gear ratios (:1):
First: 3.01
Second: 2.07
Third: 1.43
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.84
Sixth: 0.57
Reverse: 3.28
Final drive ratio: 3.45

TR6060-MM6 six-speed manual (1LE)
Gear ratios (:1):
First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.74
Sixth: 0.50
Final drive ratio: 3.91

These aren't drag cars anymore than the SS is, but that isn't the point of them, like you seem to understand. Autocross and dragging are two very different beasts. I've seen dragsters that will eat the competition on the strip, but will fall flat on the track (*cough* Mustangs *cough*) because the track is a "great equalizer" and it's more about the sum of parts rather than how many hamsters you've crammed in a box. The sum of the 1LE against an SS is no competition in that regard.

The 1LE is no slouch though when it comes to mods for dragging, as the drive train has been bolstered by the new gear boxes and drive shafts, so you can hold out for longer on stock elements when boosting your HP.
BigRedMikeLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Sounds like the SS would work fine for you. Especially if have little interest in road racing.
Nothing wrong with buying what you need, and nothing more.

But if you want the wheels & tires, and 3.91, and the ZL1 fuel pump, and the fuzzy steering wheel and shifter knob, then maybe a 1LE is worth a look.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I actually thought the SS should be faster than the 1LE for two reason due to the extra shift needed in the 1LE and the reduced weight transfer (front to rear) caused by the stiffer suspension. Then I thought that if a 4th shift is required, then the first three gears in the 1LE have a combined lower ration than those in the SS, and the tires on the 1LE are much stickier than those on the SS. I guess it makes sense that the 1LE is a bit quicker.

Last edited by gajagfan; 08-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
so what's your question? The 1LE is EPIC in stock form.
You got to enjoy that stock form for about, what, one day

I will just put my opinion here. I went from a 2010 SS to my 13 1LE. I was thinking the samething.....no big deal...mostly appearance...etc.

Was I wrong! The car feels more planted than my 10' as well as I can actually feel the torque. The steering feels better. The forged wheels make it feel better. Reading something and actually driving them are completely different. I say, what you need to do is go out and test drive both and see which one feels better to you.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
You got to enjoy that stock form for about, what, one day

I will just put my opinion here. I went from a 2010 SS to my 13 1LE. I was thinking the samething.....no big deal...mostly appearance...etc.

Was I wrong! The car feels more planted than my 10' as well as I can actually feel the torque. The steering feels better. The forged wheels make it feel better. Reading something and actually driving them are completely different. I say, what you need to do is go out and test drive both and see which one feels better to you.
LOL! I have 1600 miles on it before the build. I was driving from VA to DC every week between delivery and the build so I got an idea of stock capabilities. SO worth the $3500!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
schecter7

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
If you're coming from an SS, go for a ZL1 (even a used one for < 50K) and call it a day. If you're buying an SS for the first time, get the 1LE package by all means. That's my 2 cents.
schecter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
strokerls1

Drives: 2015 Charger Hellcat
My comparison from another thread:

I have a CAI on my 1LE with NPP exhaust. I will get a few dyno runs soon. I also had a 2013 SS with NPP and the same CAI. I can tell you that both cars feel almost identical with a slight edge to the SS because of the steeper 1st and 2nd gearing. The main gearing difference between the two are for the 3rd to 4th shifts where the SS would fall on its face and the 1LE will keep the revs higher. This would possible help 1/4 mile times in the 1LE where as in the SS I would hit the top of 3rd gear going through the traps and it would bounce off the rev limiter. If I short shifted to 4th than it would lug through the traps and hurt the time even worse. BTW best 1/4 mile time was 12.7 at 113 in the SS with the CAI.

There is the un-sprung weight of the wheels on the 1LE compared to the SS, but the overall weight of the 1LE is more. I weighed the SS at Atlanta Dragway and it came in at 3790 with 1/4 of gas. I would bet a 2013 SS and 2013 1LE will put down close to the same numbers on the dyno with both having EPS and NPP. I love the 1LE when it comes to the overall feel over the SS, but performance wise in a straight line will be a toss up.
strokerls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
*edit, re-read the OP's post. I'll just bold the pertinent info*

Seems like we are getting this question almost daily.

I've been able to drive both. After writing several long winded posts comparing the two *My modded SS vs my friend's 1LE with nearly identical powertrain mods (he has a different intake)* I'll give you the readers digest verison:

If you're buying new, you're nuts to not check the "1LE" box on the order form. For 3500 bucks you're getting about 5K worth of upgrades (if you count installation for the non DIY types) The 1LE drives how the SS SHOULD drive. In my most humble opinion the 1LE is the true "finished" product in the evolutionary chain of the SS model Camaro. (ZL1 and z/28 are excluded)

Even if you will NEVER take your car to the track, Even if the closest thing to "tearing it up" will be a spirited drive down a desolate road, get a 1LE. This is a performance car, if you want a cushy ride, go get a Caddilac

That being said. If you're like me, and have added full bolt ons, firmer springs, lighter than stock wheels, and wider rubber, then that means you're north of several grand deep into the mod department. It makes more sense to just keep on modding, throw some gears and sways onto your SS and be happy with your car.

I think a set of gears, and some pfadt sways would make my car perform just as well as a 1LE.... for less money than the tax, title and licensing would cost me on a new 1LE.

If I could walk away from my SS without taking a financial hit on the trade in (i'm not even upside down in my loan =p), re licensing, tax, and paying to have all of my parts swapped, of course I would consider a 1LE, but for me, and many other SS owners that likely isn't a realistic scenario.

Of course, some folks have to have EXACTLY what they want. #YOLO right?? Even if it means taking a huge hit in the piggy bank they're gonna go out and get that 1LE. Which is fine too. Your life, your money.

Anywhoo.. so much for avoiding a long winded post
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
HighMtnSS

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE, 1 of 139
I'm a 1LE owner/driver.

My opinion is that the 1LE >>SS...plain and simple.

I previously drove a '11 2SS. The 1LE is "hands down" a better all around package.

I also have owned/driven an '07 C6 Z06 and a '07 C6 Z51- my honest opinion is that my current 1LE beats my beloved C6 Z06 in almost every way...except in looks and the straight line acceleration bad asz-ness that is the 7.0/427ci hand built engine in that beast of a machine. And, the 1LE crushes the performance of my C6 Z51 IMHO...and, can fit the kids in the back as well.

When I bought my 1LE, I went to pick up a ZL1 that I had ordered. I saw my current car and inquired about it...I was told that someone ordered it, but decided on another car (2SS), so, it was available. I drove my current 1LE and decided right there, on the spot, to purchase it. My dealer was happy to oblige because they had "a list" of folks looking to buy ZL1's.

I couldn't be happier with my 1LE!!! :-)

It's a great daily driver and superior "weekend warrior" track machine as well.
HighMtnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I know they aren't built with drag racing in mind, but if a 1LE will run a 12.7 bone stock on factory OE tires, that's pretty quick. Not too many stock SS's can do that. To be honest, considering what you get for the 3500.00 option it should pretty much be a no-brainer for anyone considering buying a new SS Camaro. I know that's what I'd get if I were in the market.