Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I'll try to help some here. I'll state what I did and the results so you can get some ideas.I did magnaflow axelback first with an airaid intake. Did these at about 800 miles on the car. The magnaflows were so boomy in the car on the freeway that the res x went on in 3 days. Took the boom and drone way down to acceptable levels, quiet at idle, some boom in the 1-2000 rpm range around town and only a little exhaust sound on the freeway.the sound didnt change at all even after miles on the whole exhaust.Shorties were on next at 7-8000 miles. These made it more quiet around town, a bit louder on the freeway and louder and more growl when your foot is into it. Resonater(stock ones) delete, a bit louder, a bit more boom and deeper, the magnaflows needed something to sound better, just to quiet and really dont sound that good as to tone to be honest. Next Injen long tube intake, in two weeks the drone I had was gone! and a meaner, deeper more powerful sound then the airaid, more power to and I did notice the difference.

Anyway, now to MRT V2. Put em on and WAY LOUD and boomy! Swear it was the V1's I had. you just touched the throttle and the sound went way up.Well the stock resonators went back on and that helped alot, more so in proportion then the x pipe helped the magnaflows, I assume because the mrt's are much louder then the magi's and the x pipe didnt help as much this time. I guess its just my whole setup and the engines response to it. I cant imagine it without the x pipe as after 1500 miles the mrt's have mellowed some and some of the cabin boom is gone and now just comes from out back of the car, but still there and at freeway speeds. Any more quiet though and no good I would think.

Overall I like the setup now.As far a the x pipe helping then it should to some degree, it deepens, smooths and makes the sound quieter.I would estimate from how mine reacted and I have heard Sneaks 20's mrt v1 setup, that the x pipe could bring the v1 to v2 levels or a bit better. Note that intake or headers or both will change things, and like I did, you may have to spend $ and experiment alittle to get what you want.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #16
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
I had my heart set on V1.. then changed my mind to V2.. and now im back to V1 lol can u post a vid of ur car for me? wanna hear as many clips as possible! so the magnaflow resonated x pipe will help mellow it out? would it make sense to remove the resonators to make it louder then add in the x pipe to quite it? would that beat the purpose? lol
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
I had my heart set on V1.. then changed my mind to V2.. and now im back to V1 lol can u post a vid of ur car for me? wanna hear as many clips as possible! so the magnaflow resonated x pipe will help mellow it out? would it make sense to remove the resonators to make it louder then add in the x pipe to quite it? would that beat the purpose? lol
Lol, hope you dont change your mind again. Lol

The decision is simple. V1 if u want to be heard all the time or v2 if u want to be heard only when u want to(referring to pushing pedal to the metal). You will not go wrong with either one. I for one like to hear my exhaust when i go in tunels or under a fwy bridge. That sound is......priceless.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #18
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks20 View Post
Lol, hope you dont change your mind again. Lol

The decision is simple. V1 if u want to be heard all the time or v2 if u want to be heard only when u want to(referring to pushing pedal to the metal). You will not go wrong with either one. I for one like to hear my exhaust when i go in tunels or under a fwy bridge. That sound is......priceless.

and I thought I was the only one who did this..........
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
CliffjumperRS

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
and I thought I was the only one who did this..........
NOPE!!
2010 1LT/RS GCN | Roto-Fab CAI | MRT V2.0 | Defenderworx: Chrome Shifter, Polished Door Kick Plates, Polished Door Sills, Black Side Vent Inserts, Chrome Bow Ties, Chrome Cup Holder Surround| GM: Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Splash Guards, Wheel Mounted Audio Control, PDIM, 4 Gauge Cluster, Footwell & Cupholder Lighting, Switchblade Silver Interior Trim Kit, Premium Floor Mats| Oracle: Aqua Blue Dome & Trunk LED's, Bright White Plate LED's | RS Chrome Valve Stem Caps | Shined by Adam's & Meguiar's
CliffjumperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
CV3435

Drives: Black 2LT/RS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
I'll try to help some here. I'll state what I did and the results so you can get some ideas.I did magnaflow axelback first with an airaid intake. Did these at about 800 miles on the car. The magnaflows were so boomy in the car on the freeway that the res x went on in 3 days. Took the boom and drone way down to acceptable levels, quiet at idle, some boom in the 1-2000 rpm range around town and only a little exhaust sound on the freeway.the sound didnt change at all even after miles on the whole exhaust.Shorties were on next at 7-8000 miles. These made it more quiet around town, a bit louder on the freeway and louder and more growl when your foot is into it. Resonater(stock ones) delete, a bit louder, a bit more boom and deeper, the magnaflows needed something to sound better, just to quiet and really dont sound that good as to tone to be honest. Next Injen long tube intake, in two weeks the drone I had was gone! and a meaner, deeper more powerful sound then the airaid, more power to and I did notice the difference.

