Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
CV3435

Drives: Black 2LT/RS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
Not sure if this is related but have heard it quite a few times...

Seems to happen mostly in reverse with the wheel fully cranked in 1 direction. There have been post about it happening to others if this is the same problem. The easiest way to fix the problem is to not crank your wheel.
The wheel doesnt have to be cranked all the way to experience the noise
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
CV3435

A guy found a problem with the rear differential. They opened it up and refilled it and mixed in some synthetic axle lubricant to allow it to slide better and he said he noticed a big difference. I'm beginning to think that just because they are all doing it doesnt mean its okay to overlook.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
interesting.... but I have not had this problem yet so I can't help you. good luck

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
zerolm

Drives: Ford F-350/ 2SS/RS M6
Mine does it everytime I leave the driveway and turn onto my street. I always notice it then, and usually don't notice it for the rest of the day. I never complained because I'm sure it is just the limited slip differential sliding as I turn. What happens when the car has been sitting for an extended period of time? The oil in the center section all falls to the bottom because of gravity, leaving alot of moving parts "dry", when you first pull out, this dryness causes your limited slip to make a little bit of noise. After you go down the road and the diff rolls through the oil, the parts are much better lubricated when you make your next turn, and go on through your day. After that you will not notice the noise again until your car sits for quite a few hours. At least this seems true on my car.
I wouldn't use an oil other than recommended because if it is "too slick", your limited slip will act more like a non limited slip differential and who wants that? I haven't read the other thread about this, just wanted to put in my "2 cents"...........
zerolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
It's gear and clutch noise from the limited slip differential. Under the conditions you describe the outside wheel is turning more revolutions than the inside wheel and the sound you hear is the clutches in the differential dealing with the different rotating speeds of one halfshaft compared to the other.

Mine does this too; it's normal and nothing to worry about.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
MotorCityTransplant

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro CGM 6M
It is the limited slip. Take it to your dealer and they will open up your rear end to check for any damage and then add the correct amount of friction additive. After you get this you'll be good to go.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV3435 View Post
I had this in the issues section too but wasnt getting any replies on It and I wanted some knowledge of it before I got to the dealership but Ill just post over from that one. sorry for two threads:(

Ok I have an update. The memo he gave me didn't sound like the problem I am having. It was in reference to suspension noises coming from the front end while hitting small bumps at low speeds. I hopped in a pre owned manual 2SS and immediately heard the same noise pulling out of the parking space. The noise is very significant and if your camaro was doing it, you would know. Posi track clutches? So maybe the manuals are the only ones making this noise?

Slake you got a link?
MikeTSS I'm getting pretty positive all the manuals do it. I can also probably relate and say it does it worse when the car is cold.
I'm pretty positive that mine DOESN'T do it
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
CV3435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
It's gear and clutch noise from the limited slip differential. Under the conditions you describe the outside wheel is turning more revolutions than the inside wheel and the sound you hear is the clutches in the differential dealing with the different rotating speeds of one halfshaft compared to the other.

Mine does this too; it's normal and nothing to worry about.
When you say "dealing with the different rotating speeds" what is involved with dealing with it? it sounds like gears that need to be a little more lubricated having trouble with the adjustment and binding up. I think the right amount of additive would be a good idea. I dont know, I wanna have the dealer open up my diff and see whats going on in there and look for signs of wear and tear
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #23
CV3435

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityTransplant View Post
It is the limited slip. Take it to your dealer and they will open up your rear end to check for any damage and then add the correct amount of friction additive. After you get this you'll be good to go.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Thanks for the posting this. I have had this same noise on my car once in a while going up a driveway while wheel cranked left or right.
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #25
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV3435 View Post
When you say "dealing with the different rotating speeds" what is involved with dealing with it? it sounds like gears that need to be a little more lubricated having trouble with the adjustment and binding up. I think the right amount of additive would be a good idea. I dont know, I wanna have the dealer open up my diff and see whats going on in there and look for signs of wear and tear
The clutches work to transfer power from one side to the other when there's a difference in rotating speeds of one side compared to the other. It assumes the side that's spinning faster is losing or has lost traction so the clutches transfer the power from the "spinning" side to the slower side. You're hearing the clutches doing their thing. The gears are not binding up.

I drained the diff fluid early on and replaced it with Royal Purple's MaxGear 75w90 gear oil. It will help quieten the gears as well as make the gears operate smoother.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
SSN8R
Addicted to G's

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SSRS / 2002 Camaro SS NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I drained the diff fluid early on and replaced it with Royal Purple's MaxGear 75w90 gear oil. It will help quieten the gears as well as make the gears operate smoother.
I hope you included the friction additive.
SSN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #27
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSN8R View Post
I hope you included the friction additive.
Don't need it with RP. It's all ready to go.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #28
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
yup lim slip diff, drain the fluid and refill with Royal Purple has the friction additive already
either be completly gone or quieter, takes 20 mins