Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
What Not to Say When Pulled Over by a Cop

saw this on Yahoo & thought you guys might want to be educated on what to say or not to say when pulled over by a cop. (even if the cop is a c5 cop lol)

In what he calls an "educational video" that's widely circulated on YouTube, comedian Chris Rock offers advice on what to do when you get pulled over for a traffic violation.

"Obey the law" he says. "Stop immediately" and "stay in your car with your hands on the wheel." Finally, "if your woman is mad at you, leave her at home. There's nothing she'd like to see more than you getting your [you-know-what] kicked."

It's a dead-on spoof of a hard truth: Respect authority. If you don't, you increase the odds of a pricey ticket.

[Click here to check auto rates in your area.]

"Everything in that video is absolutely true," said Sgt. Matthew Koep of the South Plainfield, N.J., Police Department. "It's funny, but it's accurate."

Citizens who are generally law-abiding are likely to come into contact with the police only under two circumstances: If you're a crime victim or you get pulled over for a traffic violation.

[See the Most Stolen Vehicles in the United States]

Police officers are not out to make your life miserable, but to make sure you're following the rules of the road and not endangering yourself or those around you.

With a few exceptions, and an egregious traffic violation is top among them, cops aren't mandated to write tickets. Most would rather send you on your way with a friendly warning -- that can save you time and money.

But handle the situation with an aggressive or arrogant attitude and you can expect to squeeze an expensive court date into your busy schedule.

Play Nice

First rule: don't argue.

"I get this all the time," said Karen Rittorno, a nine-year veteran with the Chicago Police Department. "'What are you stopping me for? I didn't do nothing.' If they try to take charge of the traffic stop, they're not going to get out of it without a ticket," she said. "We ask the questions, not them."

Accept that the police have caught you doing something that's against the law, such as speeding or gliding through a stop sign.

"All we do is react to what people do when you pull them over," said Dennis Fanning, a homicide detective and veteran officer with the Los Angeles Police Department. "We don't instigate the stuff, but we will react to you. The situation will escalate or de-escalate depending on how that person reacts."

To argue with cops is akin to calling them idiots. Don't do that. "That's implying that I pulled you over for no reason and that bothers me," Koep said.

Keep It Honest

Don't lie, either. Cops are trained to note the human characteristics of lying, including twitching and looking to the left, and they know the right questions to ask to suss out the truth.

Fanning estimates that nine out of 10 people lie to him. "It's an attack on our intelligence," he said.

Moreover, the truth can set you free. Koep recalled an incident when he pulled a young guy over for speeding.

"He looks straight at me and says, 'You know, officer, I wasn't even paying attention. I just had the best date of my life. I just met my future bride. I'm just on cloud nine right now.'

"The guy was completely serious," Koep said. "How are you going to write that guy up after that? Who makes that kind of stuff up?"

Of course, don't use pejoratives when addressing the police, unless you're eager for a ticket. But other words may backfire, too. Rittorno works in a crime-ridden section of Chicago where the majority of people she pulls over for traffic violations don't have licenses or insurance, she said.

"So I get a lot of, 'I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean it, sweetheart,'" she said. "I hate being called 'baby' or 'sweetheart.' I'm 'officer' to you.''

The police don't like being talked over, either. "Be polite," said Chicago Officer Mike Thomas. "You have your rights as a citizen, too, but it doesn't do you any good to talk while he's talking."

Cops know that people are nervous when they get pulled over, and they expect a certain amount of jumpiness when they approach a car. Rittorno even admitted she's intimidated in the same situation. "I'm the police and I get scared if I get pulled over," she said.

But did you know they're on edge, too? You know who they are, but they don't know whether you're a good guy or a bad guy. "The only thing on his mind when he approaches you is safety," Thomas said. "You know you don't have a gun in your lap, but the officer doesn't know it."

Rittorno, for one, said she assumes everyone has a gun. "I'm always on 10," she said, referring to her high level of vigilance. "I take it down depending on their demeanor or what I see."

[See the Most and Least Expensive Cars to Insure ]

Stay Calm

When those headlights go on, it's best to pull the car to the right, stay in the car, turn the interior lights on if it's dark and put your hands on the steering wheel.

Don't make any quick movements, and don't turn to grab your purse or put your hands in your pocket or under your seat to retrieve your license -- until the officer instructs you to. Then, do it slowly.

Don't move to open the glove box either, until directed. And do that slowly, too. Let the police shine a light inside the box before you reach in. Many criminals hide guns in glove boxes.

"What's going to cause the situation to get worse is for the fear factor to rise in that officer," Koep said. "The officer is more likely to cut you a break as long as you can reduce that fear. …If you're friendly with me, not arguing or denying what happened, that lowers the fear factor and will make me a lot more cooperative with you."

Don't boast about who you know, either. That can infuriate cops. They consider it a veiled threat to their livelihoods. Fortunately, most municipalities have laws in place to insure that an officer is not fired or reprimanded for ticketing, say, the mayor's daughter.

Finally, never try to buy off a cop. "In those instances where they've offered me a bribe," Fanning said. "I loved making those arrests."

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Yahoo news notorious for posting common sense, and then pretending it to be some insider tips, or what not. lol...

Thanks Yahoo for again wasting my time.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
eb_SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SSRS SGM
I think we can do better:

"Of course I know how fast I was going, it has a heads up display."

I'll add this to my signature.
eb_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
"I didn't think it was loaded officer!"

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

my favorate one is when I got pulled over by a cop that I grew up with.
Tammy what are you doing.
being a dumb a$$

I got out of the ticket, I was going 40 in a 25 lol

Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
"You must be a Ford guy."
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
"You must be a Ford guy."
i wouldnt say that to this cop he just got the new charger for his cop car lol

Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
i wouldnt say that to this cop he just got the new charger for his cop car lol
I be scared to be chased by a police charger. One of the Chargers in my area is an SRT8 version
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icandrivejustnotlegally View Post
I be scared to be chased by a police charger. One of the Chargers in my area is an SRT8 version
I think his is too lol

Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

That must be fun to drive. I driven an 07 daytona charger. I can't imagine an srt8 with no traffic when he uses his sirens
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
WOLFINN_2SS
Wuf! Wuf! *Low Growl*

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 IBM/S HUD SR ATAK
What not to say to a cop after being pulled over

hehe.. I passed you.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFINN_2SS View Post
hehe.. I passed you.
Thats great idea
Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #13
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Everything on that post is pretty much dead on!!

My patrol car is a 2008 Dodge Charger 5.7....not bad, i had more room in the vic but this is a ton faster