Anyway, now to MRT V2. Put em on and WAY LOUD and boomy! Swear it was the V1's I had. you just touched the throttle and the sound went way up.Well the stock resonators went back on and that helped alot, more so in proportion then the x pipe helped the magnaflows, I assume because the mrt's are much louder then the magi's and the x pipe didnt help as much this time. I guess its just my whole setup and the engines response to it. I cant imagine it without the x pipe as after 1500 miles the mrt's have mellowed some and some of the cabin boom is gone and now just comes from out back of the car, but still there and at freeway speeds. Any more quiet though and no good I would think.

Overall I like the setup now.As far a the x pipe helping then it should to some degree, it deepens, smooths and makes the sound quieter.I would estimate from how mine reacted and I have heard Sneaks 20's mrt v1 setup, that the x pipe could bring the v1 to v2 levels or a bit better. Note that intake or headers or both will change things, and like I did, you may have to spend $ and experiment alittle to get what you want.
Thanks blackbee, I think im going to keep what I have and try to magnaflow X. I'll post vids soon. Might post one of how it is now just for a before/after.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #21
CV3435

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG11385

This is where I got mine. Just make them an offer and they will email you the best price. It was like 79 for me don't know what it is now.
I am not seeing the magnaflow X-pipe btw
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
CV3435

I just made a video with a cold start and it sounded horrid. I'm not even going to post it, the majority of the noise sounds like air leaking. I'm giong to call the muffler shop right now.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #23
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
Not in what I experienced! I would keep the stock ones in.But in my case I think, as they did no my z28, the headers are now adding more sound /boom with the louder mufflers so I needed mine in.Before the headers made it less boomy around town, just shows different combos will get different results.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV3435 View Post
I am not seeing the magnaflow X-pipe btw
Looks like a big muffler, about 14" long with two inlets and two outlets. There's a 2.25" and a 2.5" inlet unit. Might as well get the 2.5" for more flow.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
That is it. It does come across as a muffler but it is an xpipe inside. I deleted my resonators and replaced them with this.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #26
CV3435

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
That is it. It does come across as a muffler but it is an xpipe inside. I deleted my resonators and replaced them with this.
Good call. Ill probably order that in the next few days.

As for my 1.0's..... I just got welded up and I would now advise MRT to not even include clamps in the package and require welding. Less vibrations in the car, smoother sound at idle, a little quiter in cab at low rpms, and at high rpms, still the same, very aggressive sound just maybe a little smoother now. I am going to be satisfied with what I have now and let them break in a little bit. I will post a video of a cold start once the car gets cold
My only criticism at this point is that the sound does not match the camaro in my opinion. If you've ever heard a 350Z with some good money put into the exhaust, it sounds more like that. Nice smooth note, even at high rpms, that can be heard quite a few cars ahead. Typical V6 rasp you experience from flowmaster and other more common mufflers is hardly even there so, I believe the MRT sound, though not heard from a camaro until now, is the best sound you are going to get out of a V6. I am anxious to see what my next exhaust components will do for the note.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Glad it is coming together for you
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #28
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV3435 View Post
Good call. Ill probably order that in the next few days.

As for my 1.0's..... I just got welded up and I would now advise MRT to not even include clamps in the package and require welding. Less vibrations in the car, smoother sound at idle, a little quiter in cab at low rpms, and at high rpms, still the same, very aggressive sound just maybe a little smoother now. I am going to be satisfied with what I have now and let them break in a little bit. I will post a video of a cold start once the car gets cold
My only criticism at this point is that the sound does not match the camaro in my opinion. If you've ever heard a 350Z with some good money put into the exhaust, it sounds more like that. Nice smooth note, even at high rpms, that can be heard quite a few cars ahead. Typical V6 rasp you experience from flowmaster and other more common mufflers is hardly even there so, I believe the MRT sound, though not heard from a camaro until now, is the best sound you are going to get out of a V6. I am anxious to see what my next exhaust components will do for the note.
Its gonna get smoother over time. Mine has toned down and smoothen out soo much since the day I came out of the shop. Im at about 650KM now since the install and its gotten much smoother.

changing headers from stock to a good set of shorties will deepen the sound if you want more of a growl. I am soo happy with my combination and I would recommend it to everyone. MRT 1.0 + DT headers (completely welded install) EDIT and absolutely no need to remove the resonators with 1.0 as they perform fantastic!

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote