Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
Here is the suggested breakdown:

NGK Plug Part# = Shot Size
B6EFS(1 Step Colder) 3177 = 0-75
BR7EF(2 Steps Colder) 3346 = 75-150
B8EFS(3 Steps Colder) 1049 = 150-225
B9EFS(4 Steps Colder) 1085 = 225-300

Also recommended is to pull 2* per 50hp.
Thank you for this. Safe is always better. If I can't get a tune in my hypertech blank spot I will probably pull about 3-4 degrees of timing manually and just drive like that. With an underdrive pulley I probably wont even notice the pull.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #30
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
Thank you for this. Safe is always better. If I can't get a tune in my hypertech blank spot I will probably pull about 3-4 degrees of timing manually and just drive like that. With an underdrive pulley I probably wont even notice the pull.
Just curious, how do you plan to pull timing manually?
Also, you plan on lifting during the shift? A window switch has programmable rpm set points, a lower engage and an upper disengage. Therefore, you would not have to lift. You could keep your foot buried and let it shift in auto.
Do you plan on holding the n2o button in, lifting the pedal and the tapping the paddle?
Seems like room for human error.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #31
05SilverStreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Just curious, how do you plan to pull timing manually?
Also, you plan on lifting during the shift? A window switch has programmable rpm set points, a lower engage and an upper disengage. Therefore, you would not have to lift. You could keep your foot buried and let it shift in auto.
Do you plan on holding the n2o button in, lifting the pedal and the tapping the paddle?
Seems like room for human error.
Pulling timing manually was something the guy at the shop threw out there. After looking into to that I dont really see a way other than tuning. No lift shifting. Im gonna let it spray through the shifts.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #32
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Pulling timing manually was something the guy at the shop threw out there. After looking into to that I dont really see a way other than tuning. No lift shifting. Im gonna let it spray through the shifts.
Tuning, or an external timing retarder that could be activated when you press your N2O button.
Be aware that if for some reason you bounce off the rev limiter between shifts, the engine will cut the amount of fuel via injectors, and a few other things. That lean condition would be very bad. And on top of that, you have a dry system. When I got my tune, I requested that spark be cut and not fuel. Also I have the LNC2000 timing retarder, which has an upper or lower rpm set point for cutting spark.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #33
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Any update silver?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #34
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
that lingenfelter timing box is what you need. You also need to verify what your timing map is first. Plus that fuel psi is stable. I wouldn't do it on the Hypertech...I actually asked one the guys that helped write that tune when I was beta testing for them that exact question...that's a nono. get it dyno tuned. A dry shot has to have the mapping in the tune for the fuel. A wet shot with it on the stock tune, a colder plug and timing pulled may work fine. That's a MAY though. I quit reading about midway down page 1...hopefully you figured that out.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Quote:
How about this? If I was to transform this to a wet kit right away, all I would have to do is run the fuel line off the stock pump to the plate behind the throttle body right? (Assuming of course I had one to put there). After that if I am correct in my thinking its just run the nitrous line and the fuel line to the plate and Im good? I could probably at that that point change the tune or retard the timing myself 2 degrees and run the 150 shot. Just thinking out loud. Anyone got pics of how they ran the fuel line off the stock pump?
With no solenoid? What will keep the fuel from spraying all the time?!?

You should rethink all this before you blow it up. Don't reinvent the wheel. Either get a nitrous tune for your car, or get a wet kit and a timing controller.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #36
05SilverStreak

Ok we are getting into it now. BadBubba, I have been out of town for a couple days. I haven't even finished the install yet, (almost there though). I am going slow with this so I dont make mistakes, and like I stated earlier I am new to nitrous, so I am not taking chances or rushing. I take it the Hypertech is out. I get that. I am being told by the manufacturer of this kit and the shop tuner that I am ok to spray 75-100 dry into the MAF on stock timing with one step colder plug and the pump and injectors will take care of the rest, for 150 its a whole new ball park. I also hear the need to pull timing, 2 degrees per 50hp. Manufacturer intructions, (as per a phone call to them), states that I will be ok with this setup on my engine to 100 HP dry with pulling only 2 degrees of timing and the one step colder plug, again fuel pump and injectors will be ok. So here is my next question: To be able to spray the 100 all the time, like at the track or screwing around on the street, I will need that LNC200 to pull timing for me, and the one step colder plug. What is confusing me is the need for fuel mapping in the tune for only a 100 shot. The MAF sould see the extra oxygen molecule and push the injectors to match. I mean that is the whole concept of how the dry shot works, right? Obviously wet is safer and needed for higher spray levels, but a few guys have laughed at me for not just spraying the 100 shot now the way I am setup even with the hypertech. Thanks for all the replies, just fishing for the info here.

PS, just for the record, there are quite a few people messaging me as well as guys I run into on the street saying that this engine and how I am setup not will have no issue with the 100 shot dry, even with the hypertech. I will not name any names cause I dont want any bashing. Everyone is trying to be helpful.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
05SilverStreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
With no solenoid? What will keep the fuel from spraying all the time?!?

You should rethink all this before you blow it up. Don't reinvent the wheel. Either get a nitrous tune for your car, or get a wet kit and a timing controller.
Yes, I am not trying to be a dumbass here. I am probably at some point going to make it a wet kit. With the throttle body plate and nitrous in one side and a fuel line with solenoid wired to relay switch and activation box. I know my posts are all over the place, but I am trying to learn here. Thanks for the concern. And also I am going to get a wideband or some way to montior A/F ratios before I even fire off the 50 shot. I still have a ways to go before I try it.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #38
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
The mafs does not read oxygen molecules, it reads air temp and the mass of air coming in.

IMHO your doing it wrong. You'll need the LPE unit and a custom NOS tune when you arm the system. That's something you can't do with a handheld devise. Just my .2
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #39
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

PS, just for the record, there are quite a few people messaging me as well as guys I run into on the street saying that this engine and how I am setup not will have no issue with the 100 shot dry, even with the hypertech. I will not name any names cause I dont want any bashing. Everyone is trying to be helpful.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why they would just pm you and not post. They may be able to add something that could be helpful to others. As long as they can explain it in a concise manner with no mysteries.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #40
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

MAF does not measure oxygen.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

I believe this is your system
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=118
This dry nitrous system is full adjustable from 50-100HP and up to 175HP with special tuning. The best part is that it works with your factory EFI system.This Dry system utilizes your factory injectors to add the extra fuel needed to make more power. By spraying Cold Nitrous oxide across the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) it tricks the factory computer into thinking there is a lot more air going into the engine. The Vehicles factory ECM adds additional fuel via the OEM fuel injectors. Simple, clean and very powerful!*This System will work on 8 Cylinder Engines and comes complete with all the parts and instructions needed for installation. The system is adjustable from 50 to 100 HP.*

If going this route, still suggest window switch, colder plugs, logging the afr and timing retarder. And it would be great if you could log muliple pids as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #42
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
And checking those plugs!!

I'm just saying cause I'd hate for anyone to go thru the pain of blown motors and rebuilding. Lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote