Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
general23cmp

Drives: 2010 RS SS
L99 launch, no one using comp mode?

I've read the numerous threads on how to launch the L99 A6...

Most state that they use sport mode with TC off. I seldom see anyone state that they use competitive mode. Why is this? Is that not what it was made for??

Thanks.
general23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Ive had the best success with both the traction control and stabilitrak off and the car in "sport" mode which is "m" without touching the paddles.

Last edited by Supercharged SS; 08-24-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
general23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Ive had the best success with both the traction control and stabilitrak off and the car in "sport" mode which is "m" with touching the paddles.
I think you meant "without" touching the paddles, but that appears to be what most are using. No one really using competitive mode.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Yes "without"! Good catch. I stay as far away from those things as I can.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
I've read the numerous threads on how to launch the L99 A6...

Most state that they use sport mode with TC off. I seldom see anyone state that they use competitive mode. Why is this? Is that not what it was made for??

Thanks.
think of "Competative Mode" as something that is useful when going around a track when you're racing several other cars. you don't want the computer system applying the brakes to any of your wheels just because they slip a little bit when you're going through a turn. you wanna rip through that turn and use your accelerator to control how much power your wheels are getting.

Traction Control - ON - keeps your wheels from spinning out.

Traction Control - OFF - allows your wheels to spin out if the conditions allow it.

StabiliTrak - ON - "StabiliTrak selectively applies braking pressure at any one of the vehicle's brakes to help steer the vehicle in the direction which you are steering"

StabiliTrak - OFF - you might be fish-tailing all over the road if it's wet and curvy.

Quote:
Ive had the best success with both the traction control and stabilitrak off and the car in "sport" mode which is "m" without touching the paddles.
if you shift it into "M" and don't touch the paddle shifters, the transmission acts as if you had shifted into "D". And yes, on a side note, AFM still engages while driving in "M" - using paddle shifters or not. the point of "M" is to use the paddle shifters to control your shifting and RPM's when you want to shift... and to actually take off in 1st gear - because you would otherwise take off from a dead stop in 2nd gear.

to take off properly with an L99:

- come to a complete stop.
- shift into "M".
- turn off Traction Control by tapping that button down by the gear shift, once.
- tap the left paddle to drop it into 1st gear.
- let off the brake and punch it.
- shift at the desired RPM.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
I have never tried with competive mode at the track. I will have to try it next time out. Always run with traction off.
lewylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

the only time i ever drive with Traction Control on is when it's raining and the roads are slick. StabiliTrak is a good safety feature for driving around town, or when you're just cruising. but if you were on the track, running some laps with other cars, you might turn it off.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Offically, who am I to speak? Having said that, I LOVE Competition Mode!!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

If you make enough power you can blow right through both the TC and the stabitrak.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Quote:
If you make enough power you can blow right through both the TC and the stabitrak.
yeah well i'm not thinking the stock engine and tune will counteract TC/ST
Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
if you shift it into "M" and don't touch the paddle shifters, the transmission acts as if you had shifted into "D". And yes, on a side note, AFM still engages while driving in "M" - using paddle shifters or not. the point of "M" is to use the paddle shifters to control your shifting and RPM's when you want to shift... and to actually take off in 1st gear - because you would otherwise take off from a dead stop in 2nd gear.

to take off properly with an L99:

- come to a complete stop.
- shift into "M".
- turn off Traction Control by tapping that button down by the gear shift, once.
- tap the left paddle to drop it into 1st gear.
- let off the brake and punch it.
- shift at the desired RPM.
The 'M' mode has a different set of parameters than the 'D' mode, if you do not touch the paddle shifters. It shifts more aggressively. Using the paddle shifters at the drag strip will probably yield slower times than just allowing 'M' (sport mode) especially the first shift in my opinion.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing

Last edited by bi11ymc; 08-25-2010 at 07:05 AM.
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
+1, I have tuned my "M" mode differently from the "D" mode....it's different....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
general23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
+1, I have tuned my "M" mode differently from the "D" mode....it's different....
I believe M is different than D in stock form too.

KeepItGreasy's description of competitive mode sounds a lot like Stabiltrack to me. Is that correct. I was under the impression comp mode was for launching.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
I run constant 12.8s with m mode only.. when I use the paddles I run 12.6 and better. is something wrong here

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote